RokDok

Good Evening from Sydling St Nicholas UK

44 minutes ago, tekobo said:

I am really looking forward to trying out the small 16 and seeing whether it fulfils the promise of allowing me to light up and quickly grill for one or a light meal for two.

@tekobo you'll have no problem with the 16 KK. I get home from work and start a chimney of lump and within a half hour I have a 300° grill. Just enough time to season or prep the meal. And if for some unknown reason it takes 35 - 40 minutes just grab a nice adult beverage and watch the temp probe climb. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Braai-Q said:

You see, this is where it starts with @tekobo. I'm sure she is a secret sales agent employed by Dennis! 😄

Ha! Some sales agent.  I can confirm that paying for five KKs from Dennis empties your wallet but does give you lots of pleasure.  As does helping others to make the right decision for them.  Pushing the boundaries always helps with the "see, I only got three and didn't get that awful colour you didn't like" argument.   

34 minutes ago, Braai-Q said:

@tekobo in all seriousness, do you think the 16" is sufficiently portable to take on to the beach? 

At 100kg the 16 is not likely to be a beach accessory but I am hoping to take it on stay-cation in the UK.  I hate using rubbish bbqs at holiday homes.  

Just now, Paul said:

@tekobo you'll have no problem with the 16 KK. I get home from work and start a chimney of lump and within a half hour I have a 300° grill. Just enough time to season or prep the meal. And if for some unknown reason it takes 35 - 40 minutes just grab a nice adult beverage and watch the temp probe climb. 

Yay! I can't wait.  In fact, might start practising with a drink tonight.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, tekobo said:

Ha! Some sales agent.  I can confirm that paying for five KKs from Dennis empties your wallet but does give you lots of pleasure.  As does helping others to make the right decision for them.  Pushing the boundaries always helps with the "see, I only got three and didn't get that awful colour you didn't like" argument.   

At 100kg the 16 is not likely to be a beach accessory but I am hoping to take it on stay-cation in the UK.  I hate using rubbish bbqs at holiday homes.  

Yeah, I checked the weights after posting that question because it looked so diddy and it gave me an idea. But then I saw 100kg and reached the same conclusion. Even on the right trolley, towing that over sand. I guess I'll have to stick with my Cadac Safari for beach breakfasts which is 95kg lighter!! Agree on the rubbish BBQs at holiday homes.

• Like 2

Tekobo - The decision definitely is 32 " now - hope you get your new sofa by Xmas - I would offer you our old ones if not , but I suspect that, at current decision making velocity we may not have chosen a fabric by then.

Can't stretch to a second oven - not for the moment at least, looks like your 16 " will be just the ticket - and as Paul says you'll be getting lots of practice with adult beverages. Just the thought is making me thirsty -  and I haven't had breakfast yet.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your pizza oven order - I guess you'll get them in colours to match the KKs ??🤫

Braai-Q - That is great information - definitely, definitely the 32 ". I hadn't thought about the double drip tray - it will be great to be able to make gravy too. I will get the pizza stone - I don't think my oven is practical to use when it's cold although to be honest I haven't tried in the winter.

Absolutely makes sense for you to have something mobile to chase the sun - you will have a lovely set up.

Tony B - nice to meet another home brewer. I brew a fair range of beer, I've done Bitters ,Mild, Munich Helles, Belgian Trippel, Pilsner (if the weather is cold), Weissbier, Dusseldorf Altbier etc. Recently I haven't been following recipes and I quite like using American / NZ hops in Pale Ales. Brew in the garage with a few friends in the village - it's a full day - they take beer home to ferment and bottle. The star of the show is Stout. We have a culvert running through the garden- fed from a spring a couple of miles away. I pump the water from the culvert to brew with. It flows through the chalk valley so is perfect for Stout. 

Colour has been chosen, by Mrs RD. I will get  accessories as you suggest BQ. Jury is out though on the tables, it's quite a bit extra to spend . Money transferred from the savings account into the current (checking) last night. 

Cheers,

RD

• Like 7

7 hours ago, RokDok said:

I'm looking forward to hearing about your pizza oven order - I guess you'll get them in colours to match the KKs ??🤫

I see what you are doing there.  Giving me a taste of my own medicine, luring me into thinking I really must buy one.  No, no pizza oven here.  Famous last words.

Money transferred from the savings account into the current (checking) last night. 

The best feeling, eh?  I have seen photos of my KKs and just transferred the money today.  Next they get on the boat and start their journey ....to me!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tony B - nice to meet another home brewer. I brew a fair range of beer, I've done Bitters ,Mild, Munich Helles, Belgian Trippel, Pilsner (if the weather is cold), Weissbier, Dusseldorf Altbier etc. Recently I haven't been following recipes and I quite like using American / NZ hops in Pale Ales. Brew in the garage with a few friends in the village - it's a full day - they take beer home to ferment and bottle. The star of the show is Stout. We have a culvert running through the garden- fed from a spring a couple of miles away. I pump the water from the culvert to brew with. It flows through the chalk valley so is perfect for Stout. 

Pretty cool to have a special water source like that. I've been brewing over 25 years, so I've just about done it all, including meads and ciders. Don't have a particular favorite, but if you look at my brew log over the last decade, you'll see a few batches of Baltic Porter, my winter beer. COVID has put a damper on my brewing this summer - with all the Festivals being cancelled, I'm only brewing for myself. Have a few hops I want to experiment with, so maybe some pale ales/IPAs are in the works? I struggle with the super big IPAs, as I am not set up for oxygen-less transfers, so it's hard to pull those off. :drinkers:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tekobo said:

I see what you are doing there.  Giving me a taste of my own medicine, luring me into thinking I really must buy one.  No, no pizza oven here.  Famous last words.

The best feeling, eh?  I have seen photos of my KKs and just transferred the money today.  Next they get on the boat and start their journey ....to me!!!

I know @tekobo you are keeping it to yourself what your choices x3 are but when do you think that they will arrive in the UK?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ron Hixon said:

I know @tekobo you are keeping it to yourself what your choices x3 are but when do you think that they will arrive in the UK?

Hi Ron, hopefully before Christmas.  Predicting the arrival of your KK can be hugely stressful and the variables are many.  First hurdle is to get on the boat in Indonesia?  Then  I think there is a changeover in Singapore that will take its own time. Then they need to make the sea crossing.  Clearing customs in the UK should be relatively quick but last time there was a Christmas backlog that meant the delivery date had to be moved.  Naa.  I am not going to get into the predicting game.  I am hoping it will be here in November but anytime before 25 December is good with me.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, tekobo said:

Hi Ron, hopefully before Christmas.  Predicting the arrival of your KK can be hugely stressful and the variables are many.  First hurdle is to get on the boat in Indonesia?  Then  I think there is a changeover in Singapore that will take its own time. Then they need to make the sea crossing.  Clearing customs in the UK should be relatively quick but last time there was a Christmas backlog that meant the delivery date had to be moved.  Naa.  I am not going to get into the predicting game.  I am hoping it will be here in November but anytime before 25 December is good with me.

I'd like to see Santa trying to get a 32KK into a Christmas stocking. 🎅

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 9/23/2020 at 5:24 PM, tony b said:

Have a few hops I want to experiment with, so maybe some pale ales/IPAs are in the works? I struggle with the super big IPAs, as I am not set up for oxygen-less transfers, so it's hard to pull those off. :drinkers:

Tony B - You've a lot more experience than me ! 

I've been brewing for six or seven years. I don't know what an oxygen-less transfer is, presumably you use a hop rocket or similar for the APAs ? 

Brewing is, I think very similar to cooking - there is some science but but it's an art really. - you have a hunch for what is going to taste good.

5 hours ago, Braai-Q said:

I'd like to see Santa trying to get a 32KK into a Christmas stocking. 🎅

Rudolph would work up a bit of a sweat. I guess it would save on delivery charges.

Tekebo - Would you want your Xmas wrapping paper for the KKs to be all the same or different patterns & colours ? Would they all require different amounts of wrapping paper ? Just wondering.

Those pizza ovens are really, really nice Braai-Q.

Slight delay with our 32" order  - Mrs RD's choice of colour is a problem.....

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, RokDok said:

I don't know what an oxygen-less transfer is, presumably you use a hop rocket or similar for the APAs ? 

Some of the folks in my homebrew club have fermenters than can be pressurized, which allows them to hook up their CO2 supplies and force transfer their beers to kegs without opening them up to the air (oxygen), similar to how a commercial brewery does it. I'm old school and have to syphon transfer my beers in the open. There are some tricks to help minimize the oxygen exposure, but there's always some. In a big IPA, with a lot of dry-hopping, even small amounts of oxygen can have an influence on the final beer. Just something you have to live with - or spend more $$ on upgraded equipment (homebrewing is a lot like BBQing - LOL!!) :occasion5: