aconserva

Dry Pulled Pork Need Advice

Cooked a 5ish pound butt using Meatheads recipe, butt was nicely marbled.  Used meatheads dry brine and nothing else.  No foil or wrapping.  Komodo kept at a even 225 pretty much the whole cook using a bbqguru cyberQ and fan.  Took 24hrs to get to the 205 degree point.  Was decent when done but dry.  There was a temp stall at @150 and another @188 both of which took hours and hours.  Lid was only opened twice during the entire cook.

I am figuring it was the time that caused the dryness as according to Meathead (and other sites) this size should only take about 10-12 hours. This is the second time this has happened as I got something similar with my final cook last summer.  I have had success before (way less dry) but I don't remember the exact whys and wherefores of those cooks, though I dont remember those taking as long.

I am not against trying other things (different temps, foil, injections) but I should be able to get the pork butt nicely cooked with exactly how I was doing it.  I want to work towards getting this setup good so I better understand whats going on.

One thing I am thinking that I am going to try next time is modify the way I control the heat on the cook.  I basically had the top hat cranked all the way closed and was relying on the small amount of leakage coming out the main seal to exhaust the heat.  I did this because the temp started climbing past 225 at one point with the top almost all the way closed and I had to shut it completely to get it to go down.  I am thinking that the long cook times in the stall were maybe because of high humidity in the Kamado due to the sealed conditions.  I think next time I am going to try and control the intake through the fan by closing the fan damper more next time and leave the exhaust more open.

Anyone else have any suggestions I can try to make my cook time more on desired target.

Yes, 24 hours for a 5 lb butt does seem a long time.

The pink (uncoated) butcher paper favored by Aaron Franklin for some cooks is something I'd consider here. One often wraps a butt in foil to rest in a cooler after cooking; the pink butcher paper somewhat breathes, so one can use it for the latter part of a cook with less detrimental effect than foil. This isn't a popular choice for butt, but 5 lbs is small.

Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook helped me to reject orthodox thinking, like taking 225 F as gospel. Pit masters do what they need to do. Aaron Franklin cooks everything at 275 F, that's the house temperature for cookers sharing various meats. Especially with a smaller butt, I'd try this.

One tells when a butt is done by touch, not temperature. When it yields, the bone threatens to wiggle out, the butt is done.

I'll just say it, conventional wisdom is an oxymoron. The standard advice for when a butt is done is misguided. The butt I've had at commercial restaurants in North Carolina was very weak. It wasn't Charlie Chaplin shoe leather, but it might as well have been stewed unraveled cotton rope. There's a point cooking any butt where it transitions from needing to be sliced, to "pulling". There's a later point where the meat strands become ropey. One wants to catch butt after the first transition, but before the second transition.

• Like 1

There should be no leakage at the main seal, none. Is the latch completely closed? Its normal for the top vent to be open very little to maintain 225°, with the bottom open about the thickness of a nickel. 24 hours is too long for a butt of any normal size, way too long for a five pounder.

I would address the leakage issue first. Once that’s resolved, then work out the time details.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What Robert said. Check the seal and make sure that the lid is fully closed (not in the 1st position). That butt should have been done in 6 - 8 hours. 

13 hours ago, aconserva said:

I think next time I am going to try and control the intake through the fan by closing the fan damper more next time and leave the exhaust more open.

Definitely. 

1 hour ago, 5698k said:

There should be no leakage at the main seal, none. Is the latch completely closed? Its normal for the top vent to be open very little to maintain 225°, with the bottom open about the thickness of a nickel. 24 hours is too long for a butt of any normal size, way too long for a five pounder.

I would address the leakage issue first. Once that’s resolved, then work out the time details.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a leak from the left rear of the lid, with the latch fully closed.  I plan on addressing it as it also allows water into the komodo (sprinkler gets komodo wet) which led to a mold issue.  I think I am going to try reseating the lid.  

Not sure though how much this weighs into the problem though because its not a large leak.  I guess it does prevent air from the top of the dome from leaving.  

Personally, for home/catering/non comp, I inject Pork Butts with either plain apple juice, Chris Lilly's injection recipe, Dr. BBQ's recipe, or similar. You can do this the night before, but not necessary. Rub with your favorite stuff. I smoke at 265-275 until internal temp hits 165, then wrap in foil, either as is or with some apple juice. Continue until internal temp reaches approximately 201 or so. Let rest in a Cambro, an old cooler, wrapped in an old towel, etc., for at least an hour, more is better. 

Easy peasy.

Good luck,

Bill

Edited by BowtieBill
spelling

Located this in the forum.  Look towards the end of the post; @jonj comment.  

I’m in the 275 camp for most everything as well.  I prefer not to wrap pork butts in my KK. And, I spritz every hour with a mixture of 50/50 a/c vinegar and water with a shot of soy sauce.  Mostly to obtain as much smoke flavor as I can.  I start this after it’s been cooking for 3 hours.  After pulling it at 201-205, I wrap it in foil and then an old towel or two and throw it in an ice chest for at least an hour and preferably 2. Good luck.   

• Like 1

Until you fix your seal you’ll just be chasing your tail. And check the temp of the meat with a good meat thermometer, don’t just rely on a probe.  And I’d also suggest you adjust your sprinklers, nothing good can come out of that.

• Like 1