Izzy

Through serendipity, I stumbled into the KK 32

I was referring to the charcoal cover/divider.  Here are the deflector plates and charcoal cover.  I am about to cook 3 rib slabs.  I plan to remove all the grates except for the main one.  I'll wrap one rectangular deflector plate and put it on top of the charcoal.  I suspect the other plates might be the pizza stone.

As for the so-called c"otter pin", where does it go?  If it did not come with the grill, is it something I can get from the hardware store?

IMG_4854.jpg

IMG_4856.jpg

Can you someone post a picture of the back of their KK 32 so I can see exactly what I'm missing?

Just a quick update on the fire, I've added 8 cubes of fire starters and I have the lid wide open, but so far I've seen negligible progress with the charcoal.  It looks like it's going to take hours for the charcoal to be ready.  On my oval, it usually takes 30 minutes for the fire to get going.  I guess since this is a different type of charcoal and also a much bigger grill, it's going to take a lot longer.

• Like 1

ef47a6a31d54a328555fab8266f35f68.jpg

Do you see the hinge pin almost center picture? It's directly between the cap nuts holding the hinge to the lid/base. There's a tiny hole in the end of the hinge pin, that where the kotter pin goes.

What type of cook are you doing? Are you using cocochar? Coco is harder to light than regular lump, but when lit it comes on up. If you're doing a lo/slo, I hope you haven't lit too much. Close the lid, vents open, you're not getting the draft effect. You'll also be surprised at how little lit coal it takes to heat this thing up, please realize these grills are way more insulated than you're used to.

Rob

OK.  I see the hole.  I am a little surprised that the cotter pin is missing if indeed it is required.  Perhaps, Dennis can chime in.

I am doing ribs and I have emptied an entire box of cocochar into KK 32 fire basket.  This is the first cook by the way.  The ribs will take 5-6 hours to be done.  After the ribs, I was planning on doing chicken legs and wings, but I had no idea lighting the charcoal was going to take so long.

Here we go!  I needed a little bit more rub, but I did not feel like making more.  This was left over from last week when I had made enough rub to smoke 12 slabs, but I ended up smoking only 9 for the event.  Unfortunately, my son, whom, at  one point, I asked to sprinkle the rub on the ribs, was a bit too liberal with it.  Anyway, I'm not missing much.  I'm quite certain that the KK 32 will more than compensate for the tiny bit of rub that is lacking.

IMG_4857.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Can you someone post a picture of the back of their KK 32 so I can see exactly what I'm missing?

Just a quick update on the fire, I've added 8 cubes of fire starters and I have the lid wide open, but so far I've seen negligible progress with the charcoal.  It looks like it's going to take hours for the charcoal to be ready.  On my oval, it usually takes 30 minutes for the fire to get going.  I guess since this is a different type of charcoal and also a much bigger grill, it's going to take a lot longer.

@Izzy - I"ll see what I can do about getting a pic of TheBeast posted here so that you can see where the cotter pin goes.  

I've never had the Coconut Char take as long as you indicate.  Open the air control manifold wide open.  Both Dials.  

I just ran out and snapped a pic of the hinge mechanism on TheBeast.  Here are the pics.  You can clearly see the cotter pins.

IMG_1419.jpgIMG_1418.jpg

A few things about the 32 and temp.  I tired some new lump a few weeks ago.  It was Argentina lump and the wood took forever to lump.  

I have yet to use the cochar lump but have heard great things.  I have heard to break it up and it will ligt quicker in smaller pieces. 

With RO lump which I love, for low and slow I turn the top damper a 1/4 turn open and the lower vent I turn the left dial just a crack and the right dial I open with the smallest hole.  I will hit 250 in about 45 min.  Don't ever overshoot temps with a KK as they can take sometime to cool down.  

The reason for me opening both bottom dials is that I always found that my lump wouldn't burn on the right side of the grill   The right vent open allows for even burning from left to right.

For 350-400 I simply open 3.5 turns up top and the left dial opened 3/4. 

The ribs were awesome!  I feel bad that I had to turn off the KK 32 because I could have cooked more things on this beautiful fire, but unfortunately, it was too late and I had retire for the night.  I can't see myself cooking on anything else from now on.

• Like 1

You just summed up my exact opinion after my first cook.  I had three kjs and loved them.  

Everyone said that I would never use them again once I got the KKs.  After my first cook I noticed things that I liked.  

I found the food moister, temps easier to control, less air flow etc etc.  Suddenly I was thinking what am I going to do with all of these other BBQs now.  

Someone jokingly asked you a few weeks ago when you were going to order the 23.  You responded much like I did saying that the other cooker was still great and you would keep it. 

Now, you got the KK, your wife wants you to turn the primo into a flower box and she loves the KK.  You now love the cooking on the KK and now you too have come to that conclusion.

Looks like it's time to sell the primo to a friend and make that call to Dennis again lol!

• Like 1