amusedtodeath

Strawberry season

1 hour ago, Tyrus said:

Strawberries???????????? It was snowin the other day when I looked out the winda. Got sum cool whip?

I got the good stuff - home made whipping cream... Worst case scenario, a large can of RediWhip extra creamy...:occasion7: and of course, always Ben & Jerry's vanilla ice cream in the freezer! 

• Like 2

Every picture tells a story. Now that's pretty desolate, lonely, and an uninhabited place. Pretty soon the strawberries will be bloomin on those trees and the those chairs will be full of the good friends that are a part of warm weather. It's a comin, stoke the fire, the phoenix is rising. 

4 hours ago, ckreef said:

I use to go to Lane packing every spring for u-pick strawberries. I haven't been in a few years. Will have to try and go within the next couple of weeks. 

We stopped in there in 2016 during peach season, and chef Curtis Stone was there being filmed as he was being given a tour around the facilities. We've never seen the footage from that on television. Would love to know what program that was being filmed for. Cool place. 635D5DCA-E7D1-42FF-8284-A52DEF36D9C1.thumb.jpeg.3b18eb9a2c8a659b901bd8be049ceb61.jpeg057A45E2-7244-4D11-93CA-BBECCA19D6BB.thumb.jpeg.555a20e34c1093e8b06245a8402f9be2.jpeg

We love lane packing. Although it's been a few years since we did the u-pick strawberries we go every year during peach season. Watching the packing operation never gets old for me. It's about an hour drive from home. 

Lane is one of my favorite places in all the world. I grew up about 15 mins away. 30-35 years ago they just grew peaches, no strawberries (in fact, for a time they were the single largest peach producer in the country). But they distributed strawberries, mostly from South Florida. My grandfather was good friends with the Lane family and often acted as their buyer as he had many connections from working in the USDA. As a young child I spent countless hours playing on the line and in and around the trucks. To this day, the smell of a slightly chilled fresh peach takes me right back to that very place. I left the area long ago, but whenever we are near, my family always stops and has an ice cream. We also bing some fruit home and do grilled peaches which are pretty fantastic.
  • Like 4