MacKenzie

Whisky Smoked Chicken

This recipe was for a whole chicken but since I didn't have a fresh one I used boneless skinless chicken thighs. 

Taken from Ruhlman’s and Polcyn – Charcuterie

Brined the chicken in:

4 l water

350 g kosher salt

125g sugar

42g pink salt

18 hours in the brine and then 2 two hour soak outs.

Cured Chicken.jpg

Set KK for 225F and add the chicken. Smoke for about 1.5 hours.

Cured Chicken Thighs.jpg

Next brush with the glaze.

Glaze:

250 ml of good whiskey

125ml of maple syrup

50g of dark brown sugar

Pinch of cayenne.

Simmer until it is reduced to almost half a cup. It should be thick and syrupy.

Glaze Added 1 .jpg

Glaze Added 2.jpg

When IT is 160F brush with glaze again and remove from the grill.

Glazed Chicken.jpg

Plated.

Chicken Plated.jpg

Interior of chicken-

Chicken Interior.jpg

Interior of Smoked Chicken.jpg

• Like 1

It cured the meat, much like when pork is cured to give you ham. It is also why the meat is red. Same as curing pork belly to give bacon or pork loin to produce Canadian Bacon. It preserves the meat. The pink salt is also known as Prague #1. Not the same as Himalayan salt at all and one cannot be substituted for the other.

Edited by MacKenzie

We've been conditioned to accept pink ham. We've been conditioned to NOT accept pink chicken or pork. ;)

I'd probably have to show documented thermometer readings to prove it was safe. ;)

At least thermometer readings would work for this, I had a few upturned noses when I first SV cooked chicken and pork. ;)

1 hour ago, cschaaf said:

We've been conditioned to accept pink ham. We've been conditioned to NOT accept pink chicken or pork. ;)

I'd probably have to show documented thermometer readings to prove it was safe. ;)

At least thermometer readings would work for this, I had a few upturned noses when I first SV cooked chicken and pork. ;)

I certainly can understand, I wouldn't normally want pink chicken either except I know the procedure for this chicken and the temp. readings. The first bite reminded me of ham. :) Trust me I am not one to take chances with my food, I do want to know that it is cooked properly.

I can just imagine the first SV meal you presented to your family. Probably the entire meal was spent explaining why it is safe to eat. I can still remember the evening I invited a friend for dinner. We had SV beef tenderloin and you just know how red that was and my friend is one who cooks things to death, steak well done person. She is now a convert. Before that I had gave her 2 SV chicken breasts and explained that they should just be put in a pot with water around 140F and allowed to warm, do not boil. Guess what she and her husband decided to boil them. Tough as nail when they were done messing with those  chicken breasts.

• Like 2

Tragic that folks get so locked up in their mythology about food. But, I have to admit that it took me a long time to get over worrying about MSG. I remember passing up on some good BBQ rubs because I saw MSG in the ingredient list. Silly! 

Excellent, MacKenzie. I've never thought about adding sodium nitrate (Prague #1, aka Pink Salt) to the brine for chicken (or turkey)? Your last picture reminds me of cured pork chops (one of my favorites as a kid!) And, the cross-hatch pattern from your grate makes them look like baby hams!

Tragic that folks get so locked up in their mythology about food. But, I have to admit that it took me a long time to get over worrying about MSG. I remember passing up on some good BBQ rubs because I saw MSG in the ingredient list. Silly! 

Excellent, MacKenzie. I've never thought about adding sodium nitrate (Prague #1, aka Pink Salt) to the brine for chicken (or turkey)? Your last picture reminds me of cured pork chops (one of my favorites as a kid!) And, the cross-hatch pattern from your grate makes them look like baby hams!

Thanks, Tony. After tasting the chicken yesterday I thought if I had a couple of pork chops I'd try the same recipe with chops. You have now pushed me to do that, thanks. :)