erik6bd

Just a little Tri Tip and boy was it juicy.

Just look at that moisture, awesome  

I have yet to make anything on this KK that wasn't dripping juice. No dry meat here that's for sure. In all reality you can grill a ton of food all week long for less a $100. That's less then 2 dinners out at a decent restaurant. I just love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, erik6bd said:

I have yet to make anything on this KK that wasn't dripping juice. No dry meat here that's for sure.

And you haven't even done a whole chicken yet! Wait until you try that - your mind will be blown!  Doesn't matter what technique - whole (just don't do that stupid "beer can" thing!), spatchcocked, or rotisserie.

And you haven't even done a whole chicken yet! Wait until you try that - your mind will be blown!  Doesn't matter what technique - whole (just don't do that stupid "beer can" thing!), spatchcocked, or rotisserie.

Anyone have a really good recipe for spatchcock chicken??

1 hour ago, erik6bd said:

Anyone have a really good recipe for spatchcock chicken??

Season with whatever you like but for cooking I like hot (350-450) but most important flip to skin side down at some point...maybe half way to get some nice crispy tasty skin. 

Seasoning salt pepper garlic is still my favorite but lots more combos than that.  Dry brining with some kosher salt does wonders. 

• Like 1

Not spatchcock but my all time favorite way to roast chicken, and the way I do it all the time, is from the late Judy Rodgers recipe in her Zuni Cafe cookbook.   https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015770-zuni-cafe-chicken

And a thoroughly heat soaked KK, sitting at 500F or even 525F when you put the chicken on ... then shut down the vents ... just takes it over the top.   It will blow your mind:   Crispy crispy skin yet moist juicy dark & light meat with incredible flavor and tenderness devoid of the negatives of wet brining.    I dare you:   Try NOT to like it :D

Edited by dstr8

1 hour ago, dstr8 said:

Not spatchcock but my all time favorite way to roast chicken, and the way I do it all the time, is from the late Judy Rodgers recipe in her Zuni Cafe cookbook.   https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015770-zuni-cafe-chicken

And a thoroughly heat soaked KK, sitting at 500F or even 525F when you put the chicken on ... then shut down the vents ... just takes it over the top.   It will blow your mind:   Crispy crispy skin yet moist juicy dark & light meat with incredible flavor and tenderness devoid of the negatives of wet brining.    I dare you:   Try NOT to like it :D

I've not done one this way, but just a "heads up" for folks that might try it. WARNING - once you've closed all the vents, do NOT open the KK until you are sure that the coals have gone completely out (dome temp drop of 100F). Then open the top vent for a few moments before you open the lid. Otherwise, you risk setting up a flashback, which is NOT a good thing. You can seriously burn yourself. I did it once when cooking on a friend's BGE, which I was not used to cooking on. Fortunately, I only singed off the hair on my right arm, but there was a nice blue fireball and a big WOOSH! 

• Like 2

Back on topic - love spatchcocked chicken. I usually inject my bird overnight with Butcher BBQ Bird Booster. Then, liberally dust the outside with Plowboy's Yardbird. I cook direct, skin side up, on the upper grate with a dome temp of 375F until the bird is almost done, then ramp up to 425F and flip over for skin side down until crispy. For a short cook like this, I don't use the smoking pot. Just a few chunks of a nice fruit wood on the coals - cherry or peach. 

5914f5e37bca3_cluckatfinish-1.thumb.JPG.7ad29dc0a19ee49d908e2aa55a6f47c9.JPG

• Like 4

Back on topic - love spatchcocked chicken. I usually inject my bird overnight with Butcher BBQ Bird Booster. Then, liberally dust the outside with Plowboy's Yardbird. I cook direct, skin side up, on the upper grate with a dome temp of 375F until the bird is almost done, then ramp up to 425F and flip over for skin side down until crispy. For a short cook like this, I don't use the smoking pot. Just a few chunks of a nice fruit wood on the coals - cherry or peach. 
5914f5e37bca3_cluckatfinish-1.thumb.JPG.7ad29dc0a19ee49d908e2aa55a6f47c9.JPG

Did you use the heat shield stone or the basket splitter?

On 5/10/2017 at 5:34 PM, erik6bd said:

Wow my first Tri Tip and my new favorite. This thing was quick and so juicy I couldn't get enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

That is a beautiful tri-tip.  This is my favorite cut of beef.  So juicy and beefy.  I do one a week and have one ready to go on the KK tonight.  Great job!

13 hours ago, erik6bd said:

Did you use the heat shield stone or the basket splitter?

Neither. That's why I use the upper grate, so the chicken is as far away from the direct heat as possible. Nothing wrong with using something as a heat shield, it's just that I usually don't.

BTW - haven't used the heat deflector stone in years. Takes way too long to heat up the grill with it in there. I use either the original drip pan or just some aluminum foil on the lower grate. If I'm worried about flare ups, but don't want to go completely indirect heating, I use one of these grates on top of the charcoal basket handles. Jon came up with this idea some time back and cut one to fit my 23". 

5915d2738da1b_CharbroilGratebox.thumb.jpg.b42811f0e579a3d5e167ad35b49cbaf9.jpg