greggd

Hello from Greggd

Re: Welcome!

...On the charcoal thing. I mentioned to Dennis the other day I thought more people might be interested in coconut natural lump rather than extruded (I know I would). We should get a consensus on what the majority want so when he does get time to start that up, we already agree?

-=Jasen=-

Nah, he should start with the extruded. I've never used either but apparently there's quite a market for the extruded, and the other company, for whatever reason, cannot supply it. It would be a great way for other ceramic cooker enthusiasts, e.g. BGE fans etc, to learn of the kk company's existence.

Dennis has been known to exploit a competitor's incompetence before; to the benefit of both the consumer and himself.

I hear there's talk of Dennis making tiled wood stoves some day. :P

Re: Welcome!

I hear there's talk of Dennis making tiled wood stoves some day. :P

Ouch! God I hope not. Unless Austin Powers joins this forum!

Well, it is funny how many people get the CEL due to the fact that is all they can get. Most people who have charcoal discussions indicate they like the CEL for low and slow, but that is about it. Well, if nothing else, maybe there is a market for both? We will just have to see what Dennis has up his sleeves - hehe!

-=Jasen=-

If memory serves, TNW reports that extruded lump tends to arrive intact whereas all other lumps are only as good as the handlers in the supply chain. That alone may be a reason to start off with CEL.

Maybe I'm playing up the CEL demand among K'ers too much. It's funny how the label affects the user's perception: many years ago, there were eggers that swore by BGE lump and wouldn't cook with any other lump. They looked very silly when it became public knowledge it was Royal Oak. Likewise, I imagine the K fanboys would love virtually any Johnson labeled lump whereas I would automatically hate it.

Presuming, of course, it wasn't made from real Johnsons. Then we might have a bidding war.

I guess you folks will accept people who occasionally stray from ceramics...

I have fooled around with recipes, but for expediency (and great taste) I use Hi Mountain Brand - mostly hickory blend. Never tried using the K7 for reasons of volume. I have built up a local reputation and many people get baggies when I am in production. The Nesco is my third upgrade, (one might say it is the KK of dryers.) I currently have 17 trays but it will take up to 30. I can do 25 pre-dry pounds very efficiently.

Curly, I tried a slicer and it did not work well for me. I have gone back to the Hi Mountain Jerky Board and a 12" Wusthof slicing knife with cullens. It makes short work of the slicing and I get excellent uniformity on the 3/8" thickness. I generally use top round.

Porkchop, I asserted my amateur standing earlier, but I draw the line at the ground up and squeeze version. It just seems wrong headed.

The key is to not let the jerky get too dry. It is always fun to give a sample to a newbie that has only store-bought-plastic-wrapped as a reference point. One guy told me that my jerky was the beef equivalent of Crack.

When I hit the lottery, I am planning on a small batch business using Allen Brothers Kobe-Wagyu beef smoked on an OTB.

I'll PM you later and get more info on your jerky expertise...sounds interesting. I just marinate mine in liquid overnight...sometimes I remove the air in foodsaver containers, which really gets that flaver into the meat. Then I dry it and package it in foodsaver bags. Never any cure or anything like that.

Jasen: CEL worked for me for all of the standard advertised reasons. But I particularly liked how easy it was to store in the garage and near my K7. I guess I am a box versus bag kind of guy and mildly obsessive compulsive.

I never tried coconut lump although I made a valiant effort to get some recently. I would be willing to buy either or both if there were a reliable vendor.

Fetzervalve: I did read Karl Marx in college 30 years ago, but I thought Adam Smith had a better program.

Regards

Gregg

Hey Greg, do you use the Hi Mountain cures too (opps - reread your post and see you do - isn't that stuff great!!)? That is what I am currently using. I just cannot find anything I like better than their plain peppered cure and I add a heaping teaspoon of red pepper to it. I cheat on the drying though, I had a dehydrator and sold it; it might be blasphemy, but I prefer using the oven at 180 with a spoon in the door. I have a Cabela's 1/4 hp meat slicer ( http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 20099&rid= ) and 5 of their oven racks ( http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true ). I usually only work with about 10 pounds (I buy whole center rounds from Sam's). I did experiment one time on my old K (the Cabela's oven racks fit perfect in it) and the wife and I hated it. I love jerky, but the wife will hold my toys ransom when I do not make it for a while; she is rather fanatical over it.

I am gonna agree with you on the slicer, I wish I had never bought it. While it slices perfectly, it takes another 20 minutes to clean it all up after finishing. I think manual is better; especially if you soft freeze it first.

One day when I can get a better grinder/stuffer, I want to learn how to do the beef sticks too. But for now, the best purchased ones I have ever had are Tillamook ( http://www.tcsjerky.com/ ). I know here in the south, you used to could walk into most convenience stores and find them in a small Plexiglas display case. But now I have to order them online.

On the charcoal thing, would any of you prefer lump over extruded if someone figured out a way to package it and it not break up?

-=Jasen=-

Packaged Lump

On the charcoal thing, would any of you prefer lump over extruded if someone figured out a way to package it and it not break up?

Ummmm....I go to Wally World, find the aisle where they stock the cowboy lump, place one or more packages in my cart, then pay and go home.

Do you not have packages in GA. Of course I live in a progressive southern state. At least I'm in the south. Anything below Ocala is New Jersey. Yes I love the Florida Panhandle or Baja Alabama.

twharton

Re: Packaged Lump

On the charcoal thing' date=' would any of you prefer lump over extruded if someone figured out a way to package it and it not break up?[/quote']

Ummmm....I go to Wally World, find the aisle where they stock the cowboy lump, place one or more packages in my cart, then pay and go home.

Do you not have packages in GA. Of course I live in a progressive southern state. At least I'm in the south. Anything below Ocala is New Jersey. Yes I love the Florida Panhandle or Baja Alabama.

twharton

Maybe you missed the posts before this one were we discussed this was coconut natural lump and/or CEL being imported? Yes we have Cowboy here (which I do not like) at Lowes and Royal Oak (which I use) at Walmart. But getting in something maybe a little better, different and cheaper (don't know as I have not tried it yet) worth a shot?

-=Jasen=-

...I currently have 17 trays but it will take up to 30. I can do 25 pre-dry pounds very efficiently...

Unfortunatley, mine will only take the nine trays, but I can still push about 20lbs (undried) through per session. And the foodsavered bags of jerky are a hit at work as well.

Curly, I tried a slicer and it did not work well for me. I have gone back to the Hi Mountain Jerky Board and ...

Yeah, the slicer is not all that uniform for sure, and I end up slicing my own by hand sometimes which works as well. I've never heard of the Hi Mountain board though, I'll have to look into that.

Porkchop, I asserted my amateur standing earlier, but I draw the line at the ground up and squeeze version. It just seems wrong headed...

Yeah, me too. I can't imagine that really being called jerky :shock:

The key is to not let the jerky get too dry. It is always fun to give a sample to a newbie that has only store-bought-plastic-wrapped as a reference point ...

That's where the foodsaver comes in real handy. You don't have to get it as dry, but it keeps forever foodsavered in the freezer.

When I hit the lottery, I am planning on a small batch business using Allen Brothers Kobe-Wagyu beef smoked on an OTB.

Sounds like a lot of work....me, I'll just keep making my personal batch :shock:

...On the charcoal thing, would any of you prefer lump over extruded if someone figured out a way to package it and it not break up?

-=Jasen=-

Whatcha got in mind? Bubble wrap each piece? That's some damn fragile looking charcoal, even by lump charcoal standards.

Now that you've revolutionized website design, ceramic cookers, and the brewery and winery industries, ready to move on to another project? Percoset hitting kinda hard this AM, isn't it?

Actually, I shouldn't make too much fun of you and your infirmary. If there's a way, you'll come up with it.

... Anything below Ocala is New Jersey...

Yeah, we have an infestation problem down here with NY/NJ'ers nowadays. I was thinking another storm or two and they would tuck and run.

I was just in Pensacola for a couple weeks last month and stayed on the beach. Its been a couple of years now and the damage was still sobering.