ckreef

212° What Say You?

f8a1f8ab5620f8be1bfbc289c149fcc5.jpg

Uhhhh - NO !!!!

Gone all the way around the dial and then back up to 212 on the thermometer. Top vent set at 3 turns and bottom vent assembly removed. I should probably recalibrate my thermometer after this ride.

Looking in the bottom vent assembly.

951366197a0cc17dde02312bbd24edc8.jpg

Three small filet mignon's. 2 1/2 minutes total time.

45 seconds - rotate

45 seconds - flip

Take picture

30 seconds - rotate

30 seconds - pull

Not the best picture for showing the rageing coals because I used the flash.

c3c5c54786481f8db68c40a9afda6564.jpg

With a parmesan cheese crust and in the broiler for about 40 seconds.

12b6d073b9fd519ed2834515765f0b05.jpg

On the rare side of md rare but how else would you eat a filet mignon?

b75c214da6bb536464d7131205e55893.jpg

One of the best steaks I've cooked in a while. Also the hottest I've ever taken this KK. Looking forward to doing it again.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

• Like 1

Please do not do this.. This is over 1500º on the lower grill, probably 1800º + in the charcoal basket and for simple safety and longevity of your KK it's just not advised.

Forum link:   Careful.. Dome 900º ~ Lower grill 1452º!!

While you might not have kept it there that long these kiln like cooks can cause the strap cast into the body to expand causing damage to your KK and also can cause the 304 stainless rods to droop in your charcoal basket. You also can't escape physics and there will be unnecessary crazing/ expansion cracks formed. While the KK is designed to handle the expansion.. It's Pros VS Cons.. weigh up on the con side..  

Remember unlike all other grills all of the air leaving the chimney on the Komodo Kamado is forced to the  charcoal.  there is no gap between the firebox and body and no holes drilled through the firebox which lets  air bypass the charcoal.

• Like 1

Please do not do this.. This is over 1500º on the lower grill, probably 1800º + in the charcoal basket and for simple safety and longevity of your KK it's just not advised.

Forum link:   Careful.. Dome 900º ~ Lower grill 1452º!!

While you might not have kept it there that long these kiln like cooks can cause the strap cast into the body to expand causing damage to your KK and also can cause the 304 stainless rods to droop in your charcoal basket. You also can't escape physics and there will be unnecessary crazing/ expansion cracks formed. While the KK is designed to handle the expansion.. It's Pros VS Cons.. weigh up on the con side..  

Remember unlike all other grills all of the air leaving the chimney on the Komodo Kamado is forced to the  charcoal.  there is no gap between the firebox and body and no holes drilled through the firebox which lets  air bypass the charcoal.

I wasn't really intending to do that. I was going for the 600*-700* range. It was heat soaked at 350*. I opened it up and went inside to prep the steaks. Literally I came out 5-7 minutes later and that is what I had. I made the best of it. I knew the 16.5" KK was really quick at climbing the thermometer just didn't think that quick.

Charles - that is one very tasty looking cook!  Leaves me drooling like the fool I am.  Congrats on the steaks and not melting the KK!

TY CC - I didn't intend to do it but once it was done I wasn't worried about the KK. To be honest I like the built in firebox of the 16.5". The 16.5" is a seriously fast grilling machine, much faster than my 19" and for 3 people plenty of room.

• Like 1

Certain friends want to try grilling at 800 F, once they know it's possible. This is a lack of the self control it takes for a good cook to become great. Or perhaps just a healthy experimental nature? In any case, I won't humor them twice. It looks great, but it doesn't taste as good. Also, I don't know for a fact that the byproducts at these temperatures are more harmful than those at lower temperatures, but this is relatively unexplored territory, medically. I think of the Romans getting lead poisoning from their wine vessels. Or, "What's that new mushroom growing in my yard!" If one simply doesn't know, caution is a reasonable response.

• Like 1