RedStick

Hello....My Name is RedStick

If neither one of those work, just say "Sweetie, I'm getting a 32" Komodo Kamado and there's not a damn thing you can do about it." Women love men with an assertive attitude. If she starts to give you any lip, just put your finger to your lips in the universal sign that means "Close your beak." I'm not responsible for any attorney's fees or having to give the house away if my suggestions don't work.

I also would not rule out a swift kick to the testicles!

You folks are funny.  I'd rather protect the goods as long as I can.

Bosco (typo first run) h mentioned a splitter basket.  I assume that would be a firebox splitter basket and would be used similar to what the KJ Big Joe has, except I've used the KJ Big Joe splitter exactly once when looking to do some two zone cooking.

Do you guys use the splitter?

While I've gotten away from using constant temperature monitoring for the most part, it is nice that the KK has built in channels to allow to run the probes through.  Nice touch.  I'll still use a probe for the big cuts of meat (port, brisket), but for the every day stuff, nah.  I'm getting the approximate timing all figured out.  I assume the same will be said for when I cook on a KK....uh, IF I ever have the joy of cooking on a KK.

The baking stone - I suppose that is used for pizza, bread, anything that you are looking to "bake", would that be correct?  So no individual pizza stone is needed?

What is this double lined drip pan business?

Thanks for the input people...just trying to recognize the different pieces and the names.

Buddy all of you're questions were the exact questions that I asked Dennis lol.

The splitter basket is actually used in a kk to assist with two zone cooking. creating a hot and cold side.

Dennis has a video where he sticks a piece of paper on the grill and the hot size burns lines in the paper and the cold side doesn't.

I would say it's a must in my opinion

The baking stone is used for everything bread related and custom made to fit the grill. They are super thick and from what I can see are well built. Another must!!

Dual bottom drip from what I gather has a layer of steel a closed cavity and then the bottom of drip pan. This would allow for your juices not to burn as easily as there is an air gap to prevent direct heating of the juice bottom. I want it because it fits perfect and will catch all the ugly stuff that is known to cause creosote.

Bosch mentioned a splitter basket.  I assume that would be a firebox splitter basket and would be used similar to what the KJ Big Joe has, except I've used the KJ Big Joe splitter exactly once when looking to do some two zone cooking.

Do you guys use the splitter?

I have, but mainly in conjunction with using the rotisserie with chicken and duck. I’ll set up the basket splitter so that the heat is hitting the bird on one side. I’m not sure how necessary it is, but it’s gotten me great results so far. But yes, you can use a basket splitter for setting up two zone cooking like the D&C system on a KJ grill.

While I've gotten away from using constant temperature monitoring for the most part, it is nice that the KK has built in channels to allow to run the probes through.  Nice touch.  I'll still use a probe for the big cuts of meat (port, brisket), but for the every day stuff, nah.  I'm getting the approximate timing all figured out.  I assume the same will be said for when I cook on a KK....uh, IF I ever have the joy of cooking on a KK.

Pretty much. I’ve used a thermometer for bigger pieces of meat: pork butt, brisket, leg of lamb, prime rib roast, roasting whole birds. Ribs get the bend test.

The baking stone - I suppose that is used for pizza, bread, anything that you are looking to "bake", would that be correct?  So no individual pizza stone is needed?

Yup. By the way, the KK baking stone is to regular baking stones what a KK grill is to regular kamado grills.

What is this double lined drip pan business?

There’s a drip pan available that’s shaped to match the interior curves of a KK grill. The double lined part refers to the bottom of the drip pan having a double layer of stainless steel, with an air gap between them. This prevents drippings from scorching.

I assume the same will be said for when I cook on a KK....uh, IF I ever have the joy of cooking on a KK.

“IFâ€. Good one. I know you almost believe that when you say it. ^_^

Thank you both Bosco and Wilbur.

I can see where the drip pan could be very useful on the messy cooks.  I didn't find a great difference in using the splitter in the Big Joe.  Like I said, tried it once, then put it away.  It's probably as white as the day it arrived nearly a year ago.

Now my pizza stone and heat deflectors - they have some good use.

Thanks again.

Thank you both Bosco and Wilbur.

I can see where the drip pan could be very useful on the messy cooks. I didn't find a great difference in using the splitter in the Big Joe. Like I said, tried it once, then put it away. It's probably as white as the day it arrived nearly a year ago.

Now my pizza stone and heat deflectors - they have some good use.

Thanks again.

Redstick,

I use the basket splitter all the time. I use it for the reverse sear method often and also use if I just want an indirect cook. It saves me having to mess with a deflector.

I use the basket splitter too. Very useful gizmo that does the job efficiently. There are so many things that are superior in the Komodo that you need to own one to really see the difference. I read tons of info on the Komodo and it didn't really hit home until in was in front of me. You will never regret the purchase.

RedStick - I use the basket splitter on TheBeast, my 32, for both a roti and for true 2 zone cooking. It's not a must have but it certainly makes life easy. Further, the basket splitters are unlike any you've seen before. All the airflow coming into the KK is forced up thru the lump pile. Other splitters don't do this.

The baking stone is a must. You'll take one look at it and instantly realize what you've been missing.

As for the double bottom drip pan, I personally am ambivalent at this point. I'm not a real big gravy fan, so preserving those drippings aren't really a priority to me. As for dripping getting into your KK, TheBeast is large enough such that I really don't worry about drippings not hitting the drip pan(s) I use. Additionally, I keep my KKs and their components very clean with a high temp burn after greasy cooks.

Again, welcome! You're asking good questions.

Throwing in my 2 cents. Love the basket splitter with its own basket. makes swapping quick and easy. The splitter forces all the air through half the charcoal, so you can get to crazy hot temperature quickly without having to burn through a lot of charcoal. A must for searing steaks.

Also, load up the pallet with as much charcoal as you can. Cheapest shipping you will ever get.

Thank you all. The splitter seems to be very convenient as well as very suitable for various cooks. I'm certainly sold on the KK!

I'll need to save some extra $$$ to eventually order down the road. It will take some time, but I'll get it done when the time is right.

Again, thanks!

I understand what you are stating, CC. I'll pass on the financing as I don't generally finance anything unless it's zero percent for a certain term, or my house/car/etc.

Revolving lines, etc. can be dangerous, so I use one card, use it tremendously, but pay it off each month.

Saving up for and purchasing the KK instantly will be quite rewarding! It will take time, but that's the way it is, at least for me!