Troble

Wagyu Beef?

5 minutes ago, RokDok said:

I'll also let you into a little secret about the " Pig in a Day with Hugh and Ray " DVD .......

Tease!  I have my asthma and diabetes under excellent control but I am hoping my diagnoses will help me get vaccinated sooner rather than later.  We may be visiting you sooner than you think!!!

• Like 1

@RokDok I loved the story thanks for sharing....also no judgement on the drinking while you wait for your KK, totally understandable 

in general I agree with @tekobo and I’d personally like to get closer to my meat to “know the animal” and know how it’s raised. That’s why I’m intrigued by this guy who’s local to San Diego and raising Japanese style Kobe beef cows in Montana. I’ve been watching his Instagram for about 6 months now and I feel like when I actually go in and talk to him I’m going to get a different level of knowledge about the beef 

I do t plan on buying this as a regular occurrence but I do plan on trying it out. A good friend of mine who I introduced/educated on how to smoke meat went last week he picked up a 3lb tomahawk steak, a ribeye and a couple fillets. He gave me detailed feedback and said the beef was great although expensive, 1/2 the price of what’s you’d pay at a steakhouse but he said the fillet in particular was an “otherworldly” experience. I’ve known this friend for 15 years and respect his opinion on food as we’ve dined out fine dining many times 

I have a new KK sitting off the coast in Long Beach waiting to go through customs and get to me. It’s likely to be awhile before it gets here but I think I might break that bad boy in with a Wagyu  fillet 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 5

@Troble - Thats's exciting- great meat supplier and your KK arrival imminent !

You say :

17 hours ago, Troble said:

I have a new KK sitting off the coast in Long Beach waiting to go through customs and get to me. It’s likely to be awhile before it gets here but I think I might break that bad boy in with a Waygu fillet 

You say " bad boy" - is that a hint as to which one ??

Love to see pics of the arrival and the Waygu being cooked !

I was dreaming about Waygu in the early hours this morning - really bizarre.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, RokDok said:

I was dreaming about Waygu in the early hours this morning - really bizarre.

A bit like cheese: late night forum reading and lack of your own KK leads to weird dreams.  Soo looking forward to your KK arriving.  I do hope you love it.  I'll have it if you don't!!!

• Like 1

Just meaning, the Tri-tip once in favor became a meat of choice. The cut became popular & it was hard to find. Picanha a favorite, also known as the Top sirloin cap, Coulette steak or Rump cap steak is singular to each side. I would suggest to anyone looking to cook this at a moments notice....don't, call a day ahead.  Troble, there'll be no disappointment, just ain't going too happen.

[mention=3378]Basher[/mention] just planning on seasoning them with some salt and the cooking g it lower grate on my cast iron pan with butter 
the challenge has been the sides & wine. Looking forward to it. Will post pics of the meat and meal tomorrow 

I doubt you will need the butter Troble.
You have inspired me to take a piece of Wagyu striploin I have been wet aging in the corner of the cold room.
This was left over from what my dad bought for my birthday last year. It’s over 200 days.
16dccca3ec23e14f50cab2120299891c.jpg
I was cautious considering it’s age. After cutting the bag it had no bad odour, so I rinsed it, then trimmed all external edges and was left with this above.
751c53a1fc9d286c8c309097876399af.jpg
Salt and peppered then back in the cold room for a few hours while I stoked the KK
c8bdd82cea367887d1d8fdd105b99e74.jpg
That’s a Pikes Riesling to warm up for a good red.
3c6a8b8eb4840eb23dbff9ed485d679c.jpg
I’ll post the slice a little later tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

And sliced up
40414f22aba1ab11bd1d6e610267f4cc.jpg
I pulled it off the KK at 51c( 123f), then while resting it raced up to 62c( 144f)
9b4d0257aeafc654418f51236a73c40c.jpg
It was a little higher internal temp than I hoped for. Shouldn’t be surprised given I had it roasting indirect at a pretty high KK temp- 200c(390f) to get a little crust.
The crust was good.
8e14ac6976c1e94c7736c5b72419b8bc.jpg
Plated.
As expected after wet aging for 200+ days it was slightly gamey, rich with the melted marbling, not so much blue cheese but heading in that direction.
564dfa245c3e1b6a5b7c6d44d6243e08.jpg
I think I got lucky.

Troble with your sides and sauces for Wagyu, you want something to cut through the richness of the melted marble.
Maybe acid like vinegar, lemon, or tamarind?

• Like 1

Oooh.  That looks awesome [mention=3378]Basher[/mention].  I had not heard of the concept of "wet aging" before but it sounds like you lose less weight and surface area using this method.  And it tastes good.  Win win win.  

Tekobo I seriously got lucky with this.
My dad purchased this strip loin for my birthday last year. Embarrassingly between the extended family we ate sooooo much Wagyu, and this was the last 2kg that I cut out and vac bagged it.
I had been putting off opening this bag until Troble posted his Wagyu interests.
Honestly I thought I would have to toss it. But it was good. Must have had extremely hygienic conditions from culling, carving, and me rebagging.
When I cut the bag, it smelled fine, after rinsing, I trimmed less than 5% off every edge.
We ate about 250 grams each and my wife has a very sensitive nose and palette.
I’ll let you know if we are feeling crook tomorrow.
I am not recommending anyone challenges this length of time wet aging meat. We got lucky.
However, it’s nice to know it’s possible.

• Like 2