DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

55 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Different strokes for different folks.  I am not sure that it will make much practical difference to the outcome with the meat compared to foil but I suspect that it takes more fuel to get the KK heat soaked if you are also having to get the deflectors up to temp.  

In 1 hour my normal heat soak time, all components are up to temp (according to my IF gun).  It works the same on in my pizza oven, which will reach 900F.   I understand the story but I don't see the science or proof that we are using more fuel and or creating more air flow as a result, at least the way I have been using the deflectors.   I do agree with you the protein end results will be minimal.   I think the way the KK was originally designed with the stone deflectors in the round/oval rack held directly above the firebox (1" away, compared to my placement of 8"s away), there could be inefficiencies that influence the dynamics of the heat directed back to the firebox, which could effect fuel burn.  Hey its an opinion like everyone else's. 

i used my rib rack for the first time today. i've had it sitting in my shed since i bought the 19. 

i don't think it was made for beef ribs, but i couldn't get the single bones to stand up without falling over. 

i also used wood chunks right on the coals. still works great this way and less hassle..

used only half a basket of charcoal and for almost 8 hours i only burned through half that. what a charcoal miser..

image.thumb.png.4f04bd7725ae04035607d3d83e537a5b.png

image.thumb.png.491833c2f154c71d3a41539e81c1833a.png

• Like 6

9 hours ago, CaptMorg82 said:

Early anniversary dinner, screw going out. 8 times out of ten I’m thinking I could have made something better at home. Only thing is the cleanup, I’m exhausted!

Those oysters were monstrous and delicious.

7f1d2464a0d9ec9438a7d13f942acd98.jpg

8d6e9f537e2ba2f592ecef82f97c12ae.jpg

964555029d683d0d9150d5cef89bc351.jpg

24e3e3ebb60105eba74f2ebbf4158f40.jpg

6fcb776825de35837c12c53bb0879f83.jpg
84fad122aab94e3717718cb57b44678e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the pictures aren't loading for me but sounds good..

• Like 1

I was inspired by @remi cook of my Peruvian polo a la brass so decided to make it tonight. Never disappoints 

@tony bi ate at a good Peruvian place yesterday and struck up a conversation with the chef who asked me where I sourced ingredients in San Diego…told him I grow my aji  Amarillo and we got to discussing the Peruvian green sauce…the real stuff used a herb called Huacatay and I purchase a plant yesterday https://thegrowers-exchange.com/products/huacatay?variant=40098478522449&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2019-12-19&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj-iu7pTDhQMV0MzCBB1mJQ-HEAQYASABEgLDnfD_BwE

I am going to make it my mission to nail down the authentic version of this sauce this year. The jalapeño substitute is fine but the real deal is so much better. This chef used jarred Huacatay but he asked me to bring him the real stuff along with my fresh aji Amarillo which I’ve already started growing this week….stay tuned for updates but I’m gonna figure this out this year….going to Peru for two week over Christmas so I will get this “Peruvian crack” recipe nailed down this year 

IMG_8780.jpeg

IMG_8781.jpeg

IMG_8782.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, Troble said:

I am going to make it my mission to nail down the authentic version of this sauce this year.

Perfect!  I am just sowing my seeds here in the UK so I will track down some Huacatay and maybe the Aji Amarillo so that I have the ingredients ready for when you reveal your new and improved recipe. I do already have a LOT of chilli plants underway so I am less sure about the Aji but we'll see if we can fit that in.   Looking forward to joining you on this journey! :cheer:

• Like 2

Low and slow sauce making on the 32. The first is a simple beef ragu that I cooked for eight hours and the second is some soffritto that cooked for four hours.   The latter came off the KK at close to midnight, too late for me to care about taking any more pics!  And yes, there is a lot of olive oil in that soffritto. It takes on an amazing flavour from the vegetables and imparts a lovely unctuousness to the ragu di corte that I will be making next.  

image.thumb.jpeg.774be9d3a758139c0e193a368c1f40f8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bba4a36e36e4ea89357e6de052a2820b.jpeg

• Like 2