kjs

Canadian Bacon on the KK

Made some Canadian bacon over the weekend.

Cured using maple sugar and curing salts for two weeks.

post-2479-0-80032700-1440523085_thumb.jp

Placed on the KK with apple wood smoke

post-2479-0-84338900-1440523147_thumb.jp

Four hours later

post-2479-0-21780000-1440523209_thumb.jp

post-2479-0-58524600-1440523727_thumb.jp

All sliced and ready to enjoy. We made eggs benedict for 10 people on Sunday

(sorry no time to take photos when making that many servings) 

Next time I make it for just my wife and I, I'll be sure to post photographs.

KJS - I'd love to have the details of your cure, smoke, etc. This looks too dadgummed good to not try here at ChezChef.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks CeramicChef. Here is a step-by-step.

First:

I refer to the "Morton Home Meat Curing Guide" Morton-Windsor-Home-Meat-Curing-Guide.pdf this is an updated guide not sure about the first puplish date, but I suspect it may have been the early 60's. I use Morton Sugar Cure and add maple sugar or 100% maple syrup. On page 12 you will see a chart giving you the number of oz of cure per pound of meat and the curing time per inch thickness of product. You can purchase Morton products online, most farm and hunting stores, and some grocery stores.

Second:

I prepare the meat as per the guide [i add maple sugar or syrup (just enough to lightly rub over the surface of the meat with the curing salt)]

Third:  Wrap, seal and refigerate for the appropriate amount of time.

Fourth: After curing unwrap, rinse and place back in refrigerator for a day or two—loosely covered

Fifth: Prepare your KK, I use CocoChar and 3-4 chunks of applewood. Set grill temp at 250, indirect cooking method.  Place meat on grill and cook until the internal temp is 155F/68.33C.

Sixth: Slice and enjoy

It's really very easy and the Morton Guide is great.  I make bacon, Canadian bacon and ham.

Good luck,

Ken

Great looking Canadian bacon. :) I have yet to do it on the KK but you can bet it's on my list. Wonderful stuff, add it to a sandwich with roasted sweet red pepper and some melted cheese and a little lettuce for a wonderful lunch sandwich. :)

Thanks, by the way I love your photography!

kjs - Buddy, you're aces! Thanks for the guide. That thing is wonderful. And your step-by-step is gonna make me a hero! Thanks!

Glad I could help, let me know how things turn out. Hopefully others on the forum will find this guide helpful as well.