MacKenzie

A Two Cook Day Sausage and Bread

A friend brought me some sausages that were named for him, Nashbomb Sausages. There were so named because he brews the beer used in the making of these hot sausages. This was the first cook of the day and it was to be followed by bread baking.

Nashbomb Sausages.jpg

Nashbomb Sausages Cooked.jpg

Plated. I put  a little kimchi on the plate just because...

NB Plated.jpg

While this was going on the bread was doing it's thing and was soon ready to bake at 450F . This is another loaf of Sygyzies' freshly milled flour bread. It is just ready for me to flip out and onto parchment paper and score.

Ready to Flip.jpg

20 mins at 450F and we have this-

Bread is Baked.jpg

Fresh Milled Flour Loaf.jpg

Here is the bottom of the loaf and you can see what a wonderful job the KK baking stone does.:) The lighting is a different colour as the pix was taken in the kitchen.

Bottom.jpg

The crumb. This very light and tasty bread.

Bread Crumb.jpg

All  buttered up, first slice. :)  :):) 

Buttered Bread.jpg

THANK YOU SYZYGIES for that wonderful recipe. :) 

Baked Bread.jpg

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 3

@ HalfSmoke ----

I want to make a correction to my Translation bread recipe. It is one I used yesterday. 

3.      Leaven – Add 105g of the starter

1.2g bread yeast

Mix and leave it on the counter for a few hours then put it in the fridge for overnight. Bring it out in the morning and place in warm microwave for a few more hours until it gets going.

You could do this but I want to grind the flour the same day I use it. The fresher the better. so- 

Make your leaven the first thing in the morning and leave it in a warm place for a few hours. If need be put a glass of water in the microwave and heat it to boiling, then set the container with the leaven in the microwave. It will be ready when called for in the recipe.

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

Aussie, under the grate is what is called a false bottom for a chaffing dish. Purchased it at a restaurant supply shop. It provides some protection from the fire but also allows for some openness. I was heating my KK up for bread so I didn't want too much flame on my sausages as the temperature rose.

• Like 1

Sure thing HalfSmoke.

Here is what syzygies posted- 

Syzygies Bread Recipe.jpg

Here is my translation -

Syzygies’ Home Ground Flour Bread

1.      Grind: Red winter wheat 193g

Rye                             30g

Soft wheat                47g

Mix together. This called the Whole Flour. Ground separately and did two grinds of each ending with finest dot for grind and did not remove any bran.

2.      Make Starter.

Ground flour mix- 28g

Regular White bread flour-28g

Water- 56.5g

3.      Leaven – Add 105g of the starter

1.2g bread yeast

Mix and leave it on the counter for a few hours. If the room temperature is not warm enough heat a cup or so of water in the microwave to boiling and then set the Leaven in the warm microwave and it will be ready when called for in the recipe.

4.      Autolyze – 202g of ground flour

35g of semolina

55g Regular Bread Flour

6g ascorbic acid dilution

203g water

Mix and let stand for 2 hours.

*** (1g A.A. to 20g of reg. flour, mix very well and the dilute this again, 1g of original dilution to 20g of flour, mix very well.)

5.      Knead for 15 mins. It will be very sticky so keep hands lightly floured.

6.      Bulk- mix together Leaven

Autolyze

Salt – 7g

I used that Danish mixing tool. Rest for 40 mins.

7.      Form loaf and proof @ 75F for 2 hours.

I used the cloth lined basket to do the proof, roll onto parchment, score and then spray with water.

8.      Bake in KK on stone @440 - 450F for 20 mins.

Here is how to get the correct dilution for the Ascorbic Acid, this too is from Syzygies. He posted this on the forum.

Ascorbic Acid for Bread

The easiest workaround is to add on the order of 40 parts per million ascorbic acid, which has a marked effect on the dough. (This isn't far off from a person taking a typical pill, which is why I'm never doing that again!) One accomplishes this by mixing a 20:1 reduction with white flour, taking that mixture and making another 20:1 reduction to obtain a 440:1 dilution. (Check: (20+1)^2 = 441.) I used 15 grams of such a mixture in today's bread dough.

• Like 1