Troble

A Source of Cooking Inspiration

So shutdowns have commenced in San Diego this week. No more outdoor dining, take out only. The nicest steak restaurant in the City is selling these butcher packs to clear generate revenue so I ordered this bad boy to pick up next Friday 

A71DFC71-162B-4C29-8163-C2A534F260AC.png

Edited by Troble
  • Like 5

@tekobo I was catching up on your funky old cow thread and are your pics of your books it made me chuckle. This is my countertop this morning. My mission is to research done creative dishes particularly side dishes to go with my upcoming butcher box 

I told my wife it’s gonna be 5 days of great food and I’m gonna try some new things 🤞

7CFD3357-053B-43FD-942E-595BBF191BAE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nice, nice, very nice. Reminds me in a way of Palm Deserts outlying areas, but with more vegetation. I would venture to guess if our UK friends visited this area Troble,.. they might not want to return. The weather being hot and dry does have an alluring appeal once there.

• Like 2

Geez, clicked on my icon post at the bottom of page 1 not realizing it was a four page continuation. The comment of course goes to the last page and I'm scratchin my head saying WT hell . So if your wondering Troble this comment belongs on the first page, very bottom. The bottom of these pages will get ya every time , like a landmine, send you packin to the end of the line.  So if your not paying attention, the page your on allows your comment at the very bottom, but sends it to the last page. Very tricky indeed.  Done.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, tony b said:

Good luck with the Sean Brock book. Seems like every recipe has at least 2 ingredients that you have to special order. One of the reasons that I wasn't a fan of his first book, Heritage - a PITA to source ingredients, and I'm a HUGE fan of Anson Mills grits and rice. 

I bought Sean Brock's South book first and found it very accessible.  Practically of our Christmas dinner will be cooked using that book.

I then bought Heritage and struggled to get into it because it was full of "fancy" recipes.  I think that may be because Heritage was his first book and he was establishing himself.  South seems more confident and less up itself.  That said, I did found a couple of pages in Heritage that I liked very much. Simple veg preparations - carrots cooked in carrot juice (we've cooked it using shop bought carrot batons and juice and it was a revelation and so I imagine it will be great with heritage carrots and home squeezed juice), confit potatoes (to help preserve a large harvest of potatoes) and eggplant barigoule (yet to try it but it sounds really good).  So I think I will get into Heritage by chipping away at bits of it.  

We don't have grits and the special beans and rice that Sean Brock recommends and so I cracked and placed an order with Anson Mills.  Package should be arriving in the next day or so.  I hope they live up to Tony's billing!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@tekobo after going through all 3 books yesterday I found that I liked the most recipes from Francis Malmans book, then Lennox Hastie and Sean Brocks 3rd, however this morning I forgot I had a great southern book Jubilee that I hadn’t gotten into and I spent time diving into that book. It has by far the most recipes I’ll be trying out in the future. If you haven’t heard of it I would recommend checking it out 

C59881B9-9548-4831-9DEB-783599C2C4B2.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Troble said:

@tekobo after going through all 3 books yesterday I found that I liked the most recipes from Francis Malmans book, then Lennox Hastie and Assam Brocks 3rd, however this morning I forgot I had a great southern book Jubilee that I hadn’t gotten into and I spent time diving into that book. It has by far the most recipes I’ll be trying out in the future. If you haven’t heard of it I would recommend checking it out 

Thanks for the recommendation @Troble.  My Southern food care package should arrive in the next day or two and I will see how I get on.  I am intrigued by the intersection between Southern food and the food that I am familiar with from my childhood in Nigeria.  I am reading a book by Michael Twitty to try to better understand the connections.  Jubilee will come next if I find I actually enjoy dishes like Hoppin John from Mr Brock's book.  

And yes, I love Francis Mallman.  His cooking on fire feels like it has no boundaries and it is beautiful without being too fancy or complicated.  I look forward to seeing your creations.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, tekobo said:

I am intrigued by the intersection between Southern food and the food that I am familiar with from my childhood in Nigeria.  I am reading a book by Michael Twitty to try to better understand the connections.  

Most of the slaves in the Southern US were from western Africa, so that's probably your best tie. I'll be curious to hear what you think of some of those recipes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tony b said:

Most of the slaves in the Southern US were from western Africa, so that's probably your best tie. I'll be curious to hear what you think of some of those recipes. 

I found being in Brazil eerie.  The gods they worship, the language they speak and the food they cook is so close to what we have as Yorubas in Nigeria.  I sent photos of food to my parents in Nigeria that amazed them with the similarity to our food and I would walk behind people speaking a version of Yoruba that I could not speak but could just about understand.  Separated by an ocean and centuries of pain, change and joy.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, tekobo said:

I bought Sean Brock's South book first and found it very accessible.  Practically of our Christmas dinner will be cooked using that book.

I then bought Heritage and struggled to get into it because it was full of "fancy" recipes.  I think that may be because Heritage was his first book and he was establishing himself.  South seems more confident and less up itself.  That said, I did found a couple of pages in Heritage that I liked very much. Simple veg preparations - carrots cooked in carrot juice (we've cooked it using shop bought carrot batons and juice and it was a revelation and so I imagine it will be great with heritage carrots and home squeezed juice), confit potatoes (to help preserve a large harvest of potatoes) and eggplant barigoule (yet to try it but it sounds really good).  So I think I will get into Heritage by chipping away at bits of it.  

We don't have grits and the special beans and rice that Sean Brock recommends and so I cracked and placed an order with Anson Mills.  Package should be arriving in the next day or so.  I hope they live up to Tony's billing!!!

You might like this as well if you're going Southern. Not a cookery book per se but there are some recipes in it. None of which I've tried.

344802627_Screenshot2020-12-16at22_42_03.thumb.jpg.164daeb85a486cfb76136c35e31846e4.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/15/2020 at 3:41 PM, Troble said:

@tekobo I was catching up on your funky old cow thread and are your pics of your books it made me chuckle. This is my countertop this morning. My mission is to research done creative dishes particularly side dishes to go with my upcoming butcher box 

I told my wife it’s gonna be 5 days of great food and I’m gonna try some new things 🤞

7CFD3357-053B-43FD-942E-595BBF191BAE.jpeg

Were it not for distance, the pandemic and work commitments (minor obstacles), I'd offer myself up as an evaluator of your efforts. 😀

• Like 2