wilburpan

Pork butt, in 6 steps

Looks great Wilbur. Did you pull it off at a certain temperature or do it by touch?

So here are the annotations for each step.

1. I made up a little more than 1/2 cup of a rub based on Aaron Franklin’s approach to rub making: mainly a 50/50 mix of salt and pepper, with a little granulated onion, granulated garlic, paprika, ancho chile powder, dry mustard, and brown sugar.

2. This hunk of pork butt was about 7 lbs.

3. I put some olive oil on all sides of the pork butt, then hit it with the rub. I don’t have wall-to-wall coverage with the rub, but I’ve observed that folks who do that are using rubs with a fair amount of sugar in it. Those rubs stick to themselves, just like how brown sugar clumps up in the bag. The rub I made doesn’t do that, since it’s mainly spices, and doesn’t really stick to itself.

In addition, this rub packs a ton of flavor since it’s mainly spices, so I’ve learned to ease up on the application. One time when I made ribs, my kids said that there was too much rub.

4. Smaug was set at 225ºF to start. He crept up to 250ºF over the course of the day. 

5. The pork was taken out when it hit an IT of 195ºF. Total cook time was 9-1/2 hours. It was probe tender throughout.

6. Proof that it was probe tender: I was able to shred the entire thing with a pair of dinner forks. No need to buy a set of bear paws!