MacKenzie

SV Beef Tenderloin Dinner

Can some of you guys that sous vide steaks answer me a couple of questions?

Every time I get ready to buy an inova- going all the way back to Kickstarter- I talk myself out of it. I understand the science, benefits, process, and all that, but here is the crux of why I never get one: how do you get the "fire roasted" flavor using sous vide and such a quick sear? I just can't see a torch, searzall, cast iron, or even 30 seconds on a fire giving anything at all close to the same flavor you get when you straight up grill a fat steak over fire, with some grape vine wood. To me, it's that fire flavor that makes the steak. The closest comparison I can make is to cook a steak in a cast iron pan on the KK - it tastes straight up fried. That same steak directly over the fire has a whole different flavor profile.

I understand the challenges of a grill crust vs even cooking, etc. and sous vide remedies that problem. I freeze my streaks after I age and trim them, and sometimes they go in the grill while the middle is still frozen to get enough fire time and stay at about 130 internal (I like them closer to med than med-rare).

Are you fans of sous vide in it for the texture, and exchanging fire flavor as a cost? If so, fair enough, but I just can't fathom getting the same taste? Not flaming - just want to know.

For me it's a case of wanting to eat meat that I know is fully cooked. When I used to do lots of steak with the Hibachi and I loved them. I cooked them closer to well done and as you can picture the steak was not as tender as one might like. With the SV I have tender meat, easy on the jaw, and I do like the flavour. It is a particularly good method for tough cuts to make them tender. I often do not even sear SV steaks. I use the SV to make yogurt, some fish and scallops. The fish and scallops are to die for. SV may not be a technique that you will like.

Thanks for that explanation. Whenever I read people sharing enthusiasm of SV it's all about color, and texture, not a lot of discussion about how it changes or even enhances the flavor.

So with SV you're comfortable eating steak at 132 instead of well done, because it stayed at temp long enough to eliminate any baddies in the meat? Or did your preference just evolve?

Yes, I much prefer eating steak that I know is fully cooked and with the SV method I get steak that is also tender and fortunately I am very happy with the flavor. My goal is to have whatever I'm eating properly cooked. :)

I think that really is the essence of sous vide; "properly cooked" can occur at a much lower temp based on duration. Your tenderloin looked damn good - a far cry from well done. I guess when the question becomes "fire roasted to 160" or "sous vide to 132" it's a different discussion. :P

Good job on the steak!

As a guy that loves steak tartare and carpaccio (including always doing a horse meat tartare each year I go to Mongolia) I have little qualms eating rare (or even raw) beef.

I love sous vide on massive steaks, obscenely thick tomahawks being an obvious favorite (getting s 2 bone tomahawk is excellent) and then defying all logic when you carve at the table an end to end medium rare with a perfect crust that melts like butter...

I also think sous vide is excellent for seafood as well as meal planning. I batch cook chicken breasts, veggies, pork, steak etc. so SWMBO can grab a home made "ready meal" when she needs during the week.

But I must defer to MacKenzie: 'the Queen of the Sous Vide Scene'!

Regards,

Oliver

In Singapore. Soon to be the proud owner of a Cobalt Blue 32 😄