Boom Boom

First real cook on my bb32

So I am doing a brisket overnight on my new 32. I attached the cold smoker to get some additional smoke in there and to see how well it works. I’m still trying to get my settings figured out but so far it is starting to hold completely steady. I’m also using the Cocochar for the first time as well. 

D3C69036-BC53-4E8C-AD37-A969793B7F46.jpeg

BCE82BAD-5C25-4CD3-A28F-8D6FF9CAFECB.jpeg

10937772-E431-4E91-B343-0E5626CB5673.jpeg

DBB3C5C5-CCAB-4CDB-9A7E-A5310656F3C9.jpeg

• Like 7

22 hours ago, tony b said:

Off to a good start. 

Are you using Aaron Franklin's method for brisket (pink butcher paper wrap post-stall?)

What flavor of wood are you using in the smoker?

I used coffee wood from Dennis. 
the cook was started late at night and since it is a new grill I don’t have my vents dialed in yet. I was shooting for 225 but it kept up to 267 in the late night hours. Once I got up It was past the stall. I did wrap it for the last 15 degrees. This brisket went less than 12 hours when I was shooting for 16 - 18 hours. I let it rest in a cooler for a long time like 6 hours. Bottom line, flat was over cooked with no moisture left in it at all. I will be chopping that up for chili. The rest of the brisket had more moisture and overall the flavor was excellent. 
I used cocochar for this cook as well and I am blown away by it. I probably put 24 pieces on top of a little lump. By the end of the cook there were 10 pieces that never even ignited so I took them out let them sit on a metal table to make sure there was no embers on them. I ended up putting them in a bag and added a few more to the bag and gave them to my neighbor for him to try. I am really impressed with this charcoal. 

overall I’m really impressed with the kk. There is a lot of moisture that is retained during the cook. Once I get the vents right I can see where this thing is going to be amazing. 

6516DC34-1E32-4EFC-A351-2FE278EB2701.jpeg

1A37FA7D-A59D-4A47-B66C-DE60255E43BC.jpeg

• Like 6

If I may ask, what grade of beef was it? That could have been a factor in the flat being a bit dry. You really shouldn't have had any issue with the temps going up to the 265F range. A few of us here have done the "hot & fast" method at 325F, with very good results. And on the bright side, that's probably going to be some damn good chili!

16 minutes ago, tony b said:

If I may ask, what grade of beef was it? That could have been a factor in the flat being a bit dry. You really shouldn't have had any issue with the temps going up to the 265F range. A few of us here have done the "hot & fast" method at 325F, with very good results. And on the bright side, that's probably going to be some damn good chili!

It was angus from Sam's club which is a middle of the road cut. They didn't have a very big selection of briskets but I wanted to cook one and there was going to be no stopping me from doing that. I won't be in town this weekend so I wanted to get a couple of cooks in before we leave for the weekend. My neighbor said that I shouldn't worry about my KK being lonely as he will be using it while I'm away. Lol

I too have done some fast cooks on briskets and they have turned out well. I would have done that if I had started early in the morning but this was started at about 10pm. 

This is all a learning experience and I find it fascinating.

13 hours ago, Boom Boom said:

I probably put 24 pieces on top of a little lump. By the end of the cook there were 10 pieces that never even ignited so I took them out let them sit on a metal table to make sure there was no embers on them. I ended up putting them in a bag and added a few more to the bag and gave them to my neighbor for him to try. I am really impressed with this charcoal.

This part of your post interested me.  The thing I like best about KKs is that they use so little fuel.  OK, of course that is not what I like best - the way it cooks and the aesthetics rank higher but the third best thing about KKs is their efficiency.  When I start a cook I fill the basket to the brim and light the coals/briquettes.  Usually just in one location but if I want a very hot fire then I might light three locations.  In two years of owning my KKs I only ever finished a full fire basket of cocoshell briquettes five times.  There was always unburned fuel left over.  When my cooks are done I close off the bottom holes and the top damper and rest easy, knowing that the air tightness of the KK will mean that the fire will go out and the remaining coal is available for use for my next cook.  I don't want you to miss out on this great benefit.

• Like 3

This part of your post interested me.  The thing I like best about KKs is that they use so little fuel.  OK, of course that is not what I like best - the way it cooks and the aesthetics rank higher but the third best thing about KKs is their efficiency.  When I start a cook I fill the basket to the brim and light the coals/briquettes.  Usually just in one location but if I want a very hot fire then I might light three locations.  In two years of owning my KKs I only ever finished a full fire basket of cocoshell briquettes five times.  There was always unburned fuel left over.  When my cooks are done I close off the bottom holes and the top damper and rest easy, knowing that the air tightness of the KK will mean that the fire will go out and the remaining coal is available for use for my next cook.  I don't want you to miss out on this great benefit.
@tekobo. I love to re-use charcoal! I have never understood the thought process of burning up what charcoal is left over after a cook. I learned to save the fuel from my Dad on his Weber using Kingsford Briquettes. With the cost of lump or specialty charcoal I like to use all of it that I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4