Rak

Fish Tacos

I have no idea how or why, but when I cut into the fish it literally squirted juice out!  I've made these fish tacos the same way for years now, but these were the juiciest I've ever made.  To quote Wilbur, its not me, its the KK!  My best guess is because it was so heat soaked, from 7 hours of burn-in, that it perfectly seared (on the CI griddle) and roasted at the same time, locking in the juices and cooking it through evenly.  Or maybe it was a placebo effect, since grilling it for a short time wouldn't really make much difference in moisture usually.

Looking good brother. As we spoke last night my guess is that the KK was saturated in heat and crusted the fish immediately.....

However, with that said

I have cooked several things over the past month and each time I cook, everyone seems to think thinks are juicier and taste better.

My pizza crust was my best to date, my chicken breasts lights out juicy and my ribs that I did was like eating a 3-2-1 rib without needing foil. The moisture content is insane.

That fish looks incredible, Rak!

I may be biased, since both Rak and Bosco’s observations line up with my own ^_^, but I also think that the KK is bringing something to the table that standard ceramic kamado grills don’t, despite the common wisdom that the food doesn’t know what grill it’s in. That thing is the moisture issue.

KK grills are so efficient that they can retain and maintain temperature with very little airflow compared to other grills. It’s the same principle that makes food coming from a ceramic kamado moister than food cooked the same way on a Weber. Dennis has said that the increase in efficiency and moisture retention between a KK grill and a ceramic is even greater than the difference between a Weber and a ceramic kamado. Based on Rak and Bosco’s observations of their cooks, I would say that’s pretty good supporting evidence for that idea.

I would support that assumption, Wilbur, to a point. My old POSK cranked out some of the juiciest chicken that I've ever made. Granted, it was a heavier ceramic than most on the market at the time, so the delta there isn't as great as with some of the other ceramics that have thinner walls and bypass flow around the charcoal basket. But, the basic theory is still sound.

Thank you all!

Wilbur, Ryan and I were talking about this as well.  I don't know if its a placebo effect, but my cooks (that I have done hundreds of times in my ceramic grills) are coming out juicer and moister then ever before.  If I looked like a cooking star to family and friends before, I've been evaluated again thanks to the the KK!!

No, it's really the KK. It so bloody efficient, i.e., less airflow needed, that more moisture is retained inside. It's most noticeable when you open the lid and moisture drips off. Did you old grills do that? Bet not.

That's why it's really hard to screw up a chicken cook. Even overcooked chicken breasts still come out juicy and tender.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Thank you all!

Wilbur, Ryan and I were talking about this as well.  I don't know if its a placebo effect, but my cooks (that I have done hundreds of times in my ceramic grills) are coming out juicer and moister then ever before.  If I looked like a cooking star to family and friends before, I've been evaluated again thanks to the the KK!!

FWIW, I don’t think it’s a placebo effect. I do think it’s the difference between a KK grill and ceramic kamado grills.

I’ve made this point before, but one often-stated advantage of a kamado grill is that it is more efficient and traps moisture better than a Weber kettle grill. If that’s the case, then it should be the case that the more efficient that a kamado grill is at trapping moisture, the better the results. I know that the very first cooks I was doing with Smaug were better than the food from a BGE demonstration run by one of their reps. (The BGE food was very good, to be sure.) That’s why I think that the difference that you and Ryan are seeing is real. 

• Like 1