greggd

Hello from Greggd

I am a part time BBQ enthusiast. Recently, I became a reluctant participant in World War K. As my blood pressure returns to normal, I am looking for a spot to occasionally get a recipe, advice, and extruded charcoal. I am impressed by this product and the openness of the forum.

Dennis, thanks for providing a place for positive discourse.

Lastly, I am seeking a personal, blanket and reciprocal amnesty with all Ceramic Q'ers of any stripe. The battle may go on, I just do not want to play.

Gregg

Welcome, Gregg!

Many of us have come across this forum in much the same way you have. Despite being burned previously, we do have something to be excited about here.

There are good recipes that get posted, feel free to share some of your favorites! Should you run across some of our local inhabitants, dont be too alarmed. Gerard may be grouchy, but he is harmless. D_J is a whole 'nother story though. Run from him.

Re: Hello from Greggd

Recently' date=' I became a reluctant participant in World War K. ... I am impressed by this product and the openness of the forum. Lastly, I am seeking a [u']personal, blanket and reciprocal amnesty with all Ceramic Q'ers of any stripe. The battle may go on, I just do not want to play.

Gregg

HOWDY GREGG! sorry if i contributed to raising your blood pressure! i don't believe you have any reason to seek amnesty, tho. far as i can see, the only thing you ever asked for was help. you were no participant; you were the battlefield :shock: i was really hoping you'd get your charcoal! while some of the resources on this forum are a little less compendius that some other longer-standing boards, the best of them are the people here.

except for D_J...

and Curly...

maybe you should avoid Gerard too...

fine, probably me too! like porkchops, i might have a bad reputation, but i'm really good with apple sauce!

Re: Hello from Greggd

Howdy Gregg. Glad to have you on board.

...I am looking for a spot to occasionally get a recipe' date=' advice, and extruded charcoal....[/quote']

I'm afraid we're kinda lacking on the first, full of the second, and of no use on the third.

Perhaps you can persuade Dennis to start importing the charcoal. I know TC has been campaigning for it as well. I've never used the stuff but folks rave about it... of course folks also raved about beer butt chicken :cry:. But there's so much demand, it seems like it would be a great opportunity for Dennis to get the kk brand better known, and not just with disenchanted K'ers.

Welcome Gregg....help with recipes and technique is given generously here. Humor is offered as a bonus...but it does help ease the blood pressure issues you refer to. Tell us about what cooker you are using, color, size (yes I asked the size question guys) :lol::roll: . I am also hopeful someone will be adding the lump item for US distribution.

Thank you all for a warm welcome.

In response to your comments:

1) Cobalt Blue K7 with no problems.

2) Dennis, six people in Chicago can take a minimum of 90 cases - almost 5% of a container.

3) Porkchop all is forgiven. I too can get pretty animated about a given situation. Your perspective that I was the battlefield is apt. All I wanted to do was be a NORMAL consumer.

Now a test of your sincerity...

I make stellar beef jerky ON A NESCO AMERICAN HARVEST DEHYDRATOR!

(Now, If I get responses questioning my manhood, threats to my family, doubts about my patriotism or thrown off the forum -- I am not in the right place. Conversely, if someone suggests that I am missing a trick or they have a better way that is okay, and I may have found a home)

Regards

Gregg

is it real jerky, or chopped and formed with one of those tube thingies? as long as you aren't "pumping it out", you are good with me. real jerky isn't cooked; it's dried. hard to get those low temps on the kk without getting a dual setup going.

what cure do you use?

i have made some great jerky on my old mexi-k with pork loin. liked it alot more than top round, as it is easier to trim with less internal fat. can trim the outside of the loin and get perfect little circles all the way down. comes out a great dark red or mahogany and is YUMMY!

Re: Yeah, Gerard...

I'm afraid we're kinda lacking on the first

...you've had several years now to hone your craft. Step up and post some recipes, eh?

:P

I recently stumbled over the only recipe I ever felt qualified to post: http://web.archive.org/web/20030122010154/www.kamado.com/forum/archives/Jan00/jan00.cgi?read=6054

I say it's all I've ever posted cause I tend to use commercial rubs and sauces and stick to the basics. All my experimentation was with cooking techniques... direct/indirect, hd/dp setups, etc. Anyone that is reading this forum is a better cook than I am.

...Now a test of your sincerity

I make stellar beef jerky ON A NESCO AMERICAN HARVEST DEHYDRATOR!...

OK, you're in. I do beef jerky on a 9 tray excalibur dehydrator. That's actually how I stumbled upon ceramic cooking. I was searching the web for smokers so I could maybe graduate up there to actually smoke my beef jerky and I ended up on the Kamado site. So I bought a cobalt blue #7 also. I have yet to do beef jerky on it though because I can get close to 20 lbs of beef on the excalibur which lasts quit a while. I eat it with my grits every morning for breakfast. One day when I get around to it I may try it on the ceramic cooker.

I have a little cheap meat slicer and I buy the whole Eye of Round, Round Eye...whatever they call it. Usually can get it for 2.99lb untrimmed.

Welcome!

Hey Greg, welcome to the forum! I love beef jerky; please post a recipe. If you post one, that will be one more than Gerard ever posted! :shock:

On the charcoal thing. I mentioned to Dennis the other day I thought more people might be interested in coconut natural lump rather than extruded (I know I would). We should get a consensus on what the majority want so when he does get time to start that up, we already agree?

-=Jasen=-