tekobo

Turbot over fire - with bonus of new toy to covet!

I am mad about a couple of chefs in Wales - Nathan Davies of SY23 and Gareth Ward at Ynyshir.  Gareth is my meat hero.  My visit to his restaurant a couple of years ago and his subsequent feedback got me ageing a lump of sirloin for 198 days.  It was delicious!

I am now looking forward to visiting SY23 which is run by Nathan who used to work for Gareth.  We rarely eat out because we can cook and eat and drink much better at home but I am sure that Nathan's restaurant will be worth the pilgrimage.  He mentioned in an interview that the best thing on his menu is turbot cooked over fire, Basque style. I could not resist.  I had a "spare" turbot in the freezer and so I hunted down the clamp that he uses to cook his. Here it is cooked over wood fire on my, sorry the Husband's, Argentinian barbecue.

IMG_1103.thumb.jpeg.32d4bee02434ce8709389badc3161aa1.jpeg

I don't like the fact that the wood burns with a lot of smoke in the Argentinian BBQ and so I burned the logs to embers in my Solo stove first and then transferred them to the Argentinian BBQ.  First time trying that and it worked well.

IMG_1106.thumb.jpeg.bae932d50d37f4ef5dc33730a47b7968.jpeg

Cooked the sides in my 23 KK

IMG_1108.thumb.jpeg.2303d59f202fe0cb8b0d625bbf475ccd.jpeg

And ate at table with good friends the Dr and Mrs RokDok.

IMG_1113.thumb.jpeg.ccdafefc734802f2a3334cb32583b5f8.jpeg

It was soooo tasty.  Nice smoky turbot, picked over by hand.  

Recipe?  Didn't really use one but I took inspiration from Lennox Hastie and this recipe online: https://www.seriouseats.com/basque-style-grilled-whole-turbot  Great to break away from treating turbot like a sacred piece of fish that can only be served on a fancy plate with a fancy sauce.  

The clamp is super good.  Allows you to cook and turn the fish without sticking to the grate.  Will take a pic of the clamp in the 32 in daylight so you can see how it fits.

Hurrah.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Poochie said:

When I saw turbot I thought of the show Battlebots but I see that it's a fish. A big fish. It certainly looks like a delicious meal. I don't think they have turbot in the states but I'm going to do some research. 

Examples of Flat fish include: Brill, Dab, Megrim, Plaice, Sole, and Turbot.
  • Monkfish. Although Monkfish are not technically flat, visually they appear flatter than Round Fish and reside on the seabed like other Flat Fish. ...
  • Plaice. ...
  • Halibut. ...
  • Flounder. ...
  • Dabs. ...
  • Turbot. ...
  • Brill.
  • Like 1

Gosh.  This just shows how insular I am.  It didn't occur to me that people in other parts of the world don't eat turbot.  Here in the UK it is seen as the king of fish and it is a special treat to have it in a restaurant.  David is right in that it is smaller than halibut.  I definitely agree that it has a more delicate texture.  I often find halibut dry and turbot is more silky.  Cooking it just so that the flesh slides as it flakes is a thing of joy.  

• Like 3

Nice meal Tekebo, generally referred to as flounder here along the coast of Massachusetts. That certainly was fit to serve Henry the VIII with a pardon to carry on. I remember as a kid tossing a line off the Padanaram Bridge in Darthmouth Mass bringing up a few of those. Funny how it happens, a lot of the area names in Britain as are here in New England pop up as a thought and you have to remember where you are. That fish tile in the corner brought it all together, well maybe not everything but sure eased the passage to the plate. 

• Thanks 1