tinyfish

FYI Wireless meat probes

This is my first kickstarter. I know it's a gamble but I do like the product. I feel this is what a wireless thermometer should be like.

If I receive absolutely nothing, I'll be bummed and this will end up being my last kickstarter.

If I receive the product and it doesn't work as good as expected or has some bugs I'm kewl with that as I like this innovation. Once somebody does it others will follow.

Good to hear that they reached their goal. Now the hard part, going from a prototype in the lab to tooling up for production. This is where many Kickstarter projects hit a wall. But I have confidence in these guys, as they have a proven track record. This is like my 6th campaign that I have funded, so I went in with eyes wide open.

I really don't like cooking by temp and time, need to know current temps.. 

This could get rid of my anxiety when cooking with a roti.. 

Meater: The First Truly Wireless Smart Meat Thermometer

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1977846026/meater-the-first-truly-wireless-smart-meat-thermom/comments

I think it's a great idea. Only problem is high temperatures tend to destroy rechargeable batteries. I'd be curious how difficult the battery is to replace (or if it can be) and the cost. I'll wait for version 2.

Thats why I went with the four probes and the block. With four probes I will have some spare probes.

I think it's a great idea. Only problem is high temperatures tend to destroy rechargeable batteries. I'd be curious how difficult the battery is to replace (or if it can be) and the cost. I'll wait for version 2.

From what I saw, they said that the battery was a solid state device, not a traditional battery, so probably some form of capacitor, if it is close to the probe end, then it should be shielded from really high heat, probably max temp no higher than 250 degrees, you can buy caps that go up to 500 degrees and higher.

Regardless, I will be interested to see how these turn out.

This is floating around on other forums.

"1) If internal temperature comes close to maximum the 212F or 100C, the RF range will start to reduce and you may lose connection. We will give warning before unsafe temperatures are reached. If it is exposed to that high temperature for prolonged time, battery life cycle will start to suffer.
Also remember your meat is completely ruined when it reaches 100C, it means there is no moisture left at all. It is actually very difficult to do that as the temperature tends to stall before meat becomes rock hard dry and temperature starts to rise again...

2) We have designed the product to handle flare ups. Actually motivation behind this product was when I burned cable on 2nd meat thermometer due flareups. We use high temperature ceramic material on antenna..

3) the probe battery is designed to last several years even in active use. However due the waterproof high temperature design, it is not replaceable.

4) radio frequencies tend to pass through BBQ / Oven metal cases quite well. These will reduce the range a bit, which is why we only claim 10 meter range which is achievable with typical phone and typical BBQ.

5) warranty details are being finished. We will offer typical retail electronics product warranty, we will stand by the product. This will be published on the project FAQ soon."

They got to their next stretch goal.

The meater cloud - allow you to keep track of the temps anywhere your smartphone can get a connection.

If this product gets to completion and works as advertised it is going to be an awesome meat thermometer. Assuming the probes last any decent amount of time.

They got to their next stretch goal.

The meater cloud - allow you to keep track of the temps anywhere your smartphone can get a connection.

If this product gets to completion and works as advertised it is going to be an awesome meat thermometer. Assuming the probes last any decent amount of time.

I agree.  This is a fantastic product concept.  Fingers crossed their product delivers.  Kickstarters are always a gamble by nature, but I know that going in.  Hopefully their R&D was thorough and robust.  Now that they have the funding the real thorny part begins as ramp up and try to go into product production.  I wish them the best.  Hopefully things go as planned and these first Meaters get sent out to the backers early next year.  I'm looking forward to being a Guinea pig.

I can see the benefit for the roti; however, for me, if I can't do something remotely about the temps I'm seeing remotely, not much use.  The cyberQ with these types of probes would be the bee's knees.  The only reason I don't have a cyberQ is because my KKs sit on our roof and the roof is 24 inches of tiled and waterproofed concrete.  I don't get a signal 12 feet directly above the router.  I've played with powerline adapters, etc, but those have also proven unreliable.  I tend to let the KK do what it does best...hold temp and cook.

I'm a gadget guy...I will eventually work a remote solution that includes that ability to increase / decrease temp.  Maybe over the Christmas break.