TheNakedWhiz

Operation BBQ, Camp Lejeune, NC -- April 12, 2007

I just posted photos from Operation BBQ that was held at Camp Lejeune, NC last Friday. Thought you might be interested. We had four stick burners and 1 small Egg (for breakfast) in attendance. Sorry, I couldn't get Kimono down there, lol!

You have to use IE to view the photos, and you have to have Javascript enabled. Apologies to all you geeks that use home-made open source browsers, or whatever the hell you use. :lol:

Operation BBQ

Re: Operation BBQ, Camp Lejeune, NC -- April 12, 2007

You have to use IE to view the photos, and you have to have Javascript enabled. Apologies to all you geeks that use home-made open source browsers, or whatever the hell you use. :lol:

Operation BBQ

I don't understand why you have to use IE? Couldn't you make it so that any browser can view the slides?

By the way you can use Safari on the Mac to view the slides if you are real geeky. I liked this picture the best. :)

slide35.jpg

Lead Dog, I hacked some javascript that I had developed for something more fancy. It required IE because of some of the tricks used and I wasn't smart or industrious enough to make them work for all browsers. DAMN I LOVE PORTABLE LANGUAGES, LMAO!! So, there you have it.

Nator, I had never seen the brisket piercing before and I wonder why they did it. I didn't get a chance to ask. FWIW, the briskets were a bit overcooked, so I don't know if the piercing helped them dry out or if it was truly just that they cook too long.

Lead Dog, I hacked some javascript that I had developed for something more fancy. It required IE because of some of the tricks used and I wasn't smart or industrious enough to make them work for all browsers. DAMN I LOVE PORTABLE LANGUAGES, LMAO!! So, there you have it.

Oh that explains what you did. Anyone that can hack javascript has a right to not do more work than just enough to make it work.

Ok here is the trick I used to view the pictures on a Mac with Safari and this does get geeky. First I turned on the Debug Menu by opening the terminal app and typing in

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

You can check the info for this at this link from Apple http://developer.apple.com/internet/saf ... l#anchor14

The next time Safari is launched the Debug menu will appear to the right of the rest of the menus.

Step two: Almost at the bottom of the Debug menu is a User Agent menu item, I selected Windows MSIE 6.0. This makes Safari tell websites that it is Windows Internet Exploder and they will pass you on to the page you want to go to. That is all I did to view the pictures TNW.

Whiz, thanks for posting that. I've seen photos from some previous years and am always envious of the motivation you folks have and all the karma you're earning. Not envious enough to go do something like that myself but I can sit in the comfort of my heavily padded chair and say, "Yep, I'm gonna do something like that some day."

Technobabble.... blah... blah... blah...That is all I did to view the pictures TNW.

Whew, LD. Thank heavens you shared that with us. Not that I remember anyone asking for details but apparently there was a burning need. :roll:

:P:P:P

Very funny you guys. :) But actually I adapted this Chinese recipe for dog to sled dogs. Sled dog is much better stir fried than 450 and 5 mins to a side.

INGREDIENTS:

• 10 - 12 ounces (275 - 350 grams) sled dog, such as rump

• 4 - 6 small dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked

• about 1 pint (500 ml, 2 cups) seasoned oil* (see below)

• a few small bits of fresh ginger root

• 1 spring onion, cut into short sections

• 4 ounces (115 grams) mangetout (snow peas), topped and tailed

• 1/2 small carrot, thinly sliced

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1/2 teaspoon soft brown sugar

• 2 tablespoons oyster sauce

• For the marinade:

• 1/2 teaspoon soft brown sugar

• 1 tablespoon dark or light soy sauce

• 2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine

• 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda or baking powder

• 2 teaspoons thick cornflour (cornstarch) paste - (1 part cornstarch with 1.2 parts cold water)

• 1 tablespoon oil

PREPARATION:

Cut the sled dog meat across the grain into thin slices about the size of a large postage stamp, and marinate in the marinade for several hours - overnight if possible. Squeeze dry the mushrooms and discard any hard stalks.

Heat the oil in a preheated wok until medium hot (300 - 325 degrees F.), blanch the sled dog meat for about 40 - 50 seconds, stir to separate the slices, then remove as soon as the color changes. Drain. Pour off the excess oil, leaving about 2 tablespoons in the wok, stir-fry the vegetables for 1 minute, add the salt and sugar, continue stirring for another minute, then add the sled dog meat and the oyster sauce, blend well and serve hot. Serves 4.

*How to season vegetable oil

Pour about 1 pint (600 ml) vegetable oil into a pre-heated wok or saucepan over a high heat, add 2 - 3 small pieces of ginger root. In a few minutes, the ginger pieces should rise to the surface. Now watch the color of the ginger; when it turns from pale yellow to dark brown, turn off the heat and let the oil cool down a little before removing the ginger pieces. Then store the seasoned oil in a container.

Ok now back to the thanking TNW for going and feeding our soldiers. Thanks TNW, a good friend of mine has his son stationed at Camp Lejeune.