MacKenzie

Wilburpan Wing Dinner

If I had just followed Wilburpan's instructions to the letter my wings wouldn't have been soooo salty, He did say 1T BP:1T salt for 5.5 pounds of wings. I should have scaled it down better, my mistake.

The wings were crispy and the inside was moist and tender.

up5AkRe.jpg

A closer look at the wings. BTW that fresh out of the garden spinach is to die for, ever so tender and tasty. I'll have to keep eating it and get as much as I can before it bolts.

GltCmaL.jpg

• Like 1

He said 50:50 and he used 1T of each for 5.5 lbs of wings.

So I would say about 0.5t of BP and 0.5t of salt per pound of wings. I'm not going to tell you that I used 4 times that much!!!!! No wonder they were salty:)

I'll be right back, I have to get another glass of water:)

He said 50:50 and he used 1T of each for 5.5 lbs of wings.

So I would say about 0.5t of BP and 0.5t of salt per pound of wings. I'm not going to tell you that I used 4 times that much!!!!! No wonder they were salty:)

I'll be right back, I have to get another glass of water:)

Is that water or beer/wine

If I had just followed Wilburpan's instructions to the letter my wings wouldn't have been soooo salty, He did say 1T BP:1T salt for 5.5 pounds of wings. I should have scaled it down better, my mistake.

If it makes you feel any better, you’re not the only one to make that mistake. ^_^ There were some people on the Kamado Guru website who did the same thing in using way too much of the salt/baking powder mixture.

I did use 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of baking powder for 5-1/2 lbs. of wings. Your conversion of 0.5 teaspoon salt and 0.5 teaspoon of baking powder per pound of wings seems right. I actually think I could cut back even more on the salt/baking powder mix. I’ve done this trick on a whole chicken, and it works when I sprinkle on just enough to coat the skin, like what you would do with a BBQ rub when prepping ribs.

The problem with wings is that if you were to do it this way, you’d have to lay out all the wings, sprinkle the salt/baking powder mixture over them, flip all the pieces, and sprinkle again. Tossing the wings with the salt/baking powder mixture is much faster, but more prone to using more than you need.

The problem with wings is that if you were to do it this way, you’d have to lay out all the wings, sprinkle the salt/baking powder mixture over them, flip all the pieces, and sprinkle again. Tossing the wings with the salt/baking powder mixture is much faster, but more prone to using more than you need.

Did you shake them in a paper bag, like you'd dust chicken for frying, or did you toss them in an open bowl? I think the latter technique would yield less coating, based upon my experience. YMMV.

Right on! Let us know how it works out for you.

I would just sprinkle enough of the mixture to cover the skin of the leg quarters, like you were applying a rub. Patting the skin down with a paper towel before sprinkling helps, as does letting the leg quarters sit for a while before putting them on the grill.

Well, here's the results of last night's chicken. Sorry, no pics this time. 

This worked out great!! Thanks for the tip, Wilburpan!

I did an overnight marinade of a breast and leg quarter in Jamaican jerk paste and dark rum. Didn't dry them off after coming out of the zipbag - left them wet. Made the sprinkle of 1 tsp baking powder, 3/4 tsp fine grained sea salt, and 1 tsp of dry Jamaican jerk seasoning (Dizzy Pig). Just dusted the skin parts heavily. Onto the KK @ 375F for an hour. Crazy crispy skin, even though it started out wet from the marinade! Will definitely be doing this routinely from now on on all chicken cooks!

Well, here's the results of last night's chicken. Sorry, no pics this time.

This worked out great!! Thanks for the tip, Wilburpan!

I did an overnight marinade of a breast and leg quarter in Jamaican jerk paste and dark rum. Didn't dry them off after coming out of the zipbag - left them wet. Made the sprinkle of 1 tsp baking powder, 3/4 tsp fine grained sea salt, and 1 tsp of dry Jamaican jerk seasoning (Dizzy Pig). Just dusted the skin parts heavily. Onto the KK @ 375F for an hour. Crazy crispy skin, even though it started out wet from the marinade! Will definitely be doing this routinely from now on on all chicken cooks!

I'm glad it worked for you! Im guessing you didn't find it too salty.

I'm impressed that it worked even with the skin wet. I've been drying off the skin as much as possible before sprinkling the baking powder/salt mixture, so you taught me something. ^_^

By the way, it's Wilbur. ^_^

• Like 2

Tony, what were you thinking -  no drool pixs :fencing:

I'm lazy sometimes. Plus, I was hungry as all get out, so I didn't want to futz around taking pics. 

By the way, it's Wilbur. ^_^

Gotcha! I just respond with folks' forum names, unless I know it's OK to use their real names on the forum.