tekobo

Olive Wood for Smoking?

We (my husband) did a severe prune on our olive tree last weekend.  I rescued the larger branches and we ran them through the wood chipper to make chips for low and slow in the KK.  We kept a few pieces to dry and use in the wood fired oven.   Has anyone else got experience of using olive wood for cooking or smoking?  From what I can glean from the internet it should be good for lighter meats like chicken and pork.  

image.thumb.jpeg.6ab0f32033bdcd086b7d637d5ba38db8.jpeg

• Like 3

I've used grape vine cuttings, and fig (a bit odd) but not olive wood. Here's what ChatGTP-4 said:

In Mediterranean cooking, olive wood is primarily used for grilling rather than smoking. The wood from olive trees, when used as fuel for grilling, imparts a mild, sweet, and somewhat fruity flavor to the food, which complements the region's culinary style well. This flavor is particularly popular for grilling meats, fish, and vegetables.

While olive wood can also be used for smoking food, it is less common compared to other woods like hickory or mesquite, which are more typically used in American-style barbecue smoking. The slow-burning nature of olive wood and its subtle flavor profile makes it ideal for the quick and high-heat cooking methods preferred in Mediterranean grilling.

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 2

Yeah, I am thinking it is a candidate for the smoke pot @Tyrus.  When you used the grape vine cuttings @Syzygies, were they fresh off the tree?  From what I can find online it sounds like I need to leave the wood to cure for 6-12 months before burning it.  Not a problem although that will mean I cannot report back on this thread for about another year.  We also cut some apple and other fruit trees on the allotment so we will have some fruit wood to try out to.  Looking forward to seeing if it makes a difference to the flavour of the food.  

1-2 years ago I bought a box of olive wood for smoking. I have to say I liked it. It was pretty much what chat gpt said, light, fruity flavor that smells like summer :)

can't beat the smell when sitting on the patio and smoking some ribs with olive wood!

Edited by skoell
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tekobo said:

it sounds like I need to leave the wood to cure for 6-12 months

Have you a chop saw/miter saw? Slice the pieces to 1/2 in and keep them dry and allow air to flow around them. You'll be using them this summer, 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Have you a chop saw/miter saw? Slice the pieces to 1/2 in and keep them dry and allow air to flow around them. You'll be using them this summer, 

image.thumb.jpeg.91bccbce2fc9b7f3198c503adee926de.jpeg

I think you are right about the olive wood that we chipped @Tyrus.  I will keep shaking the bucket and it should be dry quite quickly.

image.thumb.jpeg.042ff63a784b35ecb1371f10c52708e5.jpeg

As you can see from the picture above, the wood that we harvested is a relatively small haul.  Just one cook's worth I reckon.  I was going to throw away the leafy twigs on the right but I am wondering if they would do well on the fire once dried.  I love the idea of food flavoured with a wonderful, gentle Mediterranean smell.  

• Like 2

No olive wood here but I have used grape vine too. I lay some in the middle of the lump and it catches gradually throughout a long cook. I typically add it for long cooks like pork butts along with peach wood. If you add a lot it smells really nice in the yard , I think it smells like a really really light version of apple😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tekobo said:

As you can see from the picture above, the wood that we harvested is a relatively small haul.  Just one cook's worth I reckon.  I was going to throw away the leafy twigs on the right but I am wondering if they would do well on the fire once dried

Hate to be a pest Tekebo but I have to warn you about the leaves.  Around here were allowed each year to burn outdoors before April 1st any accumulation of twigs and branches that have come down during the fall and winter season. You have to call into the fire dept for permission if you choose to burn, keep in mind there are rules. One of them is that leaves are prohibited, the smoke instant, thick, acrid and makes a quick flying ash that is dangerous and they fill the neighborhood with a thick smoke. I don't think any leafy parts would do you well and could spoil a well layed out cook. Now I know nothing of olive leaves and what bouquet they may in part, however those chips look good for the pot. 

Thanks @Tyrus.  I looked up "burning olive leaves" and got lots of hits for Cypriots burning olive leaves to ward off evil spirits.  That would seem to tie in with your view about acrid smoke - evil spirits are unlikely to like a cloud of smoke coming at them.  I might just abandon that idea without ever trying it!

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, tekobo said:

I looked up "burning olive leaves" and got lots of hits for Cypriots burning olive leaves to ward off evil spirits.  That would seem to tie in with your view about acrid smoke - evil spirits are unlikely to like a cloud of smoke coming at them.  I might just abandon that idea without ever trying it!

Or perhaps just keep the "warding off evil spirits" project separate from the "cooking food" project...

• Haha 2

On 4/22/2024 at 12:00 PM, David Chang said:

it's crazy you guys burn olive wood. they are so expensive to buy at the garden shop here. like thousands for a living olive tree..

I forgot to respond to this point about olive trees being expensive.  Mine was free!  A friend gave it to me many years ago because she thought it needed to be in a greenhouse.  It was taking up too much space after a couple of years and so I planted it outdoors in the garden.  It hasn't looked back and keeps reaching for the sky.  Our escapologist cat used to tut at my husband whenever he pruned the tree to keep the kitties from using it as a bridge to the outside world.  

What's even better than home grown olive wood?  Single varietal smoking apple wood chips, that's what! I had a good giggle, thinking about labelling up bags of apple chips with the name of the variety, the tree's pet name and selling them at a premium to people with more money than sense.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3