Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jruddy

Greetings from Delaware

Recommended Posts

Since I officially placed my order for a 32" Cobolt Blue KK, I figured I should introduce myself.

Canadian living in Delaware, backyard hack who enjoys cooking, cars, and golf.

Started with a Brinkmann electric drum style smoker that I used for 10 years (had 2 over that time).
Graduated to a Weber Smoky Mountain, and a Weber Summit gas grill for 4 years.
Then replaced Smoky Mountain with a Kamado Joe Big Joe for 2.5 years
Now replaced Summit with a Lynx 54" Pro grill on NG
Just (today) sold KJ and bought a Traeger Ironwood, so I have something to at least smoke on with while I wait for the 32" KK. Had a Traeger 7 years ago (for 3 weeks) but only had a small deck and wife said we didn't have room for 2 bbqs so it had to go. Great for a few things but terrible for sear and hi temp cooking.
End result will be a 32"KK, my Lynx, Traeger, and adding a Lynx 30" griddle.

Yes most will say, I may not use anything but my KK after I have one, but the Traeger makes some amazing chicken that I dont have to babysit, and the 1000F sear burner on the Lynx is nice to have when doing a reverse sear on another unit. There are only 2 of us but I do enjoy mixing different processes and eating a fine steak or smoked food.

Looking forward to experimenting with the KK (yes I bought 15 cases of cocochar at the same time).
 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome from a Canadian living in Nova Scotia. ;)  When do you expect your KK to arrive? I'm you will be impressed not only with the stunning quality of the KK but the taste of the food you cook on it. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome @jruddy.   It sounds like you are all set for your KK adventure.  It is fun using different cooking methods.  What accessories did you order?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jruddy said:

Yes most will say, I may not use anything but my KK after I have one, but the Traeger makes some amazing chicken that I dont have to babysit,

Welcome to the Obsession! You're going to be blown away by what this grill/smoker can do. I will bet the Farm that some of those other pieces of hardware you have now will be on Craig's list within a few months! Chicken is probably the best thing you can do on a KK, especially if you went with the rotisserie option. The low airflow in the KK keeps birds very moist without much hassle (no brining). If no rotisserie, then you will find spatchcocked chicken (aka roadkill) will be just as good. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tekobo said:

Welcome @jruddy.   It sounds like you are all set for your KK adventure.  It is fun using different cooking methods.  What accessories did you order?

Thanks,

SS shelves

cold smoker

basket splitter

cover

rotisserie

pizza stone

Double bottom drip

15 cases of coco char

 

think that’s it! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tony b said:

Welcome to the Obsession! You're going to be blown away by what this grill/smoker can do. I will bet the Farm that some of those other pieces of hardware you have now will be on Craig's list within a few months! Chicken is probably the best thing you can do on a KK, especially if you went with the rotisserie option. The low airflow in the KK keeps birds very moist without much hassle (no brining). If no rotisserie, then you will find spatchcocked chicken (aka roadkill) will be just as good. 

Thank you. Yeah I had the rotisserie for my KJ as well. Some great tasting chicken!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:smt023 on the accessory list, especially loading up on the coco char!

Only 1 piece of advice, if it's not too late, get a second charcoal basket for the basket splitter. It makes swapping back and forth sooooo much easier if all you have to do is lift out one and drop in the other, no assembly required!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tony b said:

:smt023 on the accessory list, especially loading up on the coco char!

Only 1 piece of advice, if it's not too late, get a second charcoal basket for the basket splitter. It makes swapping back and forth sooooo much easier if all you have to do is lift out one and drop in the other, no assembly required!! 

Thanks. Yeah I did kick that around but for me, this is a weekend only toy. I work too many hours during the week to do a lot of cooking at home. Ultimately figured it wouldn’t be that hard to adjust as needed. 

 

We will see, once I have some time with it,I may change my mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @jruddy.  It looks like you are pretty much set.  The two things that revolutionised my fire lighting were a MAPP torch and a small leaf blower.  There are threads elsewhere on the forum about the type of leaf blower available in the US if you are interested. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the KK forum and congrats on your new KK. Looking forward to your uncrating and first cook pictures lots of pictures please. We are a very visual group and like pictures

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...