wibblylee

Prime Rib -1st cook

First cook on the KK was a 5 rib roast on Christmas day. Roast had been deboned and tied back to the ribs. Browned the roast on the stovetop and then transferred to the KK. I was using the BBQ Guru and set the target temp to 240F as was afraid to overshoot. Took about 2 hours to get to 240F, and then I put in the deflector plate, drip pan on top of that with veggies, main rack and then the roast. I then set the BBQ Guru to target of 250F but ended up overshooting as the KK ended up at 270-275F for duration of the cook. The lower vent open slightly and the chimney was open 1/2 to 1 turn.

b75ff6723cebdf7b42318e384ad899d3.jpg

f14445e71e0ec2b15ac17ae83d302530.jpg

2.5 hours later the roast was ready and perfectly cooked despite overshooting the cook temp. Internal target temp of the roast was 118F and it rested, covered on cutting board for 30mins before carving.

e637aa0059fcd447d096725f86471f3e.jpg

Next time I will add the deflector plate and drip pan once the charcoal is lit and hopefully that will prevent overshooting the target cooking temp. BTW the KK was at 250F the next morning, 12 hours after I removed the BBQ Guru, reinserted the plug, closed the lower vent and closed off the chimney. Maybe I didn’t properly close everything so air was still coming in and feeding the fire. Thanks everyone for sharing your techniques as it definitely helped.

• Like 1

When using the guru, the bottom vent should be closed, and the top less than 1/4 turn open. The fan should do all the work, and cycle pretty constantly. Make sure your fan dampener is wide open also.

For your grill to still be at 250° the next day, something was open. Did you close the lower vent? Make sure both lower doors are pushed closed also.

Beautiful roast! If this is your first kk cook, I can't wait to see what's next!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah, what he said. My only add would be that if it's a windy day, I don't open the Guru damper all the way, maybe 1/2. 

Don't sweat small differences in cooking temperature (+/- 25F), all that matters is the internal temp of your meat in the end. That's the fun part of this adventure, learning all the techniques and tricks to add to your culinary tool box - low & slow, hot & fast, Texas crutch, reverse sear, etc. It's all good!

BTW - nice looking roast there! Looks like you're well on your way!

wibblylee - that is one very fine cook!  You should be VERY proud.  And if this your first cook, Buddy, the sky is the limit for you!

As for the 250 temp the next morning, something was open.  To my mind, if Robert told me to go stand on my head in the corner when using my controller, I'm upside down in a BIG hurry.  

tonyb's advice on the damper setting is also spot on.

Great cook.. I would not mess with using the fan on the Guru for anything less than a long low and slow cook where you are going to sleep and want a bit of auto pilot security.. I only use my Guru as a quality WiFi thermometer. The quality of the cables and the fact they use a thermocouple got me to use it instead of the typical $30-50 Maverick style thermometer with their thin "toy" armored cables that die if yo8u get a kink in them.. I have a big drawer full of dead Maverick and similar build thermometers from the last 12 years..

Request..  

Please try to remember to take a shot of the finished cook "in your KK"  

That's what I need for social media to drive traffic to get back listed on Google organically..  

Thanks in advance!

He hasn't posted in ages, so we can't ask him directly. Plus, it was 4 years ago - who remembers details of cooks that long ago?? Hell, I'm lucky to remember last night's cook, let alone 4 years ago! :laughing6:

And yes, 2 hours to reach 240F is excessive, even in January. Can only speculate as to why? Lit too few coals, too many small pieces in the charcoal basket that blocked airflow, damp charcoal??? In addition, there were a number of "errors" in his initial grill set up as well, most of which were commented on in the thread, especially how he set up his Guru. No one, repeat, no one, uses that big heat deflector anymore. It takes too long to heat up and doesn't do any better job than just the drip pan or a sheet of aluminum foil on the lower grate does. 

• Like 1