Jon B.

30 lbs. of Pork Butt on the 19" TT

I have been wanting to cook up a bunch of Boston Butt just for the freezer and gifts.  Sam's Club had the butts on sale for $1.19 per lb....so no time like the present!

Loaded up four butts onto the cooking racks............29.78 lbs to be exact. 

http://pork4.jpeg

Took a full steam pan and "mangled" it to fit on top of the charcoal basket.....it wasn't pretty but it did catch all of the drippings.  Loaded up the KK with coffee lump and apple & hickory smoking wood.

http://pork3.jpeg

Cooked the butts at 275* F.  The bottom butts on the main rack were cooking faster than the ones on the upper rack.  Didn't want to disturb the cook moving them around...............So I pulled the meat when the bottom butts were at 205* and the upper ones were at 195*.  The 195* meat did not pull as nicely as the 205* meat and had a slightly different texture (bigger pieces).........so I just mixed the two meats together (so it would at least look like I knew what I was doing ).  

http://pork2.jpeg

One thing I would do different is to put the two bigger butts on the bottom rack, hopefully to equalize the finished internal temps a little better ....I alternated them up and down for better spacing.

When my daughters found out I cooked the pork on Saturday................there was this special invite to come to lunch on Sunday............only if I brought the pork with me.  All three showed up for a great family get-together.  Too much fun!!!!! 

PS - That was one heavy "rack" of meat & grates carrying it down the stairs and out side to the grill....my workout for the day along with the mandatory 12 oz curls while the meat smoked. 

Never carried racks loaded with food. Always brought the food to the grill.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Me either.............the first time this way..............just didn't want mess with 4 slimy, mustard coated butts while the heat & smoke was bellowing in my face.  I usually end up with more mustard on myself than on the meat!!!!!

Actually it worked quite well. Would do it again for a big cook like that.

Nice, Jon.

That picture is definitely one for Dennis to post on the Facebook page to show how much food you can actually put on the 19" TT. 

The grill shaped, double bottom drip pan for the 19" KK would have been perfect for this cook........Soon........I hope!!!!! (Dennis????) :toothy7:

I should have taken a picture of the full steam pan I "engineered" to fit in the bottom of the 19".....it was butt ugly!!!! :rolleyes:     

The grill shaped, double bottom drip pan for the 19" KK would have been perfect for this cook........Soon........I hope!!!!! (Dennis????) :toothy7:

I should have taken a picture of the full steam pan I "engineered" to fit in the bottom of the 19".....it was butt ugly!!!! :rolleyes:

I'm waiting too. Couldn't come soon enough for me.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT