mguerra

A Turkey Option

I haven't posted a cook in a long time.  My wife was sick with cancer and succumbed two weeks ago.  I decided I had to get back in the saddle and fill some emptiness or I was going to go crazy.  So I did an easy cook.  Two honey-brined turkey breasts from Wegmens.  I dusted with poultry seasoning, granulated garlic and ground pepper.  In the foil pan underneath I mixed carrots, celery, onions and mushrooms and a quart of chicken broth.  Two-and-a-half hours at 350-ish and I was done.  It was difficult to take off the bone as I'm used to carving a whole turkey.  It tasted great and was moist.  I strained the juice from the pan and didn't thicken--just left it the way it was.  Had it all with sides of rice and broccoli.  If only my baby had been here to taste it.  Effing cancer takes another angel from this world.

post-1101-0-14252200-1416828750_thumb.jp

post-1101-0-32352000-1416828777_thumb.jp

Dave - please accept my condolences.  My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.  Yesterday was the 5th anniversary of my Mom's passing.  There isn't a day goes by that I wouldn't give 5 years off the end of my life for one more family meal at her table.  The acute pain goes away, but there is still an ache.  

When the ache comes, remember the laughter, the good times you had together, and revel in that!

Oh, BTW, nice cook you did there.  Stay in touch.

I cooked three of these at once in the roti-rack.  I suspect I didn't really need it and that the rest of you just cooked them on the grate, I just wanted to try out to new toy.

Party guests, however, RAVED about the smoked turkey, and my boss' wife has already requested it for this Christmas.