bosco

bosco's first loaf

I have developed a baking bug....  I picked up a ton of books this weekend to learn.  I did my first cook in the oven but plan on using the KK for future cooks.

I have decided to start the Josey Baker Bread Book and will do each recipe in the book.  Each loaf builds on the previous loaf that you did until you are comfortable with everything.  

Anyways, this is a simple bake so the books says.  I am learning slowly so I hope to get better as I go...

Mixed my batch according to the book, I mixed it by hand but fell a bit short on water.  With the advice of Rak, I added a few tablespoons and then covered and placed on the counter for 3 hours.  Then into the fridge it went overnight.  Today I took it out and rolled it and placed in a loaf pan that I picked up yesterday.  The book recommended Chicago Metallics and luckily enough they were on sale and I had a 20% off coupon at bed bath and beyond.  

Here is a picture of the dough this morning.  It was a bit sticky and almost stringy coming off the bowl, however, many articles that I have read since that scary moment suggest that is a good sign as it is a sign of the gluten doing its thing.

_DSC1732.jpg

after I folded the bread and placed it into the loaf pan

_DSC1735.jpg

covered in foil and let sit on the counter for 4 hours 

_DSC1736.jpg

Into the oven it went at 475 degrees.  I baked 20 min with foil tent then 20 min without foil.  The book says pull when it is the darkness that you prefer.

Here is the end result.  I think it turned out really well.  Super crunchy crust with a soft tender middle.  Very impressed with my first loaf, but recognize that I probably have a ton of room for improvement.  But it is a start and I am excited to see where this goes.

_DSC1741.jpg

_DSC1749.jpg

_DSC1750.jpg

Edited by bosco