ckreef

19" KK - No Stir Experiment

1 minute ago, tony b said:

Nice burgers, Charles, but Pah-leeze tell me you didn't follow the instructions and put an egg and breadcrumbs in those burgers!!! 

No definitely not - that would have been meatloaf not burgers. 

I've already ranted about that earlier in this thread or maybe another thread. What was McCormick Australia thinking when they added those directions?

On 11/5/2016 at 7:31 PM, Stile88 said:

The last cook number 20.

Meatloaf and another test of muffin pan potatoes. 

KKNS20a.jpg

KKNS20b.jpg

KKNS20c.jpg

The next night I looked inside and cleaned it out. I burned about 35 lbs of RO over the 20 cooks. I never Stired,  shook  or disturbed the lump during this time.  I only dumped straight from the bag on top of whatever lump was leftover from the night before.

The ash on the sides towards the front is about 3" deep. The ash in middle was all the way up to the lump basket. In the end air was coming in from the back side of the lump basket and over the last few cooks reaction time after a vent adjustment was slowing down.

Dug through what was left and pulled out the standard "Free rocks with every RO purchase"  - LOL. 

KKNSFa.jpg

KKNSFb.jpg

KKNSFc.jpg

There are 3 design features which makes this long no stir run possible with a Komodo Kamado:

1)  no gap between the firebox and outer shell so all air must go up through the lump basket. 

2) uses a lump basket which is really hard to clog up even with small lump pieces and leftover ash. 

3) has a fairly large ash collection area. 

In conclusion (for me) stirring between each cook is a waste of time and sort of messy. From here forward I will no stir and just dump straight from the bag. Cleaning it out about every 20 lbs. The only exception will be doing a long (over 8 hours) low-n-slow in which case I'll clean it out first. 

Hope everyone enjoyed this experiment - it was tasty and fun for the Bistro. 

• Like 2

On 11/5/2016 at 7:31 PM, Stile88 said:

The last cook number 20.

Meatloaf and another test of muffin pan potatoes. 

KKNS20a.jpg

KKNS20b.jpg

KKNS20c.jpg

The next night I looked inside and cleaned it out. I burned about 35 lbs of RO over the 20 cooks. I never Stired,  shook  or disturbed the lump during this time.  I only dumped straight from the bag on top of whatever lump was leftover from the night before.

The ash on the sides towards the front is about 3" deep. The ash in middle was all the way up to the lump basket. In the end air was coming in from the back side of the lump basket and over the last few cooks reaction time after a vent adjustment was slowing down.

Dug through what was left and pulled out the standard "Free rocks with every RO purchase"  - LOL. 

KKNSFa.jpg

KKNSFb.jpg

KKNSFc.jpg

There are 3 design features which makes this long no stir run possible with a Komodo Kamado:

1)  no gap between the firebox and outer shell so all air must go up through the lump basket. 

2) uses a lump basket which is really hard to clog up even with small lump pieces and leftover ash. 

3) has a fairly large ash collection area. 

In conclusion (for me) stirring between each cook is a waste of time and sort of messy. From here forward I will no stir and just dump straight from the bag. Cleaning it out about every 20 lbs. The only exception will be doing a long (over 8 hours) low-n-slow in which case I'll clean it out first. 

Hope everyone enjoyed this experiment - it was tasty and fun for the Bistro. 

I just saw this thread. Great stuff. I never stir. I can tell when my ash needs cleaning by how long the KK takes to get up to temperature.

I routinely get a few bags and a box or two of coco char between cleanings.

Your food always looks great!

• Like 1