Shuley

Thank you dinner.

My parents watched my boys for two nights while my husband whisked away for an anniversary trip...one in which we ate VERY well...as in THE FRENCH LAUNDRY and BOUCHON. TFL was absolutely amazing and was totally worth every penny. They had previously asked me about about grilling salmon with wood so I made them a thank you dinner last night.3a911af8692cfdd6cac77b860914ca15.jpg1f561ceacd6b57153fd7466c16684af2.jpg

With salad and Israeli couscous on the side!

The French laundry is an amazing culinary experience. One of my top five. Bouchon is also excellent. I've never had anything from Thomas Keller that I did not enjoy. While in Yountville, we also ate at the goose in the gander which was excellent. Sounds like an amazing surprise trip. And then you get to come back and make incredible food on the KK. Great cook!

The French laundry is an amazing culinary experience. One of my top five. Bouchon is also excellent. I've never had anything from Thomas Keller that I did not enjoy. While in Yountville, we also ate at the goose in the gander which was excellent. Sounds like an amazing surprise trip. And then you get to come back and make incredible food on the KK. Great cook!

What are your other top 4?

Sushi samba in Vegas, The one in Miami is just as good, but my best meal was in Vegas. We have eaten at five or six different Jose Andres restaurants, some more than once, but my most memorable meal was at Bazaar in Miami, The Aviary in Chicago is a cocktail restaurant by Grant Achatz. Technically, not a meal, unless nine cocktails with bite-size food pairings counts, but we sat at the chef's table and it was amazing. If I ever get the chance to eat at Alinea, I will not miss the opportunity. I am biased towards Mexican food, and my all-time favorite was at Topolobampo in Chicago. Ate there once and it was fantastic. The second time, Rick Bayless was there. Taking a chance of being forward, my wife and I introduced ourselves. He then brought us a chefs tasting menu in which he came out and introduced every course with wine pairings. Magical.

Sushi samba in Vegas, The one in Miami is just as good, but my best meal was in Vegas. We have eaten at five or six different Jose Andres restaurants, some more than once, but my most memorable meal was at Bazaar in Miami, The Aviary in Chicago is a cocktail restaurant by Grant Achatz. Technically, not a meal, unless nine cocktails with bite-size food pairings counts, but we sat at the chef's table and it was amazing. If I ever get the chance to eat at Alinea, I will not miss the opportunity. I am biased towards Mexican food, and my all-time favorite was at Topolobampo in Chicago. Ate there once and it was fantastic. The second time, Rick Bayless was there. Taking a chance of being forward, my wife and I introduced ourselves. He then brought us a chefs tasting menu in which he came out and introduced every course with wine pairings. Magical.

You have had some amazing culinary experiences. Interestingly enough, we were watching a documentary that featured Grant Achatz the night before going to TFL. Very interesting guy. If course I knew about his restaurants but it was interesting to hear his perspective. I would love to eat at a restaurant owned by Jose andres and wow your experience with Rick bayless sounds incredible!! I love watching him cook on his tv show. That is so awesome.

While in grad school, my wife and I were pretty much dirt poor. We used to sit in bed and watch Rick's TV show while eating cheese quesadillas and dreaming of eating at one of his restaurants. He's kind of a hero in our family.

I have seen that same documentary on Netflix on Grant Achatz. When finished, it was all I could do not to buy a ticket to Chicago just to go eat at his restaurant.

I love eating and have been fortunate enough to have many great culinary experiences (not all of them are as expensive or as involved as those listed above).

All that said, I'm not that great of a cook. I know my way around the grill, but the KK is certainly going to push my limits and broaden my horizons. My wife is an excellent cook. I'm hoping to get her on board to help with things.

Edited by xraydoc
  • Like 1

While in grad school, my wife and I were pretty much dirt poor. We used to sit in bed and watch Rick's TV show while eating cheese quesadillas and dreaming of eating at one of his restaurants. He's kind of a hero in our family.

I have seen that same documentary on Netflix on Grant Achatz. When finished, it was all I could do not to buy a ticket to Chicago just to go eat at his restaurant.

I love eating and have been fortunate enough to have many great culinary experiences (not all of them are as expensive or as involved as those listed above).

All that said, I'm not that great of a cook. I know my way around the grill, but the KK is certainly going to push my limits and broaden my horizons. My wife is an excellent cook. I'm hoping to get her on board to help with things.

Cooking has been one of my hobbies since high school, and kamado cooking just took my cooking to a while other level that other methods just can't touch, at least in my mind. My KK can definitely produce better results that my previous kamado style grill-and I was thrilled with my results prior to getting my KK. I definitely think it can improve anyone's cooking!

Your cook looks absolutely delicious. 

I would love to go to TFL if ever in that area. I have hit the Bouchon bakery in NYC and it was delicious. 

I highly,highly recommend TFL. I never stopped in bouchon bakery, but they did supply the bread at bouchon (which is more of a bistro) and was right next door. It looked quite popular.

I'm sitting here dying looking at that salmon and reading about all these amazing restaurants.  Several are on my Bucket List. My stomach won't stop growling!

I really didn't think I would get to eat at the french laundry any time soon. My husband is very sweet to me.