wilburpan

Easter roast leg of lamb

I had been going back and forth over whether to try a leg of lamb for Easter, mainly because based on previous experience, I thought I was looking at having to buy an 8-10 lb. leg of lamb, which would have been way more than the four of us could handle. Luckily, this weekend I found a 3 lb. boneless New Zealand leg of lamb at one of our local stores. Still a lot of meat for a family of four, but much more manageable.

For this cook, I followed a recipe that I found on the Serious Eats website. Here goes.

The rub is a mixture of rosemary, garlic, shallots, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, and anchovies, sautéed in olive oil until the garlic and shallots are tender. After transferring the mixture to a bowl to cool, I added in kosher salt and black pepper, and mixed it up good.

16860068328_512fd38377_c.jpg

16427700093_e3bbe4813d_c.jpg

Here’s the leg of lamb, fat side up.

17046392492_2491713ab1_c.jpg

I opened up the leg, and spread about half the rosemary garlic mixture on the inside.

16860070978_a21a773aec_c.jpg

Then I rolled up the leg again, and trussed it up with some butchers twine, because my understanding is that if the leg of lamb opens up when cooking, it’s a big mess. ^_^

16860071678_d8e330b0b4_c.jpg

The remaining rosemary garlic mixture gets rubbed onto the outside. At this point, I could have stuck into the fridge to wait overnight, but I didn’t plan that far ahead. ^_^

17021851926_75bcc7df19_c.jpg

The leg went into Smaug, who was set up for indirect cooking at 275ºF.  I waited until I hit an internal temperature of 130ºF. Here’s what it looked like when it was done.

16861639439_3e484ba7f9_c.jpg

16840435847_5622a0212e_c.jpg

I took out the heat deflector, fired Smaug up to 500ºF, and direct grilled the outside for about 10 minutes. Here’s the final product.

16425410454_9227012cea_c.jpg

Sliced open, and served.

16860076328_549c3cca5d_c.jpg

17047864075_0057bb9c5e_c.jpg

It was delicious — super tasty and juicy. The lighting in the sliced open picture makes it look like the outside was cooked much more than it was. In addition, I think lamb holds up better to being cooked to medium than beef does (I like steaks medium rare). Just think of a lamb gyro that’s cooked to well done, and is still juicy and delicious if done right.

Happy Easter!

Edited by wilburpan
  • Like 2

Hi Ken,

I did the potatoes in our kitchen oven. They were your basic “toss potatoes with olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper, and roast at 400°F†dish. I got my timing of the dishes wrong, which is why I had to use the oven.

Total cooking time for the leg of lamb was a little over 3 hours in Smaug’s belly, including searing at the end. Prep time was about 30 minutes.

• Like 1

Hi Ken,

I did the potatoes in our kitchen oven. They were your basic “toss potatoes with olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper, and roast at 400°F†dish. I got my timing of the dishes wrong, which is why I had to use the oven.

Total cooking time for the leg of lamb was a little over 3 hours in Smaug’s belly, including searing at the end. Prep time was about 30 minutes.

Thanks, Wilbur! A rather appropros meal for Easter I'd say! Very nicely done.

Thanks for the comments! 

There were leftovers, which was not a surprise, given that there are just four of us, and my wife doesn’t eat lamb. I chopped the leftovers into small bits, made a batch of mashed potatoes, and made shepherd’s pie. It was also tasty.

• Like 2