Gnomatic

Seeking Standing Rib Roast Advice

Alright, all those wonderful standing rib roast cooks for Christmas that were shared here inspired me.   I picked this up for New Years Day.

1231151058a.jpg

This is a 2 bone, 5.6lb roast.  I had the butcher slice the bones off and tie them back on to make it easy come slicing time.  However, I'm kind of regretting that now because I fear the strings will burn and break if I sear it.  I do not have the rotisserie, so this will most likely cooked on a roasting rack in a pan.

So, all you experts on here, do you have any advice to share?  I'm looking for things like -

- how long should I leave it out of the fridge before roasting?

- seasoning recommendations

- deflector/no deflector

- dome cooking temps

- going for medium rare, what should the IT be when I pull it to let it rest in a cooler for a given length of time

-is searing an option even if the bones are tied on?

Basically, if this were your roast, and a rotisserie was not an option, how would you prepare and cook it on your KK?

Thanks in advance for the tips and suggestions!

- deflector/no deflector

- dome cooking temps

- going for medium rare, what should the IT be when I pull it to let it rest in a cooler for a given length of time

Basically, if this were your roast, and a rotisserie was not an option, how would you prepare and cook it on your KK?

I’d do a reverse sear for this cook.

1 hour, although I would say that the hour wait time is mainly so the salt in your rub has a chance to penetrate the meat and work its magic. I salted my rib roast the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight.

After the salting step, I’d make a rub from black pepper, thyme, rosemary, cayenne, and minced garlic.

- deflector/no deflector

- dome cooking temps

200-225ºF, indirect to start

Stop the indirect cook at an IT of 120ºF. Take out the deflector, open up your vents, and sear until the outside gets to where you want it.

Yes. The string won’t burn that quickly.

• Like 1

Thanks Wilbur.    Did you let stand for any length of time, either after the low and slow, or after the sear?  Also, did you use the searing rack, or the main grate?  I assume you took the roast out of the roasting pan and put it directly on the main grate for this part.

I'm trying to get an idea how long the low and slow part will last to get the meat to 120F if I do a reverse sear.  Your link was great btw, awesome cook!

I let the prime rib stand while the grill was heating up to searing temperatures, but that was more for the grill than the prime rib. I used the searing rack for the searing part. We let the prime rib rest for a little while after the sear, but that was mainly while we got the table set and the kids settled.

The low and slow part for my cook was 6-1/2 hours. I think the prime rib was about 8 lbs. I was pushing the temp on the low and slow part at the end.

Did a nice 2 bone rib roast tonight for NYE dinner.

Was done 250F, indirect, with post oak, pecan and apple wood. Cooked to an IT of 120F, then reverse seared on the sear grate at 475F dome. Wrapped in foil, toweled, and into the cooler for a couple of hours (cooked faster than I had planned - was done in 2 1/2 hours).

See Cooking Pics thread for photos and details.

Well, my first crack at a standing rib roast was an unqualified success.  After slathering it with a paste of minced rosemary,thyme, garlic, Worcestershire, olive oi, salt and pepper, I cooked it indirect at 275F for several hours until the temp hit 122F, and tossed it in a cooler for another hour.  When I took the roast out of the cooler, I checked the temp with an instaread thermometer and it was sitting at 137F.  By then the searing great had replaced the heat deflector and the KK was holding at 500F.  Finished the roast off with a quick sear and then it was slicing time.

My pics leave a lot to be desired compared to the awesome shots that regularly get posted by many here.  My ravenous family descended upon the roast like a school of piranha so I did the best I could.

0101161910d.jpg

0101161912.jpg

It came out a real nice medium, all the way through.  I'm more of a medium rare guy, but this was perfect for the preferences of my group.  It was the most tender and juicy prime rib I've ever had.  The whole thing was devoured in no time.  Next time I'll get a three bone roast for this cook.  Luckily we had an ample amount of wonderful sides.  I really want to do another one of these again.

My brother in law, who has a BGE and loves it, helped me with this cook.  After giving him the game plan, he pretty much took the reigns of my KK from start up to shut down.  Unprovoked, I hear him comment "This thing is built like a Swiss watch" as he got a pretty good measure of what operating a KK is like.  Pretty good summary of my thoughts on this awesome cooker.

Thanks for the 'guide' Wilbur. Your tips were very helpful.

• Like 1

Your prime rib looks terrific! Great job!

As long as the food turns out good, I don’t sweat the difference between medium rare and medium too much any more. Meat cooked to medium still comes out more juicy on a KK grill than meat cooked to medium on other grills, kamado or not.

And maybe you can turn your brother in law onto the idea of getting a KK of his own, perhaps by inviting him over for food more often, and let him have some more up close and personal time with your grill. ^_^