cruzmisl

Tried the 3-2-1 method and.......

For years I have done my side ribs naked on the cooker and thought the results were pretty darn good. I read on Raichlen's site that people recommend a 3-2-1 method or a variant of the 3-2-1. If you're not familiar it's basically 3hrs naked, 2hours in foil and then the last hour naked again. Since they are side ribs I probably only did a 2-1-1 method but the point is I foiled them.

Anyway, I didn't like it. The meat fell off the bone and was mushy. The taste was OK but the texture was way off. I like tender meat but also like it to stick to the bone just a bit. I don't want all the rib meat to come off on my first bite.

Anyway give it a try if you're so inclined but I don't really care for it.

Joe

Joe, I gotta agree with you. I am not into BBQ mush either. I like ribs where the meat still adheres slightly to the bone (but of course can be pulled off with a slight effort). I am not into foil either, that stuff if for the oven or when resting the BBQ, not for the grill.

Just for info, I moved the post here to the technique section as I thought it would be good info for new people to get this type of info.

-=Jasen=-

Re: Tried the 3-2-1 method and.......

For years I have done my side ribs naked on the cooker and thought the results were pretty darn good. I read on Raichlen's site that people recommend a 3-2-1 method or a variant of the 3-2-1. If you're not familiar it's basically 3hrs naked, 2hours in foil and then the last hour naked again. Since they are side ribs I probably only did a 2-1-1 method but the point is I foiled them.

Anyway, I didn't like it. The meat fell off the bone and was mushy. The taste was OK but the texture was way off. I like tender meat but also like it to stick to the bone just a bit. I don't want all the rib meat to come off on my first bite.

Anyway give it a try if you're so inclined but I don't really care for it.

Joe

I agree with you Joe (and DJ), I foiled once and they were very mushy. I guess some folks have experimented with it enough to get it to their mushiness level...but I want a bit more of a bite to the ribs.

foil?!?!? the "texas crutch"? the "security blanket"? foiling is the same as boiling! it kills me how some folks consider it a sign of "awesome" ribs when they pull on a bone and it slides out of the meat. ick. i've cured more than one misguided soul with my ribs. you should be able to bite into a rib and have a nice mouthful of meat pull cleanly from the bone.

you want mush? eat a mc-rib.

the only time i'm forced to use foil or saran is when i'm hotboxing ribs or butts for a meal set to start hours after i pull ribs off the grill. PERSONALLY, i feel like the ribs are best fresh off the grill. the bark is right, the spices are bright, and the smoke flavor isn't muted like it gets after "stewing" in foil or saran.

steaming your ribs, regardless of the mechanism, doesn't just result in bad texture, but also screws up the flavor. i wont continue, to spare the feelings of them that foil; specially since TNW does it, and i hold him in high regard (generally :D ). but, imo, it is a shortcut, not an enhancement. if i'm gonna invest time and effort into producing excellent ribs, i'm not interested in shortcuts. i'd rather produce a few less-than-perfect slabs in my quest for the perfect rib.

from what my friends and family have to say, even my less-than-perfect slabs are no wasted effort :wink:

pork cooked with a guru isn't REAL barbecue...

heh heh.

would hate to disappoint you TNW :lol:

actually, for REAL REAL bbq, you gotta get one of those emeril-type stove top smoker boxes!! or, of course, the SHOWTIME ROTIS, and everybody's favorite...

baby. back. ribs.

ronco-enlg.jpg

heh... sorry dennis :lol:

oh' date=' crikey, next we'll be arguing that pork cooked with a guru isn't real barbecue.... :lol:[/quote']

Yeah, I saw that argument (discussion) too. Some people are still wondering if BBQ is what you cook, or what you cook on :shock:

I'll have to agree with ole AlanZ on that one, if it's easier and tastes right to ya, it's OK. Has nothing to do with your sleep, or loss of sleep. If we didn't agree with him to some extent...we wouldn't be using ceramics.

I just had ggod ribs without foil and then the one time I did foil...they were to soft. :?

just to clear things up, i didn't say that using the crutch made your ribs "not-bbq". i just don't think much of the technique. it's a shortcut that, IMO, detracts from the overall quality of the ribs. i don't have a problem with making life easier if it doesn't detract from the quality of my cooking. the ceramic cooker lets me be at ease with the issue of temp control, which i like. it doesn't detract from the quality of my food, but rather enhances it.

some folks here use gurus and like them alot. i don't have a need for them, as i've not had a problem with temp controls on my ceramic cookers. i SURE don't have a problem with those that like using them; just seems to me like "guilding the lilly" just a little bit, but hey, its about having fun and enjoying yourself, so do it up if you want.

i WILL take a stand on the philosophy being attibuted by curly to alanz; that is, if its easier and tastes good to you, then do it. in and of itself, this is a fine outlook, HOWEVER to take the product of such a philosophy and call it BBQ when you've baked it in the oven, or boiled it in a crockpot or whatnot, is wrong. you might have "bbq sauce" involved; it might be ribs done in a showtime rotis; burgers on the foreman grill. they ain't bbq, and i'll say so to anybody that claims otherwise. eat it. enjoy it. but if i'm in the room when you call it BBQ, expect to define some terms.

so, i'm not a curmudgeon. you can foil it and call it bbq and i wont argue. you can set your gurus and let er rip. cool with me.

tinfoil and gurus are for wimps... :shock: hehehehehe

"and he rode a pink horse, whose name was Rainbow Fairykisses. and the name of the rider was Deej"

how's the ol' back tattoo Deej!!

i'm gone for a month or so, and this place goes right to the gutter; amazing you made it there without me :D

Watch it Porky, I was holding up your pulpit; I can tear it down! :evil:

-=Jasen=-

I thought I posted this yesterday but came back and the post wasn't there, and this was before the two bottles of wine I drank last night. Please forgive if I posted someplace else, feel free to point it out to me and I'll delete one of the two posts.

I have guests coming today who love fall off the bone ribs and prefer this to how I like mine, a gentle tug to get the meat off the bone. So my question is, can I get fall off the bone with my ceramic without foiling? I've definitely noticed the higher level of moisture in my product so I'm thinking I might be able to get fall off the bone without the foil. In the past I've used a modified 3-2-1 method to achieve this level of "doneness," how will this work on a ceramic?

Looking forward to doing my first spares on the ceramic.

Larrry, I haven't seen a misplaced post, so it must be lost in cyberland.

I also prefer the some slight tooth to my ribs, so I don't foil. I did foil a rack once just to compare, and I have never had that consistency to the meat any other time off of my ceramics - which is a good thing. I think the braising is required to get that texture. Just going longer on the ceramic will just dry them more, and give you a thicker bark.