Shuley

Pizza steel?

So I'm really wanting to try out some pizzas on a pizza steel and would like the option to go from my oven to my 23 KK.  Problem is, the pizza steels I see are square or rectangular in shape that would just barely be too large to fit on the top rack because of the handles.  Are there any good pizza steel recommendations?  Should I just stick to one in my oven?  Or should I ask a guy I know who welds if he can cut a 14" piece of steel and give him a template?  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Shuley said:
So I'm really wanting to try out some pizzas on a pizza steel and would like the option to go from my oven to my 23 KK.  Problem is, the pizza steels I see are square or rectangular in shape that would just barely be too large to fit on the top rack because of the handles.  Are there any good pizza steel recommendations?  Should I just stick to one in my oven?  Or should I ask a guy I know who welds if he can cut a 14" piece of steel and give him a template?  

I don't know if Baking Steel steel does this or not but they used to make custom steels. You could ask them if they can do one to fit your KK. Mind you I perfer the KK stone in the KK and the steel in the oven.

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Shuley said:

ask the guy you know you will be much happier and is going to be less money plus its a custom job

i had a local welding shop do one for me mine is 18 in round... i called baking steel to see if they could do same thing but there price for 18 in round was a little more then double the price plus shipping i was very happy with the way my local welding shops price was and the product ..

• Like 1

The few times I used the Baking Steel in the KK I had to be careful or the bottom of the pizza or bread would get too dark. That's the beauty of the KK stone, I don't have to worry about the bottom getting too dark before the top cooks. I do love the steel for pizza in my oven for the winter.

Edited by MacKenzie

On 10/23/2018 at 2:50 AM, MacKenzie said:

The few times I used the Baking Steel in the KK I had to be careful or the bottom of the pizza or bread would get too dark. That's the beauty of the KK stone, I don't have to worry about the bottom getting too dark before the top cooks. I do love the steel for pizza in my oven for the winter.

Just needs a much lower temp to get the same leopard-spotting results on the cracker crust pies

On 10/22/2018 at 3:38 AM, Stile88 said:

ask the guy you know you will be much happier and is going to be less money plus its a custom job

i had a local welding shop do one for me mine is 18 in round... i called baking steel to see if they could do same thing but there price for 18 in round was a little more then double the price plus shipping i was very happy with the way my local welding shops price was and the product ..

Do you have a 23?  I just took out a tape measure and it doesn't look like 18 inches would fit on the top rack because of the handles? 

9 minutes ago, Shuley said:

Do you have a 23?  I just took out a tape measure and it doesn't look like 18 inches would fit on the top rack because of the handles? 

why yes i do have a 23 and yes it fits fine for me . the 18 inch round i have fits just perfect on the main grate as well

Edited by Stile88

10 minutes ago, Stile88 said:

why yes i do have a 23 and yes it fits fine for me . the 18 inch round i have fits just perfect on the main grate as well

There must be some slight variation between how the handles are angled.  I'd prefer a bigger steel since my pizzas are almost always lopsided lol.  But it would be a bummer to not fit in the upper rack.  I think 17 inches might be close enough though. 

3 minutes ago, Shuley said:

There must be some slight variation between how the handles are angled.  I'd prefer a bigger steel since my pizzas are almost always lopsided lol.  But it would be a bummer to not fit in the upper rack.  I think 17 inches might be close enough though. 

You can bend the handles a little from the exact center of handle to handle(inside to inside ) i have 18 3/8" so my 18 inch round fits perfect

if its different for you perhaps 17 would be better for you either way you will love it ..i wanted my pizzas bigger so is why i opted to go bigger on the steel

50 minutes ago, Stile88 said:

You can bend the handles a little from the exact center of handle to handle(inside to inside ) i have 18 3/8" so my 18 inch round fits perfect

if its different for you perhaps 17 would be better for you either way you will love it ..i wanted my pizzas bigger so is why i opted to go bigger on the steel

How did you go about bending the handles? Or did you not have to do that? 

25 minutes ago, Shuley said:

How did you go about bending the handles? Or did you not have to do that? 

i took a piece of 2 by 4 stuck it in the handle  and pulled upward to bend it back a little not much at all both handles..you could use a hammer but use handle make sure the hammer handle is a little heavy duty

Edited by Stile88

I had to bend the handles back on mine to get Dennis' pizza stone to fit. Used a rubber mallet. One of them actually broke off - no harm, no foul in my book. Made things even easier and I don't use the handles to pick it up anyway when it's on the grill, as it's hard to get a heavy glove through the handle.

• Like 1

I bent the handles of one of my 23 grates to more easily let the baking stone fit. It didn't take too much.

On the other hand, I had to bend one of my charcoal baskets slightly so I could use it with the splitter either left to right or front to back (the basket wasn't exactly round). That took much longer, a mini sledge hammer, 100 lb. anvil, and slightly mashed thumb. Works great now!

• Haha 2