bosco

The backyard is going into winter mode

Although the weather is still beautiful here in Southern Ontario Canada, my life as a hockey dad has begun again.  Both boys play rep hockey and we begin the weekend tournaments and week night games and practices.  

After labour day I always close down the pool, however, this year it is still great weather... but we just won't use it due to sports.

So, sadly we shut it down today the summer is officially over in the backyard.  Soon we will be wrapping trees and putting patio set in storage for the winter.  

HOWEVER in a few short months, I will have the grills of my dreams and a winter full of hard core Canuck Winter Cooking!!!

I am trying to decide if I should buy a gazebo for the new grills as I won't be able to lift them onto the enclosed porch or just cook in the open, knowing that the new vent cap won't be hampered by rain.

Anyways.... a sad day, but great things await in the horizon

Bring on the Cold!!!

You're talking cold weather and it's 86 here. Enjoy your hockey season. I coached it for several years and really enjoyed it. I don't have a gazebo but I do cook in a 20x24 metal building that's on a slab. There isn't any kind of weather that can stop me from cooking. Maybe a hurricane. Best of luck surviving the cold!

Even if you can't build a big gazebo you can always buy a cheapie temporary gazebo to get you through the winter. Will make cooking in the winter a little easier. As an added bonus you won't have to shed any tears everytime you see your beautiful setup getting buried in snow.

Still in the 90's at Reef's.

I love winter and hockey (bring it on) and it gets cold here in Chicagoland.  I grew up in northern PA in the Allegheny National Forest, not all that far from Buffalo, NY, we know what snow is all about.  We used to play hockey on frozen over beaver dams. Anyway I digress, when it's snowing heavy I have a sunbrella heavy duty patio umbrella I use, plus I have the sunbrella grill cover Dennis sells. I am all set.

Bosco, I am sure you will figure out a stop gap solution so you can cook over the winter.

The beautiful thing about the KK is the vent cap.  It will allow me to cook all season without concern.  It will be nice to add a gazebo next year that I can get the winter curtains for just to give me a bit of a break.  Last year I had 8' snow drifts where these babies are going.  I have a really good snow blower, however, having the gazebo will be a nice option for the following season. 

I cook all year, and really don't mind the snow.  I just hate shoveling snow banks lol

Do they need to be covered? Or is it just to keep them cleaner?

It is not needed. The mini dome top vent prevents rain/snow from getting in. The base and dome are matching lipped surfaces so even if there was a blowing rain water would have to flow past the gasket and up and over the lip to get into the main body. The gasket is food safe silicone so it won't absorb moisture. And lastly the bottom vent assembly is just that - at the bottom plus it is set into a frame so water can't really get in there.

Yes they are the most water tight kamado on the market.

After you spend so much it would be hard to see it buried in snow. Not that I would ever have to worry. If we get 1/4" of snow once per winter it's close to a miracle and mine is on a covered porch anyway.

• Like 1

The beautiful thing about the KK is the vent cap.  It will allow me to cook all season without concern.  It will be nice to add a gazebo next year that I can get the winter curtains for just to give me a bit of a break.  Last year I had 8' snow drifts where these babies are going.  I have a really good snow blower, however, having the gazebo will be a nice option for the following season. 

I cook all year, and really don't mind the snow.  I just hate shoveling snow banks lol

I'm not a fan of having to shovel to find my grill, that's why I have an outdoor kitchen on the deck just to the left of the sliding glass door. Makes for easy access during the winter. :) I couldn't imagine not being able to grill all winter. Can't go back to cooking meat, etc. on the stove.:(

Winters here in Oklahoma are generally pretty mild, especially compared to those in Canada. I keep my KKs covered when I'm not cooking on them as we can get some precip, but 8' drifts are out of the question down here. Most of my patio is pretty well covered, so I'm pretty safe from any rain, snow, and sleet. As for snow removal, I've got a snow shovel that I will use on the sidewalk in order to get my morning paper. The guys who do my lawn also clear my drive, porch, and patio. And Jose and the guys do one helluva job at a great price.

Speaking of Jose and the guys, they all love the KKs. Every time a new guy joins the crew they bring him in the backyard and show off Beauty! and TheBeast. Jose takes the cover off and opens them up and shows the new guys all around the KKs. After a quick period of admiration, back goes the cover and the guys get back to work. My family has used Jose for lawn and garden work as well as snow removal for over 25 years. Jose and his family are just like family to us. Since my return to Oklahoma, I've used Jose and his crews. My brothers and I always through a party for Jose and his crews at the end of summer. We cook cabrito, carnitas, brisket, etc and we all have a great time together. So rather than spending money on snowblowers, we party hearty every year!

It is not needed. The mini dome top vent prevents rain/snow from getting in. The base and dome are matching lipped surfaces so even if there was a blowing rain water would have to flow past the gasket and up and over the lip to get into the main body. The gasket is food safe silicone so it won't absorb moisture. And lastly the bottom vent assembly is just that - at the bottom plus it is set into a frame so water can't really get in there.

Yes they are the most water tight kamado on the market.

After you spend so much it would be hard to see it buried in snow. Not that I would ever have to worry. If we get 1/4" of snow once per winter it's close to a miracle and mine is on a covered porch anyway.

Thanks man.

Poochie - I had a lawn maintainence business as a kid growing up in addition to paper routes. My lawns were perfect when I was finished. My Mom and Dad would randomly inspect the lawns I did, so I knew they better meet muster or there would be hell to pay. I'd have to refund the money and do it again. It was about the age of 16 that I swore I'd never mow another lawn whe I grew up. And I have kept my word!