Alohapiggy

Fire died

I’m just curious has this happened to any other KK owner.  I was holding 225 to 235 solid for about 5 or so hours. I was not using anything but a ThermoWorks blue dot to monitor temps. The vents were set and I was waiting for the end result.  Left for about 3 hours, and when I got home the fire was out and my pork butt was sitting @ 155. I just started the fire again and put the meat back on. Hopefully the pork butt is still good.    

Standard questions would be..

Did you start with a full basket?
DId you shake out your ash from the last cook before the cook?
Did you pour the smalls from the bottom of the bag into the basket?
Could the charcoal be damp?
Was there a breeze before but not after?  Wind blowing directly into the grill's face can artificially boost temps.
What might have reduced your airflow?  Did you make any setting changes before you left?

• Like 2

I've had fires go out mid-cook before, but it's rare. The one time that I can recall the reason was that my smoker pot was sitting on top of the burning coals and when they burned up more, the pot slide down and blocked the fire from getting to the unlit charcoal in the basket. I now make sure that my fire is started at the front of the smoker pot and not completely under it. 

I've never had it happen, but then i'm always very careful how i build / position my charcoal. 

What size were the charcoal chunks? I always find i get much better performance and reliability with larger chunks compared to lots of broken up little bits, as Dennis says above, the small bits of charcoal can block the airflow.

Bye bye my brisket on rye
Ran my Kamado down to embers but the fire was shy
And them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye
Singin' this'll be the fire that dies
This'll be the fire that dies

Did you write the book of smoke
And do you have faith in that Dennis bloke
If the Forum tells you so?
Do you believe in the ember's glow?
Can coffee lump save your mortal soul?
And can you teach me how to cook real slow?

Edited by Syzygies
The Day the Fire Died
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, Alohapiggy said:

I’m debating if I should get a Cyber Q. I sold my Flame boss 200 with my egg. I wasn’t planning on getting any type of fan assisted unit.  I’m gonna keep trying low and slow cooks till I get use to my new grill. 

Alohapiggy

i have a 23kk and use a Flame Boss 500

they sell a guru adapter plug that will mate the Flame Boss 500 to you smoker port and the probes have no right angles so you can easily slide them through the small port on the side