ckreef

KK Cold Smoker, Blueberries and Ribs

All this talk is pushing me to the "buy a hot/cold smoker space".  Good job!  

Keen to see how @sfdrew28's brisket cook goes.  Also interested in the difference between this and the smoke pot.  For a start, it would seem that the Dennis smoker will keep going for longer.  But is there a better/different flavour with the smoke pot?

13 minutes ago, tekobo said:

All this talk is pushing me to the "buy a hot/cold smoker space".  Good job!  

Keen to see how @sfdrew28's brisket cook goes.  Also interested in the difference between this and the smoke pot.  For a start, it would seem that the Dennis smoker will keep going for longer.  But is there a better/different flavour with the smoke pot?

I had some posts on hot smoking with this thing when it first came out. Not gonna look them up and force them on you, but summarizing key points:

• Both give you clean smoke.
  • Temp range: smoke pot is at its best from 225-275F. Cold smoker has no limits.
  • Smoke intensity: cold smoker is controllable throughout the cook. Smoke pot is set, forget, and accept what it gives you.
  • Smoke duration: Unlimited with cold smoker because you can refill anytime. About 4 hours with the smoke pot.
  • Ease of use: Smoke pot is dead simple. Cold smoker requires power, tubes, attachments, etc. (but worth the minimal hassle). 

Both have their place, but the cold smoker is super versatile. 

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6cd7526de7daaf885b05d3b156e95b32.jpg9713fcb28080845b13c86166b4753b29.jpgf8e36f359f2d814b2673c7c2241bd72d.jpg19b10ac27e909f643a52b58a32784fd6.jpg50c7888c7bcb93ede02032dbb1ba543d.jpg

Okay all...I started the cook at 9:30 pm and it took off the Wagyu brisket at 2:30pm so a 17 hour cook. The temp held most of the night. I did have to add a bit of lump around noon for the final stretch.
The pellets seemed to work real well although they did go out towards the end of their burn.
Excellent bark and very juicy point. I chopped up the flat for sandwiches and stuff in the future. Flat was on the tinfoil.
Overall, extremely pleased with cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Pequod said:

Both have their place, but the cold smoker is super versatile.

Thanks @Pequod, I can feel something pushing me towards the smoker.  Not bad if it is the only thing I missed off my original order but now want.  Oh yeah, and a 22" table top and/or a 42", just for the hell of it.  Waiting for that lottery win.  The goat that comes with the 42" will come in handy.  

Lovely looking brisket @sfdrew28.  How much did it weigh?  I think it was you who was puzzled by how fast my briskets cook.  I assume it is must be because my briskets are smaller but I don't know by how much.  I have loved my good brisket cooks but I suspect that those of you who can buy larger (and grain fed?) briskets get a different taste experience.  

• Like 2

In a 19" (most people have bigger KK's) a smoke pot doesn't work really well. I bought a nice small 1.5 qt CI pot and drilled my holes. The problem in a 19" table top is not really enough space in the fire basket to accommodate the small smoke pot. It worked really well one time. The next two times it didn't and so I gave up on it. I didn't preheat the CI ahead of time and that probably would have helped. 

The only real pain with the smoker is cleaning it. There are numerous products that help. ZEP 505 cuts rights through the build up and one day I'll order some brewers wash. Dealing with the air pump is about as much effort as dealing with the rotisserie motor and both are just not an issue. One day I'll have them both cranked up and do a smoked rotisserie cook. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sfdrew28 said:

The brisket weighed 15 pounds before trimming so about 12-13 at cook time.

I found soaking the smoker in brewers wash overnight worked the best. Effortlessly cleaned the next day.

I do the same. Just habit now. Soak the cold smoker in PBW and reassemble. Good to go next day.

55 minutes ago, tony b said:

Curious as to how much you "disassemble" the cold smoker to soak in the PBW? I was just thinking about taking off the top and bottom, but leaving the air tube on it? 

I take off the air tube too. Reason is that “gunk” (technical term...look it up) tends to accumulate in there.  After the PBW, I run a long metal skewer inside to remove it.

If you don't remove the smoke tube you stand the chance that "gunk" could eventually lock it in place making it extra hard to remove. A simple quarter turn twist and it comes right out. I also remove the air tube. A complete disassembly. The only part I don't remove is the guru port adapter. I have that screwed down with the set screw and is the only part that would require a tool to remove (tool supplied). 

Edited by ckreef

I bought the best single outlet pump the local pet store had. The trick is to get a two gang valve. The valve that's not hooked to anything I use as a bleed off and Control the amount of air going to the smoker with that valve. 

Do you mean like this . https://www.aquariumkingdom.com.au/aqua-one-gang-valve-2-way

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

7 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

Do you mean like this . https://www.aquariumkingdom.com.au/aqua-one-gang-valve-2-way

Yes that should work. You can't see them in the picture but there should be two connections on the back side that look like the connection on the right side. The valves control the air going out the back side connections. 

I believe Dennis is currently supplying a pump but not sure if it's compatible with your electricity. If you have to buy a pump get a decent sized one outlet pump. 

• Like 1

Yes that should work. You can't see them in the picture but there should be two connections on the back side that look like the connection on the right side. The valves control the air going out the back side connections. 
I believe Dennis is currently supplying a pump but not sure if it's compatible with your electricity. If you have to buy a pump get a decent sized one outlet pump. 

Dennis supplies to the states so cant expect him to hold every voltage for the rest of us lol .alcohol is doing my head in what do you use .

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

Dennis supplies to the states so cant expect him to hold every voltage for the rest of us lol .alcohol is doing my head in what do you use .

I bought the biggest single outlet pump from Fluval. About $25 USD. There are lot of smaller/cheaper pumps on the market. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Ora said:

I'm thinking alcohol are you using rubbing alcohol. The only alcohol I get is from the bottle shop lol and drink it.

91% clear rubbing alcohol. 

But just go raid your liquor cabinet. Technically anything over 100 proof will light but grab some 151 or higher for better results. 

• Like 1

91% clear rubbing alcohol. 

But just go raid your liquor cabinet. Technically anything over 100 proof will light but grab some 151 or higher for better results. 

Rubbing alcohol it is we get taxed to the max on percentage down here .I'm going to drink it

• Haha 2

The pump Dennis sends out works really well. It’s a single valve but it has a dial to control the airflow. Don’t think you’d need the dual valve unless I’m missing something

8 minutes ago, sfdrew28 said:

The pump Dennis sends out works really well. It’s a single valve but it has a dial to control the airflow. Don’t think you’d need the dual valve unless I’m missing something

Dennis's pump is probably for the American market (110v). If I'm not mistaken Australia is 230v ?? With a different style plug. There is a chance Aussie will have buy his own pump. Sort of the same situation with American rotisserie motors compared to Australian rotisserie motors. 

Both me and Aussie could be wrong with this but if we're right he'll probably need the valve unless he can find an adjustable air pump.