Poochie

Bone in Ribeye Advice

I have never seen an additional benefit to the roti for this cook, having done it both ways. If you want medium rare from crust to crust I would go with a 200-225 dome temp and do a reverse sear. I would pull at about 125ish and bring the KK up to 500+ temps (pull the stone so you are now direct)  during the rest phase then sear for about 5-10 minutes and carve immediately. Alternatively you can do the sear in the oven which is logistically simpler. No additional rest is required after the reverse sear.

If you cook at 250 you will still need a sear to get a great crust. I also think you will have a rim of more done meat around the cap. Nothing wrong with this, but it is just the way it is. If you cook at more traditional temps like 325-350 you will get a nice crust without a sear required, but less even color across the roast. The Roti is a good option for cooks at this temp. 

IMHO.....hope this helps!

The roast in my cook was a 16.5 lb roast and I cooked it in the rotisserie at 225f indirect for six hours to an internal temp of 130f. I actually closed the vents down a little more three quarters of the way through the cook because I was a head of schedule. For my liking no further sear was needed. If I did need more of a sear I would remove the rotisserie basket remove the deflector and reinstall the rotisserie basket.

As MK1 says the rotisserie is not necessary because of the convection cooking in the KK but its so cool to spin cook a prime rib in my opinion.

No matter what you decide I'm sure it will be perfect.

I did mine at 325 for about 3 to 3.5 hours on the rotisserie open flame no deflector.  I love the outer char that I got from the flame, and I pulled it with an IT of 120 and let rest in a cooler for 45 min.  It was outstanding!!!

Like everything.... there are many ways to skin a cat!!

I have never seen an additional benefit to the roti for this cook, having done it both ways. If you want medium rare from crust to crust I would go with a 200-225 dome temp and do a reverse sear. I would pull at about 125ish and bring the KK up to 500+ temps (pull the stone so you are now direct)  during the rest phase then sear for about 5-10 minutes and carve immediately. Alternatively you can do the sear in the oven which is logistically simpler. No additional rest is required after the reverse sear.

If you cook at 250 you will still need a sear to get a great crust. I also think you will have a rim of more done meat around the cap. Nothing wrong with this, but it is just the way it is. If you cook at more traditional temps like 325-350 you will get a nice crust without a sear required, but less even color across the roast. The Roti is a good option for cooks at this temp. 

IMHO.....hope this helps!

Totally agree with this. Decide how you want your prime rib roast to look and/or whether you want to deal with maneuvering things around for a reverse sear, and then do the cook accordingly.

Either way, the one thing I would do is cut the bones off and tie them back on before starting the cook. (See this post for an example.) It will be much easier to carve the meat afterwards when you can just cut the string and pop the bones off rather than trying to maneuver around the bones or cut them off when the meat is hot from the cook.