CeramicChef

NuWave Induction Cooktop

Hi Again, KKers!

[i hope this is appropriate for this section of the KK Forum!]

So last Saturday, SWMBOI is watching TV and "napping" in the bedroom while I'm Watching baseball on the Big Screen.  All of a  sudden, at a critical juncture on the ball game (doesn't every interruption happen at some critical point?) SWMBOI comes and switches the TV to an infomercials about the NuWave Induction Cooktop.  AAAARRRRGGGHHHH! This had better be dadgummed good!  She tell me to watch!  SWMBOI knows I've been looking at induction stoves here for the house, but as little as we use a stove, I'll be dipped if I'm spending that kind of money on a new stove. (These things are the newest, latest, and great, but they ARE expensive!)  I don't have to be an early adopter.

Now I just HATE infomercials with an undying passion.  I truly do. I just hate the "But WAIT!, there's more!" Here is this induction cooktop that is only $99 bucks.  I've been thinking about getting a propane burner like you see on many breakfast buffets and used to do omelettes.  The more I look at this induction thingy the more I think it just might do the deal on the patio next to Beauty! and TheBeast.  I copy down the web address and back to the ballgame.  I missed the dinger that put my team ahead!  AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

So later that day, after another ball game I go and log on to the website (which I don't remember, but Google. NuWave Induction Cooktop) and I fall for the "But WAIT! there's more!"  O order a couple of these induction cooktops and some pans that SWMBOI wants and they thrown in a veggie steamer/fondue pot.  Okay, it's not much money.  Something under $200.  If SWMBOI is happy, my world is wonderful.  

So this box shows up on Monday afternoon and I unpack it.  These NuWave cooktops are more substantial than I thought they would be and the cookware is of better quality than I had hoped for.  It's not All-Clad quality, but not much is.  The instructions that came packaged with the unit are very well written and easy to follow.  The Quick Start guide is written for idiots like me.

Here is picture of the NuWave Induction Cooktop.

post-1637-0-99938200-1430933603_thumb.jp

Temperatures are easily controlled and there are preset temps for Low, Med Low, Med, Med High, High and Sear.  There are also preset cooking programs so you can automatically cook something at 350F for an hour and then decrease the temp to simmer for 3 hours.  Everything is customizable.  I was impressed.

So who can screw up breakfast, right?  ME!  If anyone can screw up breakfast on this NuWave Induction Cooktop, it's Yours Truly.  So I'm off to cook breakfast and see what happens.

Breakfast wouldn't be breakfast without BACON!  Here's bacon frying in the new nonstick pan (it's no supposed to off gas at higher temps like teflon).

post-1637-0-67875400-1430933992_thumb.jp

One shortcoming to this cooktop is that the induction surface measure only about 9" on a surface that is about 12".  In a 12" pan, as pictured above, is that the last 1.5" on each side will not get cooked.  But for the price, I guess I'm happy.

One of the hard things to do is cook a really good sunny-side-up egg after frying bacon.  That's because of the residual heat in a lot of stove top heating elements and the pan.  Not with this system.  There is precious little thermal energy stored in the cooktop itself.  I'd say that within a minute, two at the most, temperatures came down so that I could get a nice sunny-side-up egg.  Here is a pic of the eggs in the new 12" skillet.

post-1637-0-15115700-1430934352_thumb.jp

Again, because the induction surface doesn't extend to the far edge, no cooking occurs in the last 1.5" all around the cooktop and 12" pan.  You can see that in the photo above.  The albumin just runs.  Lesson: Crack the eggs in the center of the skillet running at a higher temp, or, move the edge of the pan into the induction heating area.  That's eventually what I did.

As always, here is the plated shot.  As you can see I'm using my finest paper china for this inaugural cook!

post-1637-0-78492200-1430934586_thumb.jp

All in all, I'd call this a successful inaugural cook on the NuWave induction Cooktop as witnessed by the next pic.

post-1637-0-71409200-1430934763_thumb.jp

What I would tell each of you is that I'm really impressed with this unit.  It does everything it claimed and more.  The cookware that I purchased with the unit is pretty good quality.  The handles don't feel as good to the hand as does my All-Clad, but that's not that big a deal.  The included nonstick pans are also not as heavy as their All-Clad  counterparts, but as I think about it, that may be by design.  These  pans respond quickly to changes in the temperature settings because they don't have all the thermal mass of my All-Clad. There is not much hysteresis when using these pans when used in conjunction with the induction cooktop.

Before you go running out to order a NuWave Induction Cooktop and think you're going to use the cookware you already have, take a second and make certain your cookware will work with an induction heater.  Simply grab a magnet and try and stick it to the BOTTOM of your cookware.  If the magnet sticks firmly and tightly, your cookware will more than likely work quite well with an induction cooktop. If the magnetic attraction is weak, rethink your purchase decision. 

Finally, a note of caution.  Induction cooktops use strong electromagnetic fields.  These are generally strongest within about 2-3 feet of the cooktop.  Strong electromagnetic fields can impair or completely disrupt the function of a pacemaker.  Also, be careful of the jewelry you wear around the inductions cooktops.  If any of it is susceptible to electromagnetic radiation, TAKE IT OFF!  No sense in getting burned while you cook.  This means, rings, watches, bangles, etc.  

So there it is.  I'd buy this NuWave Induction Cooktop again.  It's the really deal.  Is it perfect?  No.  but it doesn't cost $15,000 like the unit I was considering for the house.  This thing is just very good.

The  only better unit is a KK. BUT be carefull where you buy. One source charges more freight than I have ever seen in my life. (78)

I own 3 units and have bought 4 for gifts.

Old castiron does not sit level. (hot spots)

The boss does not use kitchen stove top any more.

Congrats on your new tool. You will remain elated.

Use that skillet at 160* to thaw sealed frozen pkg's.

Note

Always dbl check new units to be sure heat temp is as selected.

I'll never go back.

Wal-Mart is where to go.

There is now a competior on the market. I know nothing about it other than it is around $50.

Congrats on your Nu Wave purchase.

I looked at induction tops when I was building my house, this was about a year ago. At that time, they were about three times as much, and, they're limited size. I think the largest available was about 30", plus, it wouldn't heat more than three pans at once. I ended up with a thermador 36" gas top, and have never looked back.

I just looked on Amazon, and there are a couple of single units available. For a single pan, these units look great, but, for me, it wasn't an option for my main cooktop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buyers Beware.

From the pictures that CC posted, he got the "Pro" model (aka, Titanium), not the BOGO version in the infomercial (PIC2). LOTS of bad reviews of the PIC 1 and 2 on Amazon. Mostly about poor temperature control (inaccurate controllers - temperatures off as much as 50F) and short life (< 1 year). Lousy customer service complaints, too. They hit you for S/H charges ($29.95) for each item, like the "free cookware," so you can rack up a lot of S/H charges fast! Typical Infomercial scam. 

The Pro model seems to get better ratings and fewer complaints.

Will wait for more feedback from CC after he has his a while before I jump in on this one! YMMV

For what it's worth, I purchased a Max Burton 6400 off Amazon a few months ago for around $125. My daughter and I decided to make maple syrup this year, so we needed a cooktop we could use outside to boil down the sap. We boiled off roughly 60 gallons of sap over the course of two weeks. The Max Burton ran 16 hours straight on high several times. I'm not sure how well it will hold up long term, but after a couple hundred hours of run time, it still works perfectly.

I wouldn't hesitate to use your good All Clad cookware, unless you really need teflon. They will perform far better than the included cookware. I have a set of Viking 7-ply pans, and they have very even heat thanks to the layers of aluminum.

Great review. Have been considering one for a while now.

Too many toys - I must control myself, I must control myself, I must ..................

Dude, the Anova HAS to be at the top of your list! Hope you pounced on that great Mother's Day deal that they had! You won't see one any cheaper, anywhere! I seriously thought about getting a second one and moving my original down to my beer brewing room and keeping the new one in the kitchen. 

Speaking of beer brewing, a number of guys in my homebrew club use induction burners to boil their wort. Both the Burton and Avantco are popular. 

I installed a GE 27" induction cooktop about a year and a half ago....very slick and easy to use. Yes I had to replace cookware with "induction" ready utensils etc which is basically anything magnetic. Never really thought of it but my cast iron pans work great with it. Induction is lightning fast to pre-heat and fast to cool too. Being a glass top care must be taken at all times to prevent cracking. I really wanted a gas range but we aren't plumbed with gas lines where I live...nothing beats a flame for heat and speed-this is where the induction falls a bit short as it can never achieve the temps of a flame.

I have a Max Burton single burner, and plan to replace my cooktop with induction.  A full kitchen induction cooktop (usually has more wattage than the hot plate burner) can actually cook faster than gas.  It's safer, cleaner, and more efficient.  The main thing I miss is the feel of picking your pan off the stove to swirl it as you cook - induction only works with the pan resting flat on the cooktop.  Other than that, I think induction is superior.  More temperature control, timers, faster, etc.