Rak

Fish Tacos

Howdy all!

As was pointed out to me by several of you, why waste all that good heat during the KK burn in!

Since I hadn't planned on cooking, I just used what I had on hand and settled on fish tacos.  I spiced up some Mahi Mahi and shrimp, then for toppings I whipped together some guacamole and made a quick slaw.  For the side, I made some rice cooked in chicken stock with onions, tomatoes, cilantro storks, cumin, turmeric and other spices.  This really was whipped together quickly, so there are no recipes.  It was a little of this and little of that :)

I have no idea how or why, but when I cut into the fish it literally squirted juice out!  I've made these fish tacos the same way for years now, but these were the juiciest I've ever made.  To quote Wilbur, its not me, its the KK!  My best guess is because it was so heat soaked, from 7 hours of burn-in, that it perfectly seared (on the CI griddle) and roasted at the same time, locking in the juices and cooking it through evenly.  Or maybe it was a placebo effect, since grilling it for a short time wouldn't really make much difference in moisture usually.

Who knows, but I do know is that I really enjoyed cooking and the meal was a big hit!

My griddle just barely fit on the grill.  Guess I'm going shopping.

post-2508-0-08224000-1453465751_thumb.jp

Look at how juicy that fish is!

post-2508-0-75012500-1453465771_thumb.jp

Dinner is served.

post-2508-0-94571900-1453465999_thumb.jp

Thanks for looking :)

Looking good brother. As we spoke last night my guess is that the KK was saturated in heat and crusted the fish immediately.....

However, with that said

I have cooked several things over the past month and each time I cook, everyone seems to think thinks are juicier and taste better.

My pizza crust was my best to date, my chicken breasts lights out juicy and my ribs that I did was like eating a 3-2-1 rib without needing foil. The moisture content is insane.

My uneducated guess has to be that it is due to air flow. So little air in can make incredible heat. I think that with the less air going through the KK, the more moisture remains within.

Those tacos are the bomb buddy.... Can't wait to get that sucker in its new spot!!!

Thanks folks!

I want to go and look at the Lodge skillet and see if it fits...this was just about 1-2 cm's too big, so close and yet...

Maybe we can grind off that silly little millimeter or two......be a shame to give up that nice CI real estate on the new KK 

My griddle just barely fit on the grill.  Guess I'm going shopping.

A round Baking Steel fits nicely. 16" is biggest, 15" will also fit inside a standard oven. I custom ordered a 1/2" 15" which I'm very happy with. Stovetop, these are crepe pans of the gods, also tortillas, chapati and dosas, any flat bread. They'll also custom order 3/8" thick, though 1/4" thick is fine, just less thermal mass for some applications like scaring the bejeesuz out of a sous vide steak.

Ideal for burgers.

Baking Steel

Thanks folks!

I want to go and look at the Lodge skillet and see if it fits...this was just about 1-2 cm's too big, so close and yet...

I have a couple of Lodge griddles. The small square one fits perfectly in Prometheus (16.5")

The larger one is 16 3/4" x 9 5/8". The only thing keeping it from fitting on my 19" main grate is the grate handles. Looking and measuring carefully the Lodge griddles have two opposing corner tabs. If I cut one of those corner tabs off it should fit on Cassiopeia's (19") main grate. Will make the mod tomorrow and post a picture. I have a steak cook for tomorrow or Sunday night that would work great on the large Lodge griddle if I can make it work.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Edited by ckreef

A round Baking Steel fits nicely. 16" is biggest, 15" will also fit inside a standard oven. I custom ordered a 1/2" 15" which I'm very happy with. Stovetop, these are crepe pans of the gods, also tortillas, chapati and dosas, any flat bread. They'll also custom order 3/8" thick, though 1/4" thick is fine, just less thermal mass for some applications like scaring the bejeesuz out of a sous vide steak.

Ideal for burgers.

Baking Steel

Thanks Syzgies. I'll take a look.

I have a couple of Lodge griddles. The small square one fits perfectly in Prometheus (16.5")

The larger one is 16 3/4" x 9 5/8". The only thing keeping it from fitting on my 19" main grate is the grate handles. Looking and measuring carefully the Lodge griddles have two opposing corner tabs. If I cut one of those corner tabs off it should fit on Cassiopeia's (19") main grate. Will make the mod tomorrow and post a picture. I have a steak cook for tomorrow or Sunday night that would work great on the large Lodge griddle if I can make it work.

Charles, I wish I was even a 1/4 as handy as you!!

Dremel w/ cutoff wheel and less than 20 minutes. There's not much those cutoff wheels can't go through (haven't found anything yet).

Here it is sitting on Cassiopeia's main grate. You can see the tab in the bottom right corner that I had to cutoff of the top left corner. It's a close fit left to right but works. This makes me very, very happy. I now have the smaller square one for Prometheus and the bigger rectangular one for Cassiopeia.

I do want to get some baking steel but will probably just wait on Dennis to complete those fancy KK ones. Nice thing about these griddles is they have a small lip around them so if you're searing something with a bit of grease it doesn't run down into the KK.

Since this is fitting in a 19" I'm fairly confident it would fit in a 23" without modification.

a0f02ea69399dbda376b28cf6c773274.jpg