mguerra

Sit on your ass risotto

Over in the Lowcountry boil thread I mentioned risotto and how my hostess last night spent over an hour standing there stirring it at the stove. Well just to remind myself how easy it is I just made a batch in the pressure cooker and I'm eating it right now. From the time I put on my apron to the time I shut the lid on the pressure pot was exactly 20 minutes. In that 20 minutes I retrieved all my ingredients diced up my onion and my pancetta mixed up my liquids sautéed the onions and toasted the risotto added the liquid and shut the lid . Seven minutes later it was done. And to perfection I might add. Did I stand there cooking it for an hour or more? Nope, I had a cuppa coffee, sat down, and listened to a Mozart piano sonata.

A middle ground is to add the stock in batches as one cooks risotto stovetop, and not worry about it so much. I had romanticized the constant stirring as one dribbled in stock, till I took some cooking lessons with Giuliano Bugialli. He's a perfectionist and a traditionalist, but pragmatic enough to debunk my various illusions. One can add stock every several minutes, and still be making risotto.

The poster child here is pour-over coffee. One can pay $200 for a pouring kettle that (presumably) dribbles the faintest continuous stream, if one really needs this play time to wake up. Or my $30 kettle, the stream aims easier than a measuring cup, and I pour over the water in batches. Sometimes I get distracted, and the scale shuts off, I have to go by how full the mug is.

Perhaps a better example is Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. Spreading out the addition of stock over time has an effect on the texture of the rice, just as spreading out the addition of hops has an effect on the quality of the IPA. One can call it IPA either way, so I suppose one can call it risotto either way.

It takes me 20 minutes to clean up, with irregular attention to the risotto. Then it's ready! And I believe that it's healthy to drink all the wine I want as long as I'm standing up. (This used to be self-regulating.)

I agree with CC; those dogs are mistreated and half starved too. You can also tell they're overworked by how keyed up and   :sleepy1:  high strung they are.  :sleepy2:  People love to say "how spoiled" my dog is or someone else's pet is, but I tell them that's why I got the animal in the first place. I'm sure not going to have them pull a plow or earn their keep. I love animals and your two dogs are the perfect picture of "family pet" in my book.  

Oh yeah, food. Your risotto looks like something I would try. Never ate it before, but I'm willing!

One Black and Tan Coonhound, four Treeing Walker Coonhounds, and a Beagle... all rescues.

Dixie there in my avatar is actually a Treeing Walker mix. She was fixing to be euthanized in Dallas and I called up there and said wait one day and I will come get her. Someone chained her to a fence and then moved out. One of the best saves ever!!!

Doc, I can count 6 wonderful reasons why you're a great guy.

I have a very dear friend who raises Black and Tans and runs a Black and Tan rescue. They are wonderful dogs, each and every one. They are almost as lazy as greyhounds, but when it comes time to run, they are all business. If I hadn't rescued a couple of cats, I'd have a Black and Tan sitting here next to me.

Kudos to you for your rescue efforts!