tekobo

KK Bread Making Tips and Tricks

Yes. The float test is imprecise at best. Every starter has a rhythm to it. Being flat at 24 hours sounds right. It’s hungry! Out of food! Needs a spot of breakfast. Maybe even elevensies! My starter peaks at about 8 hours post feeding and then deflates. If I feed it fresh milled grains it goes crazy happy and peaks around 5-6 hours. At what point you use it depends on what you’re using it for. For waffles I use a “mature” starter that’s post peak — I just so happen to have a batter for fresh milled einkorn sourdough waffles sitting on my counter for tomorrow’s breakfast. For bread I use it around the peak...slightly young.

• Like 1

Reading the FAQs that @Pequod shared, I now have a name for my "problem".  I am moving from a stiff starter to a liquid starter and I may well not have got the liquid starter reliably rising and falling as it should.  I am away for a few days now but will get to it when I have a few consecutive days at home to allow me to refresh the starter daily. 

I have to fess up to yet another new toy.  I kind of backed into this one.  A friend brought me a gift of some koji condiments over New Year's.  They are made by a couple of Japanese women in London who turn up to market once a week with limited stock and shut up shop when it is all sold.  My friend had to go early and lie in wait to get me some.  Very very delicious.  I don't live in London and don't have time to lie in wait so instead bought the Noma guide to fermentation.  The conditions for making koji are very precise and I was struggling to figure out how I would get the right heat and humidity combination.  I finally came across a post that recommended using an egg incubator or a bread proofer.  Duh!  A bread proofer was so obvious and so useful.  Before now I had been running up and down stairs to the only room that had the right temperature for proofing in the winter.  Now I can use the proofer for bread and, when I get to it, as a koji making chamber for the 48 hours that it takes. 

For once this was not a KK shopping channel purchase but good to have validation that both @Pequod and @MacKenzie have one of these.  I got the extra rack so I could fit two proving baskets in there, one above the other.

E52B00E1-B347-4275-927E-DCF37CEB22E0.thumb.jpeg.99ce84c1f75403e9f9ed0c082c3e2e90.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pequod said:

Yep, the Brod & Taylor proofing box and even a grain mill... Over. The. Edge.  Down. The. Rabbit. Hole.

Let me help you with another purchase: https://www.challengerbreadware.com/shop/challenger/challenger-bread-pan/

Happily, I think I may be able to resist this one.  At least until you give me your killer argument for having one.  I do already have a dutch oven that works fine for round indoor bakes.  

36 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Happily, I think I may be able to resist this one.  At least until you give me your killer argument for having one.  I do already have a dutch oven that works fine for round indoor bakes.  

Uh huh. I’ll just leave this here for future reference. 😜

In truth, I think the biggest advantage is that it accommodates a variety of shapes — boules, batards, demi-baguettes. But I find myself returning to my oblong clay baker because I prefer that shape the most due to uniformity of slices. The Challenger pan makes pretty loaves, my oblong clay baker is for practical loaves.