Aussie Ora

Things are looking good

What he said ^  

Glad your loving them Mac these were picked fresh then freeze dried it took a week to get to me then nearly two to get to ckreef and Tony so they are ultra fresh . most peppers are best at the start ,and this goes for the berries but unlike other peppers these seem to hold their taste to the dry end lol I sent ckreef some outback spirit pepper salt .they would have been dry as I love the stuff by the way but ckreef loved the taste he could taste it that's what I love about them

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Today I mixed up Batch #2 of the now infamous Purple Crack. Found the "perfect" salt to make it with, too!

5934768eba63e_AussieFlakeSalt.thumb.jpg.5aca7090dfb7045398cfa6a07ecc4970.jpg

Mixed 1 oz of Taz pepper berried to 1.5 oz of the Aussie Flake salt. I found that equal parts just wasn't salty enough, so I bumped it up 50%. Nice!

593477284d788_PurpleCrack-Batch2.thumb.jpg.6a118e3657e13e5b011792e9eb6d63a2.jpg

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, tony b said:

Good plan, Charles. I have a separate grinder for pure berries - the "free base" of Purple Crack!! 

It hit me today that the newly opened bag has more punch than the stuff from Batch #1, which was getting on a month old. 

I too have a grinder just for berries. I've found that fresh cracked in the mortar and pestle gives me more control over the grind and they're really fresh. You just have to get use to how much to put in the  mortar for what your trying to use (just a few berries is usually enough). 

I was able to order 1 kilo of the dried pepperberries from pepperberry.net.au.  Tracking says that the shipment has made it to New York on Saturday.  Hopefully it does not take to long to work its way to Virginia!  I paid $116 US for 1 kilo of the dried pepperberries and that price included shipping.  After reading so much about the "purple crack" I had to try it for myself.  Should I break the package down to smaller sizes and vacuum pack them?  What size packages have you guys used?  Do you store them in the refrigerator?  Thanks for any input.

Keith

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keith B said:

I was able to order 1 kilo of the dried pepperberries from pepperberry.net.au.  Tracking says that the shipment has made it to New York on Saturday.  Hopefully it does not take to long to work its way to Virginia!  I paid $116 US for 1 kilo of the dried pepperberries and that price included shipping.  After reading so much about the "purple crack" I had to try it for myself.  Should I break the package down to smaller sizes and vacuum pack them?  What size packages have you guys used?  Do you store them in the refrigerator?  Thanks for any input.

Keith

I would break it down into 1/2 cup portions and then vacuum seal. They sell small pre-made vacuum seal bags. 

• Like 1

I would break it down into 1/2 cup portions and then vacuum seal. They sell small pre-made vacuum seal bags. 

Thanks ckreef. I vacuum pack my brewing hops so I have some small bags. Do you store them in the freezer or in your spice cabinet?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

@Keith B - I weighed mine out into 2 oz and 4 oz vacuum bags. I'm just stashing them in a box in the pantry. I've found these bags from FoodSaver work well for small quantities, better than making them off of 8" rolls (usually too big).

http://www.foodsaver.com/food-storage-bags-and-containers/vacuum-seal-bags-and-rolls/11-inch-vacuum-sealer-rolls/foodsaver-11-x-16-portion-pouch-vacuum-seal-roll-2-pack/FSFSBF2626-002.html#start=4

[mention=2906]Keith B[/mention] - I weighed mine out into 2 oz and 4 oz vacuum bags. I'm just stashing them in a box in the pantry. I've found these bags from FoodSaver work well for small quantities, better than making them off of 8" rolls (usually too big).
http://www.foodsaver.com/food-storage-bags-and-containers/vacuum-seal-bags-and-rolls/11-inch-vacuum-sealer-rolls/foodsaver-11-x-16-portion-pouch-vacuum-seal-roll-2-pack/FSFSBF2626-002.html#start=4

That is what I do with pellet hops. I buy them by the pound and separate them into one and two ounce packages then store in the freezer.

[mention=2906]Keith B[/mention] - I weighed mine out into 2 oz and 4 oz vacuum bags. I'm just stashing them in a box in the pantry. I've found these bags from FoodSaver work well for small quantities, better than making them off of 8" rolls (usually too big).

Tony, question for you. I have a randall in my home pub and was thinking of running a beer through some whole or very coarsely crushed pepperberries. I have run a gose through serrano peppers before and a blonde ale through habaneros. Any idea what beer would pair well with the pepperberries?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keith B said:

Tony, question for you. I have a randall in my home pub and was thinking of running a beer through some whole or very coarsely crushed pepperberries. I have run a gose through serrano peppers before and a blonde ale through habaneros. Any idea what beer would pair well with the pepperberries?

I just store mine in the pantry. 

I don't know anything about brewing beer but if you used a light pale you should end up with Purple Martian beer - just sayin ........ 

I would think a very course crack. 

Keith

Congrats mate .I have the vac seal canisters just re seal them when I take what I need. You just don't want them to absorb the air or they will go soft

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill