EGGARY

Steaks

I just saw an article on the Science of Flipping Steaks often and thought I wondered how everyone cooks steaks. I have done the "T Rex" thing, Reverse Sear, and the Sear on each side then close the vents to roast.

One thing for sure is I do not cook steaks the same method on every cook.

^ 99% of my quick steak/chop (1"+ in thickness) cooks are basically the same:  Reverse sear, 1-2 minute per side sear (dependent upon thickness) followed by a 10-15 minute rest under loosely tented foil atop a warmed wood cutting board.  The rest period is integral to the cooking process as it, as you surely know, continues to cook during the rest period.

EGGARY - I'm an equal opportunity cooker of steak, chops, etc.  Sometimes I reverse sear, sometimes I sear until done, and then sometimes I sear and roast.  And for the life of me, I can't tell you my calculus for picking which one to employ!  All I know is I LOVE a good steak, and steak is a lot like sex!  The worst you ever had was wonderful!   :happy3:

My current 2 favorite methods -

1) sous vide w/final sear on the KK (lower grate, not sear grate). 1 minute each side, then rotate 90 degrees  for 30 seconds each side, to get sear and grill marks, without overcooking.

2) "frozen" - straight out of the freezer and onto the lower grate, 2 min per side initially, then 1 minute per side as I get close to final temp. 

If you're doing a reverse sear, you need to flip often and quickly so you don't overcook the steak. Initially roast it to about 15 degrees below your final temp. You pick up about half of that during the reverse sear and the remainder during the rest period. I basically follow the SV searing method here too.