tekobo

KK Bread Making Tips and Tricks

4 minutes ago, tony b said:

That's all we need right now, is some gun-toting idiot to go crazy in the Walmart over a roll of TP!

It amazes me how these gun-toting idiots can't identify their true enemies. As far as I can tell, they actually vote for their true enemies.

If they ever figured that out, at least we'd come out of this crisis with better gun control.

• Like 4

No guns here.  Although my old dad just told me about the gun his American friend gave him when he visited him in Nigeria recently.  Dad thinks I should be reassured by the fact that he practised on a firing range with a family friend.  I reminded him that was over 55 years ago.  Hmmm.

What I have done is disobeyed @Pequod's advice about not chasing high hydration in my doughs.  Step away from the water he said.  Learn to handle your dough better.  Well, I had this 60% kamut dough and the Tartine folk said that they push the hydration over 90%. So....I held my breath and dove in.  

IMG_7154.thumb.jpeg.6fe70dfa2eebc4723d047455fca923a3.jpeg

IMG_7156D.thumb.jpeg.914f5036b27671bdb9eeee61370e29a0.jpeg

• Like 6

Outstanding Tekobo.
Here’s my latest flop from yesterday.
It was tasty and has already been devoured by family. Just lacked that nice spring. Maybe too much rye and only 70% hydrated. Linseeds were good- added a nice toasty flavour.
40b24e371bf4e86f2936be49b1f16ebe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Syzygies said:

You are my hero! 60% kamut, 90% hydration? Wow. That's unexplored territory for me.

Jump in, the water's great!

17 hours ago, Basher said:

Here’s my latest flop from yesterday.
It was tasty and has already been devoured by family. Just lacked that nice spring. Maybe too much rye and only 70% hydrated. Linseeds were good- added a nice toasty flavour.

Seeded breads are great and yours looks better than many of my attempts.   I am about to try a sprouted rye with a whole bunch of seeds in.  Hoping it works out better than my last attempt at a heavy rye bread - it was inedible.  

• Like 2

I just stopped work for a little while and stood at my kitchen counter to eat something that sounds disgusting but was delicious.  A slice of seeded rye with marmalade and a tinned sardine on top.  Great combo.

1 hour ago, Syzygies said:

How did you sprout the rye?

I used this combination of clear plastic container and sieve.  Soaked the grain for 6 hours to start with, drained and then rehydrated for a minute or so twice a day, drained and tipped the drained grain into the plastic container. Left container on kitchen counter.  Did this for three days and then made the bread.  The maths was fun.  Weight of dry grain was said to increase by 65% so I stood in kitchen trying to figure out what to ask Alexa to calculate.  End weight divided by 1.65 was my solution and, on that basis, there wasn't much wasted at the end.  I couldn't quite bring myself to use the remaining sprouted rye in salad, smelled just a little too funky for me

3028F096-4D46-4584-9AAE-CDEFD4DA74FF.thumb.jpeg.af1c1beb2068678fadf7800fb3e09f72.jpeg

My last loaf was also in a loaf pan. It felt like a crisis of principles, but it was in fact liberating to not have to restrict myself to doughs that can support themselves.

Funny.  I felt grown up, branching out from making standard boules to using a loaf "tin" instead. The silicone form couldn't quite cope with the bulk and bulged out at the side a little.  I am planning on my next loaf, using buckwheat.  The recipes are from the Tartine No 3 book and the rye loaf is called Rene's rye.   

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 2

When I recently went to my bread pan, I thought I was cheating. LOL

I switched because I wanted the bread to fit in the toaster better and since I've had this hiding in my cupboard I decided I might just as well use it. It is an Emile Henry ceramic pan and they are making an Italian model and others.

480569603_breadloafmaker(1).thumb.jpg.323d8a64c33e47526028da87d63b20a3.jpg

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 2

Bread Loaf Baker

Well, if it's European that makes it ok.

:grin:

They claim the lid keeps the steam in but what I don't get is why the two holes, plus there is a matching pair in the bottom????

All I know is that it works great for my 15% WW loaf. I do get an oven rise and have come close but have never hit the lid.

40 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

They claim the lid keeps the steam in but what I don't get is why the two holes, plus there is a matching pair in the bottom????

All I know is that it works great for my 15% WW loaf. I do get an oven rise and have come close but have never hit the lid.

Speaking as a recovering fluid dynamicist -- and I don't want to get overly technical, but -- holes are really lousy at holding steam in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3