bosco

Shredded Beef Ragu

Two ingredients that have been on my mind and I had to give it a go.  I have been craving beef ribs and trying them in a chianti sauce.  Then the pasta challenge came up and I began thinking what to do.  I planned on trying this dish with side ribs, but the butcher convinced me to use brisket point.  The brisket was 3 lbs after being trimmed.  

_DSC1802.jpg

I hit it with kosher salt and cracked pepper after wiping the meat down.  This was a really nice looking piece of meat

_DSC1804.jpg

I then cut the meat into 4 pieces and prepared a 7qt dutch oven to sear them.  I seared them on the stove, as the Komodo Kamado was heated to 350 for this cook

_DSC1805.jpg

I diced up some onion, garlic, celery and carrot for the base for this dish

_DSC1808.jpg

Once my dutch oven was nice and hot, I tossed in the brisket pieces and seared them for about 5 min. Next I removed them from the dutch oven for stage two of this cook.

_DSC1810.jpg

_DSC1811.jpg

Then I added some more oil, onion and garlic, then the celery and carrot and mixed it all up

_DSC1812.jpg

I added some beef stock, Chianti, can tomato, tomato paste and mixed it all up and placed the brisket back into the dutch oven.  Brought it out to the grill and cooked for 2 hours with lid on and two with lid off for some nice white Oak wood flavour.  

_DSC1813.jpg

Traditional beef ragu calls for pappardelle 

_DSC1821.jpg

After being on the BBQ for almost 6 hours, I brought the dutch oven in and shredded the beef.  

I cooked the pasta and then mixed it all together in one large pot and added some Italian parsley

_DSC1822.jpg

Prepared some fresh baked garlic bread to go with the dish

_DSC1825.jpg

_DSC1827.jpg

_DSC1829.jpg

plated the food up and gobbled it down.  This was one of the richest beef profiles that I have ever had.  The hint of oak wood smoke on the dish brought this to the next level.  I am very pleased with the way this meal turned out

• Like 1

Ah bosco. Truly a delicious cook. I had a little bit of lamb fat left over from a weekend chilli lamb dish, so I browned the beef in it. Only smoking wood available was mesquite, but it seemed to go well with the other ingredients , giving a magnificent lightly smokey flavour. I'm not a pasta eater so I cooked potatoes and Kumara in the gravy over the last two hours of the cooking. It's on my keeper list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk