RokDok

Good Evening from Sydling St Nicholas UK

@RokDok I only ever had the spit.  It is very versatile and can be used with OctoForks.  For my 32 I have ordered both the spit and the cradle.  As @Braai-Q said, it is expensive to get such things shipped to the UK individually if you change your mind at a later date.  Ask me in a year's time how much use I get out of each!

A couple of things to note.    It can be challenging to figure out how to set up the roti and you need to cut a piece that Dennis sends you to fit the gap between the motor that you choose and the KK.  There are threads elsewhere on the forum illustrating roti set up.  I didn't use my roti as much as I might because I found it really difficult fiddling with the sprung screws that connect the hanger that the motor sits in to the bracket on the side of the KK.  That is, until I found that I was doing it all wrong and didn't need to take the hanger off each time but instead just need to leave the hanger attached to the bracket and use the play between the two to slide the motor on and then tighten the wing nuts.  This video on the KK website will help you get over that hurdle, although I doubt that you are as mechanically challenged as I sometimes am.  

• Like 1

Tekobo,

Thank you,

Yes, it's an important point about the expense of shipping things individually at a later date, but I'm struggling to think of an occasion when I would cook something which couldn't be fitted on the forks. The cradle is a lovely design, but I think I am struggling to justify getting both.

I am not normally this sensible in my decision making when it comes to things like this - I have previous form - and I may find that in a day or two passion overrides logic.

I did have a panic last night that I might not be able to get the oven into the back garden I had visions of some how trying to crane it over the wall from the pub carpark, so was up just after dawn in my dressing gown, tape measure in hand. I have just over an inch to spare at a bit over 37 inches. The gap between the yew hedge at the front is a bit narrow so will need a bit of slash and burn without the burn.

I count myself lucky that I have experience with horticultural hurdles when it comes to outdoor cooking.

I was kind of hoping that I could just rock up at Southampton Docks with a tail lift van and a pallet truck with Mrs RD (she does pilates and yoga and is quite strong) and pick up our KK, but I'm not sure it'll be that simple ........

Best

RD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, tekobo said:

@RokDok I only ever had the spit.  It is very versatile and can be used with OctoForks.  For my 32 I have ordered both the spit and the cradle.  As @Braai-Q said, it is expensive to get such things shipped to the UK individually if you change your mind at a later date.  Ask me in a year's time how much use I get out of each!

A couple of things to note.    It can be challenging to figure out how to set up the roti and you need to cut a piece that Dennis sends you to fit the gap between the motor that you choose and the KK.  There are threads elsewhere on the forum illustrating roti set up.  I didn't use my roti as much as I might because I found it really difficult fiddling with the sprung screws that connect the hanger that the motor sits in to the bracket on the side of the KK.  That is, until I found that I was doing it all wrong and didn't need to take the hanger off each time but instead just need to leave the hanger attached to the bracket and use the play between the two to slide the motor on and then tighten the wing nuts.  This video on the KK website will help you get over that hurdle, although I doubt that you are as mechanically challenged as I sometimes am.  

Ah @tekobo a 32” is on order 😆 Good for you ....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RokDok said:

Tekobo,

Thank you,

Yes, it's an important point about the expense of shipping things individually at a later date, but I'm struggling to think of an occasion when I would cook something which couldn't be fitted on the forks. The cradle is a lovely design, but I think I am struggling to justify getting both.

I am not normally this sensible in my decision making when it comes to things like this - I have previous form - and I may find that in a day or two passion overrides logic.

I did have a panic last night that I might not be able to get the oven into the back garden I had visions of some how trying to crane it over the wall from the pub carpark, so was up just after dawn in my dressing gown, tape measure in hand. I have just over an inch to spare at a bit over 37 inches. The gap between the yew hedge at the front is a bit narrow so will need a bit of slash and burn without the burn.

I count myself lucky that I have experience with horticultural hurdles when it comes to outdoor cooking.

I was kind of hoping that I could just rock up at Southampton Docks with a tail lift van and a pallet truck with Mrs RD (she does pilates and yoga and is quite strong) and pick up our KK, but I'm not sure it'll be that simple ........

Best

RD

If I may offer a suggestion. If you have a carpark next to you, hire a telehandler @RokDok. I've included a link below if you don't know what I mean. I know they are referred to by different names but they're a forklift on steroids effectively and offer a huge range of extension. A 32KK despite its mass is light work for a telehandler. For a day's hire of £100, I reckon you could negotiate with a hire company locally to do it for half day rate and have the delivery operative lift it over for you as they'll know the equipment. Farmers all have them too so if you have a farm nearby, could be another option. Not worth the risk of damage or putting your back out.

http://www.dialadigger.co.uk/telehandler.html

I have both cradle and forks - they serve different purposes. If you're doing multiple smaller birds, the cradle makes sense as it does for rolled shoulders of lamb and things like that where the mass is uneven or you want to apply different rubs/sauces.

I'm a bit of a convert to the cradle - if you use Weber and have the rotisserie, having a square drive shaft and the two forks, it really doesn't work as well as the hex drive shaft and frame that Dennis provides. Much smoother. There is a long thread on the merits of it which might help with the decision.

• Like 3

On 9/25/2020 at 3:34 PM, RokDok said:

Logic is good too.  One thing to remember is that you are going to need a reasonable amount of space to store all the grates and equipment that comes with your 32.  You've picked a pizza stone.  I didn't.  Partly because I am not that good at making pizza but also because I already have two pizza steels and they are lighter to shift, heat up quicker, provide a nice leopard pattern finish to the crust and are more versatile - can use them for smashed burgers and bread and...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Logic is good too.  One thing to remember is that you are going to need a reasonable amount of space to store all the grates and equipment that comes with your 32.  You've picked a pizza stone.  I didn't.  Partly because I am not that good at making pizza but also because I already have two pizza steels and they are lighter to shift, heat up quicker, provide a nice leopard pattern finish to the crust and are more versatile - can use them for smashed burgers and bread and...

@tekobomakes a good point on the storage of extras. The number of steel grills and their gauge/weight does add up. I have commercial racks in the garage and have added a few extra shelves to give each item a shelf. The items don't stack very well. This may be OCD but it saves me the hassle of unpacking each shelf to get what I need which is always going to be at the bottom.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, tekobo said:

Oooh Ron.  Does that mean you've ordered a 32?  What colour? Pebble, tile?

Sorry @tekobo I thought you were talking about a 32" purchase. I am still in a "discussion" phase as to will this be a toy that I lose interest in. To be fair I built a pizza oven and rarely use it as it is such a phaff to get going and my wife can see it in the garden :-)

@tony b Thanks, I'd forgotten that, I will do. Keen to experiment with the coffee wood. I haven't done much smoking - looking forward to it. Was thinking of you when I cracked the first bottle of Munich Malt and Sauvin / Hallertauer last night - nicely biscuity and not a million miles away from Munich Helles.I wondered what you might be drinking.

@Braai-Q - That is a good idea - although I would then have to get it across the lawn - at least the path around the house is tarmac / stone / brick - although I would still probably use the leapfrog plywood method. I can drum up plenty of labour - I have plenty of beer in the garage. I'll try that first , although I have a couple of farmer friends in the village and I know at least one has got one as a fall back.

Forks =/- cradle - as @tekobo and you say storage of extras is a point to consider - I think they'd probably have to go down the "summer house". It's a rustic space - the irons and peels for the WFO are kept there. I've never used a spit before - I have gone for the heavy duty motor as it is waterproof.

I do bone and roll quite a bit though - the jury is still out - but I said that about the tables.....

@Ron Hixon I built a WFO too, a lot of joy in the building and we use it about 4-5 times a year. I enjoy the lighting bit - sit looking at the fire with a beer or two - you can use pallet - these days it is heat treated the pallet stamp tells you that, origin etc. 

Do you use your barbecue much ? I cook as often as I can, but when the weather gets cold and drizzly that won't be possible - but you can still use a KK- that was my initial rationale for considering a kamado, but I now see it opens up a huge vista of cooking opportunity.

As for "discussion" I found that after looking at some new sofas Mrs RD was in total agreement about the foolhardiness of not getting a KK.

Best

RD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haven't brewed anything new since April because of the lockdowns and all the cancelled Festivals. I try to drink local as much as I can otherwise. In the fridge right now is an "New Zealand Pilsner," (Green Dragon) made with Moteuka hops from Lion Bridge here in town. 

btw - I live in Iowa and we have some nasty winters here, but I still use the KK year round. My only concessions to the weather are windchills in the negative numbers (i.e., below zero F) and pouring rains (drizzles are OK, just not a full on downpour!) So, be thinking year round use of your new KK. 

• Like 3

On 9/27/2020 at 10:47 AM, RokDok said:

@tony b Thanks, I'd forgotten that, I will do. Keen to experiment with the coffee wood. I haven't done much smoking - looking forward to it.

I meant to respond to @tony b's load up with char comment.  We have the same problem in the UK as you had in the US.  Dennis needs to ship a whole container of char in one go and has to pass all sorts of requirements to get the load onto a ship.  I am hoping that we will one day have the critical mass in the UK to make it worth Dennis' while to go to the hassle of shipping a whole container of char to us.  

Having said that, we are able to source coconut briquettes in the UK and I find they work really well in KKs.   I too am interested in Dennis' legendary coffee char that seems to get everyone weak in the knees.

On 9/27/2020 at 9:24 AM, Ron Hixon said:

Sorry @tekobo I thought you were talking about a 32" purchase. I am still in a "discussion" phase as to will this be a toy that I lose interest in. To be fair I built a pizza oven and rarely use it as it is such a phaff to get going and my wife can see it in the garden :-)

I feel your pain Ron.  (Sorry, I keep wanting to say doRonRonRon Ron).  You cannot predict how much or how little you will end up wanting to use your KK.  For my part I can confirm that the ease of lighting and use and the sheer versatility made my KKs my go-to choice for cooking meat in the winter and the summer.  They were superb this summer, allowing me to cook for friends in the great outdoors while we socially distanced to avoid catching the lurgy that shall be named.  YMMV.  Maybe your wife will want to cook on your KK too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2020 at 10:47 AM, RokDok said:

- That is a good idea - although I would then have to get it across the lawn - at least the path around the house is tarmac / stone / brick - although I would still probably use the leapfrog plywood method. I can drum up plenty of labour - I have plenty of beer in the garage. I'll try that first , although I have a couple of farmer friends in the village and I know at least one has got one as a fall back.

The leapfrog plywood method is a good one but having used a telehandler myself which put the crate in exactly the right spot, I just had to wheel it 2 metres and it was in place. I think I exerted more effort taking the wheelie bin out that week. It would be remiss of me not to share the experience which compensated for the utter ball ache which was getting the 19KK through the house in London. 😀

Do you use your barbecue much ? I cook as often as I can, but when the weather gets cold and drizzly that won't be possible - but you can still use a KK- that was my initial rationale for considering a kamado, but I now see it opens up a huge vista of cooking opportunity.

You don't cook when it's cold and drizzly? You gotta fix that. In the UK, that only gives you about 2 months. To be honest, grilling in the rain isn't a huge amount of fun unless someone has you covered with an umbrella but doing a low and slow brisket or some ribs in all weathers is part of the KK magic. I did a cook on the weekend - a brisket and some ribs, once I had the KK at temperature (just over 100), it stayed like that for 30 hours. 

IMG_4582.JPG

Edited by Braai-Q
  • Like 1

You don't cook when it's cold and drizzly? You gotta fix that.

@Braai-Q It's not that I'm a softie, it's just that with wind and rain I think it would be difficult to keep a kettle weber up to temperature. I am though , as you intimate thinking about something to keep the rain off when cooking in the KK. 

To be honest, grilling in the rain isn't a huge amount of fun unless someone has you covered with an umbrella

Umbrella is a good starting point for me. Mrs RD must know some catatonic yoga position where she could hold it. Thirty hour slow cook could be pushing it though.

@tekobo Your comment previously about the pizza stone has got me thinking- seems like they do take quite a while to get to temperature and the cook time is about 15 minutes or so. @Braai-Q also questioned whether I would need one bearing in mind I've got a WFO. I think I might go the steel route.

Tekebo - which silicon seal was it that needed replacing ? I think I should possible order a spare ?

BQ - Telehandler - point taken I'll check out further, but might leave it a while : I made tentative enquiries yesterday about "Funky Cow" whilst posting an eBay parcel off ( the farmhouse doubles as the post office ) . Suffice to say Mrs Farmer was not impressed. All the cows have names and Mr Farmer knows them all by the shape of their legs and udders. The thought that across the road I could be tucking into Daisy or Doreen did not appeal.

I haven't heard back from Dennis for six days - I guess he knows that people chop and change their order.

11 hours ago, tekobo said:

I meant to respond to @tony b's load up with char comment.  We have the same problem in the UK as you had in the US.  Dennis needs to ship a whole container of char in one go and has to pass all sorts of requirements to get the load onto a ship.  I am hoping that we will one day have the critical mass in the UK to make it worth Dennis' while to go to the hassle of shipping a whole container of char to us.  

Having said that, we are able to source coconut briquettes in the UK and I find they work really well in KKs.   I too am interested in Dennis' legendary coffee char that seems to get everyone weak in the knees.

I feel your pain Ron.  (Sorry, I keep wanting to say doRonRonRon Ron).  You cannot predict how much or how little you will end up wanting to use your KK.  For my part I can confirm that the ease of lighting and use and the sheer versatility made my KKs my go-to choice for cooking meat in the winter and the summer.  They were superb this summer, allowing me to cook for friends in the great outdoors while we socially distanced to avoid catching the lurgy that shall be named.  YMMV.  Maybe your wife will want to cook on your KK too?

Our mutual friend Debi used to call me Bill, because as the song says:

Met him on a Monday and my heart stood still
Da doo ron ron ron
Da doo ron ron
Somebody told me that his name was Bill
Da doo ron ron ron
Da doo ron ron

• Haha 4