MacKenzie

Creamy Sous Vide Potatoes with Chicken and Veggies

Here's how to make cream potatoes without the cream-

Started by boiling potatoes.

Then whip them with the immersion blender until they turn into glue. Note: any method that turns the potatoes to glue will work (food processor). Not just an immersion blender. Be careful if using an immersion blender it take a lot of power to do this.

Add 1% by weight, Diastatic malted grain powder.

Vacuum seal and SV @ 126 F for 30 mins. This enzyme will eat up that glue and you'll have the creamiest potatoes without cream.

Put the potatoes in a pot on the stove and heat to 167 F to stop the reaction. Or raise the temp of the SV bath.

P6ypQS8.jpg

OK, so I experimented with this tonight. I'm going to start off by saying it's "not my thing." I may have done something wrong, but I did not like either the texture or the flavor. Texture was like porridge, almost like a potage (potato soup). Flavor had a sweet edge to it from the malted grain. Being a brewer, I picked up on that right away. Pics are posted over in the Cooking Pics section with the rest of the dinner, but here's the process that I followed.

Tried to duplicate what MacKenzie posted. Boiled two cubed russet potatoes (290 gms) in salted water with a couple of garlic cloves until just tender. Drained, then put them into the food processor still steamy hot. Had some difficulty get them to process. So, I added some of the boiling water (since it would also contain some starch). Processed the beegebus out of them, into a paste. Added the 1% malted diastatic flour (2.9 gms). Into the zip bag. Pressed out the air. Into the SV bath at 126F for 30 minutes. Then ramped up the SV bath to 167F, let it go for 5 minutes once it reached temp. Pulled the bag out of the SV bath. 

Did 2 separate treatments once out of the bag. One was a simple butter, S&P. The other was my standard mashed potato mix - butter, sour cream, Boursin cheese, salted chives, and S&P, except I did not add any half-n-half/cream/milk. The added ingredients did a lot to mask the sweet edge, but did nothing to tighten up the texture. 

So, did I miss something along the way that gave me this result?? 

I've been without internet for a day, we had a major ice storm that lasted a good 24 hours.:( I think adding that water was a problem, my potatoes are such that I wouldn't want them any softer. I've been thinking that I'd try a batch were perhaps I'll pass the potatoes thru the ricer and then maybe did out the food processor to turn them to glue. It's just so hard on the immersion blender. I'll let you know if I do this plus I will let the cooked potatoes cool off and that should dry them out some.