ckreef

I Like Cheap Butts

This wasn't what I had planned for the weekend. But had to work Saturday (last minute company decision). After work went to the local Piggly Wiggly and I saw this double pack for $1.09 per lb. I couldn't resist so I changed the  game plan. 

CBa.jpg

Put one in the freezer. The other one I trimmed up and coated in a vinegar/BBQ sauce. 

CBb.jpg

Put it on at 9:30 pm Saturday night. After 10 hours at an IT 174* I pulled it, wrapped in foil and put it back in the KK.  

DSC01288CBc.jpg

Total cook time was 13 hours. Removed from the KK, wrapped in a towel then into a cooler it went. Next I started on my 6 hour Brunswick Stew cook. After resting in the cooler for 6 hours 15 minutes it was still above 140*. 

resta.jpg

Mrs skreef made my favorite Cornbread muffin tops. Served with summer slaw, pickles and an assortment of homemade BBQ sauces. 

CBd.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. I know most people associate certain food with spring/summer or fall/winter. Me and Mrs skreef was talking about this earlier. I basically don't make that association, it's all just food. 

I'll be honest my family loves pulled pork. For me it's just OK. I could take it or leave it except for Brunswick Stew. I love Brunswick Stew, it's the main reason I cook pulled pork. 

My son is not fond of Brunswick Stew. I told him sorry but with extra pulled pork from this cook in the freezer and another butt in the freezer he's got a bunch of Brunswick Stew coming his way - LOL - maybe I'll try making a minced pork sheppards pie just to change it up. 

• Like 1

This is one of my favorite meals ckreef cooks.. Its a really nice flavorful soup. The broth was so tasty and veggies were  tender. With all the pack flavors from the pull pork,  it was the bomb.. Along with buttered top cornbread... Wish I was having this again tonight.